DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catch chain

Bill-R

Reactions
Has anyone tried securing a 24” pull chain (like one for a ceiling light) from their Mavic Pro for safe catching as in from the stern of a boat? I’d think the catcher could grasp the chain and the pilot could then safely cut power to the motors.

Has anyone tried securing a 24” pull chain (like one for a ceiling light) from their Mavic Pro for safe catching as in from the stern of a boat? I’d think the catcher could grasp the chain and the pilot could then safely cut power to the motors.
Then prepare for the pendulum swing or the props getting caught up in the string/chain. No thank you, hand catching is easy enough!

I think the word chain is throwing people off. A string with a weight to keep it away from the props should do. I have not tried this but it looks plausible.
The retrieval was from a moving boat and looked like it would have been easier if the boat was stopped.

I think the word chain is throwing people off. A string with a weight to keep it away from the props should do. I have not tried this but it looks plausible.
The retrieval was from a moving boat and looked like it would have been easier if the boat was stopped.

That's just crazy! The Mavic Pro wants to take off when you grab it and try to pull it down...he's lucky it didn't end up in the drink!

That's just crazy! The Mavic Pro wants to take off when you grab it and try to pull it down...he's lucky it didn't end up in the drink!
Yeah, it looked crazy that they did it from a moving boat but I do like the idea of pulling the craft in instead of trying to fly it in. As for it fighting you, a lot of people disable the downward sensor while flying over water.

Reactions: Drone_guy
If you turn off the bottom sensors (landing protection) it doesn't.

Yeah, it looked crazy that they did it from a moving boat but I do like the idea of pulling the craft in instead of trying to fly it in. As for it fighting you, a lot of people disable the downward sensor while flying over water.

Ahh...Yes...good point!

What if the chain or string (tether?) was secured in a loop? Each end secured to the two fasteners on the rear bottom. Or even the inside of two or more prop arms?

What if the chain or string (tether?) was secured in a loop? Each end secured to the two fasteners on the rear bottom. Or even the inside of two or more prop arms?
Whatever you use will need to be weighted. Prop wash and sudden movements can cause a tether to be caught by the props. If you are going to use it as demonstrated in the video then it should be centrally located to keep it balanced as you pull it in.

How do you kill the props when hand catching? I’ve failed a couple of times... and had to land it

How do you kill the props when hand catching? I’ve failed a couple of times... and had to land it
Once you have a grip on it, remember that it is still flying so it will try to maintain it's position. Lowering it will speed up the props and raising it will slow them down. Left stick down (default configuration) will stop them after a couple seconds.

Once you have a grip on it, remember that it is still flying so it will try to maintain it's position. Lowering it will speed up the props and raising it will slow them down. Left stick down (default configuration) will stop them after a couple seconds.
Ah - thank you. I tried both sticks inward and down (which I thought was how it was set up on mine) but perhaps I didn't wait long enough. Obviously people don't want to do that accidentally during flight.

Turn it on it's side. That will shut it down.
Thanks - I didn't know that. I suspect the drone will resist being turned.

Also: If I were to use the 'string' method being discussed above, that wouldn't be possible, so I'm hoping I can use the controller.

That's just crazy! The Mavic Pro wants to take off when you grab it and try to pull it down...he's lucky it didn't end up in the drink![/QUOTE

Turn off the downward sensor and this won't happen. As others have said, hand-catching is easy enough. A chain or weighted string is recipe for disaster.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez