DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand Catching

Finally got outside after days of rain and shot a tutorial on how I hand catch my Mavic. I know there are many methods but I suggest this for the beginner. Hope it helps someone!

Hand catching demystified. I've hand caught my phantom without a second thought, but due too the low profile I never thought I would try that with the Mavic. Seems simple enough after watching your video. Thanks for doing that. You've probably saved a few fingers.

Reactions: iFlyForFun
Yeah thanks for this I might try tomorrow for the first time - am I correct in thinking that DJI in their infinite wisdom have renamed things and what I want to turn off is now called downward vision?

Yeah thanks for this I might try tomorrow for the first time - am I correct in thinking that DJI in their infinite wisdom have renamed things and what I want to turn off is now called downward vision?
You should probably watch the video again where it shows how to turn off Landing protection.
Select: Visual Navigation Settings>Advanced settings>turn off Landing protection.
Capture.JPG
It's not too much extra work for the occasional hand catch. (Turning off Vision positioning would most likely work also.

You should probably watch the video again where it shows how to turn off Landing protection.
Select: Visual Navigation Settings>Advanced settings>turn off Landing protection.
View attachment 8195
It's not too much extra work for the occasional hand catch. (Turning off Vision positioning would most likely work also.
No, vision position does not work! Only option is turn off landing Protection!

Reactions: RFaust
Guys, it's really easy to land on a place that's little bigger than the mavic. With camera facing down I can't see many situations where there would be no place to land. But that said I understand that there are circumstances where there is no suitable landing place like in snow or some areas, but most of the time, just look around.

Practice to land in tight spots on save place before tough.

If you guys really like the excitement of hand-catching a Mavic, why not try hand-juggling a set of large steak knives next?

Reactions: tictag
No, vision position does not work! Only option is turn off landing Protection!
Several weeks ago I was practicing hand catching, and when I turned off downward VPS, the Mavic did not rise with my hand underneath. It behaved just like your video shows. Does the new update change this behavior? I haven't tried it lately.

I appreciate the comments but must disagree with the steak knife analogy. First, as I stated in my video, I was specifically trying to help new pilots who seem to be cutting themselves at an alarming rate. You are not always going to find a good spot to land. That is a perception based on ones own flying habits. If you fly from your backyard or the park around the corner then yes, you can most likely never need to hand catch. I have had the need to hand catch 4 or 5 times in 20 or 30 flights but at least I know how and I've practiced it to perfection. Today I was flying from an apple orchard and the grass was way to high to land. I did not want to carry a landing matt so I hand launched and hand caught it. IMHO, the way I approach hand catching is safe and you would never get me to try juggling steak knives!

I can only tell you that I experimented with every toggle and the only one I could find that did what I wanted was the " Landing Protection" toggle.
Do you remember what happened you tried the method I described above? I am going to test it again, as well as your method, I just don't have time right now and I would like your input anyway.

Yeah I did it today and I'm risk averse. Sure the mavic could drop a prop at that exact moment when you bring it in close or some similar failure could mess up your day, but everything is a risk and provided it's done with care and forethought I don't think the risk of hand catching is excessive. I was able to keep comfortably clear of the props throughout.

It is not something I want to make a habit of, but I had to do it the first time yesterday. Several dogs showed up around me so I couldn't land it, the battery was beeping low, a bit of a cluster but worked out ok.

I turned the vision down sensor off, grabbed it from the underside, and then pulled the sticks down, and outward. The props appeared to decrease in rpm, and not entirely turn off for a few seconds. Is that normal, or if you do the CSC properly should they immediately stop?

Also I noticed I had to release the CSC back to neutral stick position before the props stopped.

By default, CSC will only stop the motors mid-flight in an emergency. When holding the left stick down for 3 seconds, the motors will shut off. That's why it took longer than expected.

If you'd like CSC to always stop the motors mid-flight, you'll need to configure that setting in the following section of DJI GO:

Android:
DJI-GO-Stop-Motor-Method-Android.jpg

Apple:
DJI-GO-Stop-Motor-Method-Apple.jpg

It is not something I want to make a habit of, but I had to do it the first time yesterday. Several dogs showed up around me so I couldn't land it, the battery was beeping low, a bit of a cluster but worked out ok.

I turned the vision down sensor off, grabbed it from the underside, and then pulled the sticks down, and outward. The props appeared to decrease in rpm, and not entirely turn off for a few seconds. Is that normal, or if you do the CSC properly should they immediately stop?

Also I noticed I had to release the CSC back to neutral stick position before the props stopped.
You only need to lower down onto your hand and motors will stop.
It's probably best to switch off landing protection but even that not essential.
VPS can be left on, makes no difference.
IMO Mavic is easier and safer to hand catch than Phantom because it's so well balanced when you lower the belly onto your hand.

I practically always hand catch and usually hand launch with auto take off too.
Camera, Gimbal and Props are all too close to the ground if it's wet, dusty, or less than perfectly smooth.

You only need to lower down onto your hand and motors will stop.
It's probably best to switch off landing protection but even that not essential.
VPS can be left on, makes no difference.
IMO Mavic is easier and safer to hand catch than Phantom because it's so well balanced when you lower the belly onto your hand.

I practically always hand catch and usually hand launch with auto take off too.
Camera, Gimbal and Props are all too close to the ground if it's wet, dusty, or less than perfectly smooth.

This is REALLY BAD advice. Catching a moving drone is asking for trouble. This guy is absolutely giving out dangerous advice, making it look easy. What happens of an unexpected gust of wind pushes it 5" to the side at the moment it gets to your hand and it's descending. Hello emergency room.

The correct way:
1. Hover the craft at 6' so the craft is easily grabbed, props above head level.
2. With your hands OFF THE STICKS, watch the craft a couple seconds to insure it's stable.
3. Grab the craft near the battery release buttons, middle finger and thumb on the sides., squeeze.
4. Hold the craft in place at catch level while you push the left stick full down
5. Wait for the motors to stop 3 sec later, then bring the craft down from 6', turn off the craft battery.

Before you attempt this, with the craft off, inspect the craft and plan where and how you will grab the craft when it's hovering. Notice where near the battery buttons you have good clearance from the props, when grabbing from below.

BTW, VPS can be turned off so the craft doesn't ascend when you try to grab it, however with practice, when you approach the craft from the front, you can grab it before it tries to ascend. With VPS on, the craft will fight you more and try to ascend when you hold it in place, but it's not bad. Turn it off is best, if you know where it's at in the app to access quickly.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661