DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand Catching methods

OK I tried the method of letting it land on your hand, and I tried the method of turning off the downward facing sensors (which is three clicks and a drag to get to that switch) and here is my conclusion: Grabbing that thing while it's moving down, and you are committed to grabbing it because it's heading down, is more dangerous. Once you pull down the stick you are having to grab it while it's moving, and on the Mavic in particularly, the props are not far from your hand under any circumstances. Turning off the downward facing sensors is kind of a PITA. Since I anticipate only having to do occasional hand catches, I'l going with the "turn off the sensor" method. If I had to do it very often, though, I'd probably practice more with the stick down and let it land in your hand method.

I don't like the "grab it from the front" method because you have a lot less to grab and there isn't much to grab anyway. With that method you are holding a drone with spinning props by less than half of the body (so you don't get in the sensor field) while trying not to touch the gimbal, and that's not a secure enough grip on it for me.

My old P3A was easy because you has the landing gear to grab and therefore some reasonable distance from the props.

Reactions: Chase R
Turning off OA is a pain in the ***.
Switching to sports mode to disable OA will work.
I prefer leaving OA on.
I have tried the hand grab method. Just grab the belly and don't hesitate when the motors spin up. The issue with the grabbing is that there is a chance that your fingers can be nipped. I have changed the method of hand catching and I now prefer the palm landing technique. Let the mavic hover at above head height. Put your arms out about 30cm under the belly and hold left stick down until the Mavic lands in your palm and motors switch off.

Another poster said that turning on Sport mode will not disable the downward facing sensors. So I didn't even try it. If it did, that would be the best possible option because switching to Sport is so easy.

Whats the issue? I walk up behind it as it's hovering 6 feet off the ground (I'm 5'8") as it's facing away from me and grab it like you'd squeeze a jar, hold throttle down, the motors spins what feels like up for a second and youre done. I don't shut anything off. Haven't had an issue, my theory is to commit. Don't hesitate haha

Reactions: sportfisher23
Whats the issue? I walk up behind it as it's hovering 6 feet off the ground (I'm 5'8") as it's facing away from me and grab it like you'd squeeze a jar, hold throttle down, the motors spins what feels like up for a second and youre done. I don't shut anything off. Haven't had an issue, my theory is to commit. Don't hesitate haha

I just think this method has a lower margin of error, and I'm really attached to my fingers (musician) ;-)

I still don't understand how you guys initiate a stick command to launch motors while holding a Mavic in your hand. I mean you have to hold your remote one handed with a phone/phab/tab attached to it and use that very same hand to pull two sticks inwards. Just how do you do it?

The way I hand launch when I have to is this... I hold my right arm out, palm up and holding the mavic by the underside (pointing the camera away from me). During power up I will put the controller with my phone on my arm up near the elbow where it's flat and wide, and initiate the CSC to power up. While it's idling I take the remote off my arm and then it's easy to throttle up to a hover. It's not hard or dangerous. Once it's in a hover then you can take your time to organize yourself. Of course, if there is somewhere to set the remote down like a railing/fence/wall or something this would be easier.

I've never had any issues launching this way. With my phantom 3 pro I would do something similar except with the remote hung around my neck it was much easier to hold the quad and power it up.

I just think this method has a lower margin of error, and I'm really attached to my fingers (musician) ;-)

Unless you've got 8 inch long fingers you should never get your fingers close to the blades catching it this way. When I have opted for the grab catch (which doesn't need to be done really), you just aim for the body just behind the gimble where the distance to blades is greatest. I personally go for the auto-land into my open hand, I find this much easier and it does eliminate the attempt of the drone to try and run away from you.

The way I hand launch when I have to is this... I hold my right arm out, palm up and holding the mavic by the underside (pointing the camera away from me). During power up I will put the controller with my phone on my arm up near the elbow where it's flat and wide, and initiate the CSC to power up. While it's idling I take the remote off my arm and then it's easy to throttle up to a hover.

