DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand Catching methods

Its not a matter of right and wrong. Its a matter of choice. I will not be able to land my Mavic until June. There wont be a spot with out a foot of snow on it for months. I am not going to carry something with me everywhere I go to land the drone, so I will hand catch till then, ideal? No but I make it work. I understand the risk, but have limited options until then. Given the option of landing on flat cement or catching it I would be stupid to catch it but we don't all live in warm Arizona or Texas haha! If you don't understand the risk of reaching up under 4 props spinning you shouldn't be flying this drone, the risk is there, its up to you to minimize it with whatever method you feel is adequate.

Right. You're choosing to do it wrong.

Right. You're choosing to do it wrong.
Yet I am launching and landing no qualms while you're still debating strangers on the internet for opinions.... Launch and land it however you want, how you fly your drone doesn't affect me, if you don't agree don't do it.

Happy flying!

Last edited:
Reactions: TrayBoz and LeMur
I cant play guitar for a week after the incident yesterday catching my Mavic. I say avoid it if at all possible lol

Why I make and been using helipads for years. Don't want kods copying me and hurting themselves!

So I just helipad it

I don't understand why people suggest to disable downward sensors. You don't need to do that.

Just place your right hand under the Mavic and move the left stick all way down. Mavic will firstly descent up to about 50 cm above your hand and then will slightly drop on it.
Don't catch the Mavic, otherwise it will try to escape, just gently hold it and keep the left stick in down position until motors stop.
i've been trying to share and describe this procedure, for 9 months now, good job! ( i musta been mumbling or something)

I prefer to bring the drone in to me, backwards. Then I have the controller in my left hand, reach out slightly from underneath and behind, grab the Mavic below the battery with right hand. Pull down the left stick, with left hand, to kill the motors. No worries.

I just reach between bottom sensors and gimble and the use the left stick to shut it down. Although once I did get a finger popped by a prop because I was standing on a large rock and lost my footing and I must have bumped the stick when slipped.

Me
i've been trying to share and describe this procedure, for 9 months now, good job! ( i musta been mumbling or something)
me
Too just hope people watch video I've seen amazing pilots doing some wierd stuff. Maybe video and photo easier to digest.

Sou
I prefer to bring the drone in to me, backwards. Then I have the controller in my left hand, reach out slightly from underneath and behind, grab the Mavic below the battery with right hand. Pull down the left stick, with left hand, to kill the motors. No worries.
Sounds like my video

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Just turn off landing protection in the app. It's totally useless anyhow. No need to grab behind or between anything. Just grab and shut down engines.

I disagree with everyone here.

Bring to just above head level. Disable downward sensor. Slowly reach up and grab from bottom. Stick down until motors shut off. This gives you all the time in the world to make sure you have a firm grasp. And turning the sensors off doesn't cause it to drift unless you're in OPTI mode. GPS is what keeps it in place.

Grabbing from the front and having to avoid sensors seems too easy trip the sensor. Snatching it out of the air and have it try to pull out of your hand (from not turning the sensors off) is dangerous and stupid. Auto land forces you to catch it at whatever rate its coming down. Better not miss grab because its coming down reguardless.
I find this one very stable and calm way to catch every time !

Reactions: Davidr
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78