DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand Catching

Of course we must be careful. I can think of 100 normal things we do all the time where there is some risk of injury or even death.
There are probably many instances where hand catching your Mavic will bring a better result than ground landing, but if you aren't up to the task, don't do it.
Done carefully and sensibly, nothing to it.;)
Or, you could always wear your falconry glove.

Gonna call you out on this one.

You said you can "...think of 100 NORMAL things we do all of the time where there is some risk of injury or even death." That means you've already thought about them. Okay. List them.

And don't include nonsense like, "You can break your neck sneezing," either. 100 real things.

And don't include nonsense like, "You can break your neck sneezing," either. 100 real things.
I can think of enough things to make hand catching not that scary. I'll bet you can too, if you try.
There are times when it just makes more sense to catch it. IMO

Never said it was scary or that I was afraid of doing it. I just stated the obvious, sane, rational, logical and sensible argument against drone hand catching.

I know drone hand catching is not approved by any drone manufacturer on Earth, not even the good folks making the lightweight, flimsy plastic $100, 4-prop NiCad-battery drone I bought my 13-year-old daughter for Christmas. Prop warnings in the instructions were obvious enough as were my stated warnings about the spinning props to her. If she disregards those warnings and hurts herself, then not only does she have only herself to blame, but then I also didn't raise her right NOT to follow simple instructions, and apparently 13-years-old was still too immature to introduce her to an interest I have and thought we could share.

But like I said, everyone out there is a big person who can and will think and choose for themselves. No one needs me to tell them what to do.

In all sincerity, good luck to everyone who does hand catch their drone, but I won't be flying with any of them. I've seen people hurt by drones. If someone doesn't care enough about their own safety, then what are the chances they'll take MY safety any more seriously? When I used to hunt - many light years ago, in another lifetime - I'd never hunt with an unsafe hunter. Same policy applies to pilots in my book.

Never said it was scary or that I was afraid of doing it. I just stated the obvious, sane, rational, logical and sensible argument against drone hand catching.

I know drone hand catching is not approved by any drone manufacturer on Earth, not even the good folks making the lightweight, flimsy plastic $100, 4-prop NiCad-battery drone I bought my 13-year-old daughter for Christmas. Prop warnings in the instructions were obvious enough as were my stated warnings about the spinning props to her. If she disregards those warnings and hurts herself, then not only does she have only herself to blame, but then I also didn't raise her right NOT to follow simple instructions, and apparently 13-years-old was still too immature to introduce her to an interest I have and thought we could share.

But like I said, everyone out there is a big person who can and will think and choose for themselves. No one needs me to tell them what to do.

In all sincerity, good luck to everyone who does hand catch their drone, but I won't be flying with any of them. I've seen people hurt by drones. If someone doesn't care enough about their own safety, then what are the chances they'll take MY safety any more seriously? When I used to hunt - many light years ago, in another lifetime - I'd never hunt with an unsafe hunter. Same policy applies to pilots in my book.
I agree with you - I'm not an advocate either. A good landing pad is always preferred, but if one isn't available, it certainly isn't difficult to do it as shown in the video link posted above by 4wd. Easy peasy. BTW: the guy in the video looks like someone I wouldn't mind flying around.

Sure accidents will happen, but you don't stop climbing ladders, riding bicycles, driving cars, flying in planes or taking showers when you hear of one.

Related: Have you seen the new prop cage offered by Dji? It's expensive and cuts down flight time, but should virtually eliminate damage or injury to people or property. The biggest concern [to me] is causing injury to others. That would be indefensible.

I just tried hand catching today for the first time ,the method I tried was to have the craft hover at about 6 feet then Engage The Auto land sequence and as it starts to come down you gently grab it from beneath and behind hold on firmly and pull down with the left stick until the motors shut off.( the motors seem to run at full power for a few seconds while you hold on to it, so just hold on firmly until the motors stop with the left stick held down the whole time) seemed to work pretty well.
That's how I do it; works for me.

Reactions: RFaust
I just tried hand catching today for the first time ,the method I tried was to have the craft hover at about 6 feet then Engage The Auto land sequence and as it starts to come down you gently grab it from beneath and behind hold on firmly and pull down with the left stick until the motors shut off.( the motors seem to run at full power for a few seconds while you hold on to it, so just hold on firmly until the motors stop with the left stick held down the whole time) seemed to work pretty well.

I don't hand catch, but I'd suggest catching lower and actually lifting gently - should cause it to lower power in reaction while you pull the power.

How about just a big fishing net, like they use for deep sea fishing ... aluminum tube frame is light and you should be able to just drop it in, using the "emergency engine off" sequence that is the same as for starting up .. both sticks down and towards center ...
Should work like a charm .. if someone tries, let us know.

How about just a big fishing net, like they use for deep sea fishing ... aluminum tube frame is light and you should be able to just drop it in, using the "emergency engine off" sequence that is the same as for starting up .. both sticks down and towards center ...

It works for the drone racing on tv :), I might try it in my kayak.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Ha Ha - that's better than my falconry glove idea. Just swipe it out of the air.
But seriously, you should never use the CSC procedure to stop the motors. It will cause the Mavic to roll, even if it's on the ground. Left stick down only.

I'm surprised no one has come out with a set of landing gear connector arms similar to what the Phantom has.

I wrote this elsewhere on the forums:

I played around with hand catching last year sometime with one of my racing quads but have never felt comfortable with it:

If you need to catch/release by hand don't catch like a turtle :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks, if you're going to do this, then for God's sake be careful. You're all big boys and girls who can choose for yourselves whether or not to follow simple instructions. Personally, I think there's a valid reason that DJI starts its instructions off stressing to avoid the spinning props, issuing all of its prop warnings, and so on. I'll start hand catching when I read the manufacturer's instructions - written by a drone's designers or engineers - telling me HOW to catch THEIR drone that was specially designed to be caught. Until I read instructions of that sort, hand catching will never be for me.

There's an infamous, fairly recent video of pop singer Enrique Iglesias hand catching a drone onstage during one of his shows. He had done it dozens of times before as part of his act to train the drone camera on his audience instead of himself, no problem. The folks loved it and they flipped. You can be sure he had one of the best drone pilots available working with him, too, and that his handlers had EVERYTHING figured out and practiced down to the last detail.

But this night, as seen in this video, Iglesias falters or fumbles, and quickly finds himself grabbing onto the business end of the drone, flinging it quickly to the ground and then running offstage with several severely cut and bloody fingers. At the hospital he was diagnosed with a fractured hand and more complications than initially believed. His injuries were formidable.

Me, I like my fingers, nose and face just the way they are. They may not be perfect, but I appreciate their arrangement and symmetry. And if I ever DO decide to permanently alter them, it won't be by using an unfeeling, multi-bladed flying machine without anesthesia in the middle of a river or on the side of a mountain

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I race motorcycles - like hundreds of thousands of others. Catching my Mavic is not particularly risky. But like motorcycles, yes it's "riskier" than not doing it. I only do it when another landing is not optimal. If you don't feel comfortable, then definitely don't do it.

I caught my Mavic by hand today because of rocky terrain. I turned off the bottom sensors. The Mavic is so stable. You still need to watch your hand and finger placement.

Is there an emergency button to cut off the power, so that the propellers stop spinning immediately?

Is there an emergency button to cut off the power, so that the propellers stop spinning immediately?

No emergency button:
004555np9kfch7okfzff2o.jpg

Get Weatherguard floor mats in your car, flip the rear one upside down, you've got yourself a launch/landing pad.

Of course! Why didn't I think of using the car floor mats!

Here I have been thinking about using an old cereal box or maybe the front window fold up sun shade, something light to carry, but I worried both would blow away. Floor mat is heavy enough to stay put from prop wash and good chance I would be driving to most of my spots anyway.

Perfect solution, free, and I keep my fingers.

Thanks!

/I love this forum

What I (and many others do) is to hover the Mavic at head to shoulder height with camera facing you. If you grab from the front and slightly below (just past the camera) it is easy to hand catch. (I use my other my other hand to pull the throttle all the way down so the motors shut off after getting a good hold).

Same here. No messing about switching modes/sensors off. Just move your hand in from the front of the aircraft slowly and grasp firmly. As a result, mine never reacts to my hand's proximity, so never revs up in response.

I turned the bottom sensors off because I flew over water. After the latest update the Mavic drifted and lost altitude with the sensors off. Before the update it was rock solid with or without the bottom sensors being on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028