I've done similar....but instead of placing the controller on top of my arm (right arm is up and fully extended in front and up above my head), while holding the controller with my left hand and left joystick down-right, I move the controller towards my right elbow/tricep area to push right joystick down-left...and there ya go. I've seen others use their left leg/thigh/hip to move the right joystick.

With my phantom 3 pro I would do something similar except with the remote hung around my neck it was much easier to hold the quad and power it up.

I do the same with my P3P...and is the reason why I'm still looking for a good/practical way of attaching a lanyard to my Mavic controller. I know there are vids/pics of different options, but haven't decided on which way to go.

My simple method is: 1) Fly the Mavic with orientation 90 Degree to me with all sensors on. 2) I grab firmly the front landing leg bottom with my right hand. 3) I use the left hand to pull the left stick until motors stop. Done!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

My simple method is: 1) Fly the Mavic with orientation 90 Degree to me with all sensors on. 2) I grab firmly the front landing leg bottom with my right hand. 3) I use the left hand to pull the left stick until motors stop. Done!

Does that place a lot of stress on that one Mavic leg/arm?

I get on all fours and land it on my back. ;-)

Edit: I kind of forgot I posted this this morning. Been working all day. Unfortunately it's the internet and who knows who might take this as serious advice. To be clear, do NOT attempt to land the Mavic on your back. It's a very very bad idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomdog and Syphon
During I keep firmly my hand in position, I just recognize a little "push". I believe it will not place a lot of stress on the leg!

Hover next to you turn sensors off put hand under grab center pull down joystick. That's it really that's it. And the sensors mess things up. I have been doing it like this since the first time. And if your mavic is drifting hard calibrate compass.

Turning off OA is a pain in the ***.
Switching to sports mode to disable OA will work.
I prefer leaving OA on.
I have tried the hand grab method. Just grab the belly and don't hesitate when the motors spin up. The issue with the grabbing is that there is a chance that your fingers can be nipped. I have changed the method of hand catching and I now prefer the palm landing technique. Let the mavic hover at above head height. Put your arms out about 30cm under the belly and hold left stick down until the Mavic lands in your palm and motors switch off.

When I switch into sport mode, I get the same engine rev when I hand catch from behind. I prefer to back the drone in to my catch zone as there is noway the forward sensors will cause the drone to move while I grab her. I'll be over water in a boat most of the time so I want to control the drone before I commit to landing it.

Im looking for an attachable handle that would have enough buoyancy to keep the drone from sinking if I crash her into the water.

Reactions: sportfisher23
I'm going to give these landing skids a try. Should make it much easier to hand catch.

There are 3D Print files to make your own skids for free, but I went with these because they have a little suspension system built in. They will probably be too heavy and prone to catching the wind, but I'll give them a try.

I always turned my downward sensors off on P3P unless I was flying indoors without GPS. What's the main problem without using them outside (if you're not autolanding)? Seems easier to hand catch. Mine doesn't drift without the downward sensors . But it does over water with them on. I've had mine off since I got it. I have OA on with front sensors on. I had the impression they were only active a few meters above the ground? But maybe that's just the P3P without the cams.

I am sure I read on here somewhere that someone was saying grab by one of the front legs by hand, power down the stick with the other hand and as the power dies the mavic will just swing down. Anyone tried this? Hands are nowhere near the props or the sensors.

I am sure I read on here somewhere that someone was saying grab by one of the front legs by hand, power down the stick with the other hand and as the power dies the mavic will just swing down. Anyone tried this? Hands are nowhere near the props or the sensors.
Seems like that might be a bit dangerous. If you grab one leg, it might flip over into your arm while trying to right itself.

I think you grab one leg, keeping the Mavic horizontal and as natural as possible then as the motors are cut the drone would drop and you are left just holding it by one leg.
Never tried it but apparently it's one of the safest methods.

I think you grab one leg, keeping the Mavic horizontal and as natural as possible then as the motors are cut the drone would drop and you are left just holding it by one leg.
Never tried it but apparently it's one of the safest methods.

I've actually tried to hold the Mavic on its' one leg (with power off) as someone suggested, but all that weight on one leg and I could feel it bending.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada