DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Haiti

gratefool1

Reactions
Hello all! brand new to drone world and just got a Mavic Pro. I am heading out on a trip to Haiti on a medical mission next week. I have been practicing flying and trying to get used to the camera. The learning curve is steep but I hope I will get a few usable shots of the school and church where we work.
I am not planning on getting very fancy at all but I wanted to ask this community if anyone knows of any issues with flying there? I checked and the only applicable law restricts flight in crowded areas. I have asked our contacts who don't see a problem legally, but I was wondering about practicability. There is no cell reception on the island where we go and certainly no wifi. Electricity is generator only for a few hours a day. I am at the top of a mountain so hopefully GPS will not be an issue.
Any insights and tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks! I will be back in two weeks and once I figure out how to download and share, I will certainly post. As an aside, roughly how many minutes of footage ( I am assuming I will stick to 1080p) will I be able to get on each 64Gb card I have?

Thanks! I will be back in two weeks and once I figure out how to download and share, I will certainly post. As an aside, roughly how many minutes of footage ( I am assuming I will stick to 1080p) will I be able to get on each 64Gb card I have?
Not sure...but I know its a lot. The amount remaining also displays on the right corner of the DJI Go app

Reactions: gratefool1
Just pop the card into your Mavic, fire it up with Go4, and you'll see a display on your screen (assuming you're in video mode, not still shots) of how many minutes recording time you have left. You can vary the camera resolution settings to see how they affect the remaining time. In 1080p, it's a lot of minutes; several hours in fact for 64GB.

I'm sure you're jam-packed busy, but now's the time to get as familiar with your Mavic as you can, before you get there. Good luck.

P.S. You're not bringing just the one SD card, are you? That's a single-point failure opportunity, and they're tiny, so bring as many as you can afford and take them out of the Mavic for backup regularly, in case something goes wrong and you lose it. You don't want to lose your footage as well.

Awesome! I have three cards total but no way to dl while there :/.
Great suggestion to cache the map of the area first. I will research how to do that tonight. Thanks y’all! And thanks for the well wishes!

Awesome! I have three cards total but no way to dl while there :/.

If you can't offload the SD card files to another drive, laptop or cloud storage, you should consider having more SD cards available and swap them for an empty one after every video session that you want to keep. You can help manage this by using 32GB cards, which cost a lot less, and just having more of them - it takes 2-3 flights in 4k to fill one and many more flights in 1080p. In fact, for 1080p, you'd be fine with a ton of 16GB cards, which are pretty cheap.

Unless you're really set on 1080p for some reason, I'd recommend shooting in 2.7k, as I do - it's a good compromise to have smaller file sizes than 4k, can still be played/edited on most modern PCs and laptops, and downscales fine to 1080p. You'll like the increased resolution over 1080p.

I highly doubt there will be any issues, if it's like Dominican Republic next door where I am...everyone is fascinated and enjoys it. Only once had someone tell me to stop flying but he wasn't mad, just doing his job.

See if you can go to Dajabon, where they sell donated items to Dominicans for cheap. Or cap hatien, site of an amazing fortress and palace from the 1800's, amazing history there. God bless you for helping them, medical missionary trips have a place close to my heart as my father met my mother on a missionary trip to Haiti, both are doctors in the USA.

I love that! I wish I could travel to the places you mentioned. Maybe one day. It’s just too busy while there. Last year a young doctor just out of training in the DR joined us to help. She was great!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan