DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand gestures

Czech_dude

Reactions
Hello, I am considering buying either mavic 2 pro or Air.. Pro 2 has many.. well.. pros but there are some cons. The most serious one is the gesture control. I read that you can't use it on pro 2, but how is that? And are tgey going to make an update that will add the gestures control?

Hello, I am considering buying either mavic 2 pro or Air.. Pro 2 has many.. well.. pros but there are some cons. The most serious one is the gesture control. I read that you can't use it on pro 2, but how is that? And are they going to make an update that will add the gestures control?
I am not too sure how much hand gestures would work with what I consider an outside drone. The smaller Air can make use of them if you are close enough, inside. I would not feel comfortable relying on hand gestures to control my $1000.00 investment outside. If gestures are important, vs flight time, go for the Air.

I am not too sure how much hand gestures would work with what I consider an outside drone. The smaller Air can make use of them if you are close enough, inside. I would not feel comfortable relying on hand gestures to control my $1000.00 investment outside. If gestures are important, vs flight time, go for the Air.
Yet the first pro had it so.. But thats a good point. I may be ordering the air then.

Mavic Pro to take selfies only I think. The Air as a real selfie drone has all those goodies.

The M2 is and will not.

There are hand gestures on the Mavic Pro . They are where you can wave at the Mavic and it focuses on the subject and then make your two hands into a box shape and wait a minute and it will snap your picture for a selfie.

One of the most underutilized features on the Mavic. The gestures are gimmicky unless you buy a drone to fly out and turn around and snap a photo. That gets old after the sparkle wears off.

Better idea to get a Mavic 2 with superior lens , sensor, APAS, more flight time , and range.

Reactions: BurninCoco
If you're considering the M2P, then you're wanting the better camera. If you want a closer comparison to M1P or air, then that would be the zoom, not the pro.

Considering all of the features, camera quality, etc. - how often would you actually use hand gestures vs. the other stuff? They're a cool gimmick but in the long run, probably a very small part of how you would utilize the drone. Just my 2 cents.

Considering all of the features, camera quality, etc. - how often would you actually use hand gestures vs. the other stuff? They're a cool gimmick but in the long run, probably a very small part of how you would utilize the drone. Just my 2 cents.
Well yeah, guess Im a kinda show-off. It just seemed so cool and stuff

The hand gestures an the MA are pretty cool, I use them quite a lot for a quick controllerless selfie and initiating follow me mode.

In my opinion, gesture features were a marketing gimmick to garner attention.

Its only wow the first few times, then it's redundant.

I'd much much much rather DJI spend the resources fine tuning it developing active track and/or other intelligent flight modes.

There are always features that some are not likely to use often or ever, and if that is so, then don't use it. But if the newer gesture algorithm makes the feature suitably useable as a selfie stick, then why on Earth not keep it in the feature set? It doesn't mean that development of the other features need to suffer any--just a more robust feature set! Also, if the inclusion of that feature generates even the sale of one more drone, then isn't that a win? It has already been developed...just include it! Memory and programming don't make the weight of the drone go up...no downside. Personally, I'm sad that it isn't there. I would have made use of it. A high end camera taking outside pictures of the family without someone holding a controller in the picture. Or being at a vista without having to give your phone to a stranger for a pic...you are in complete control. What a shame. Don't get me wrong, I love the M2P, but if I'd realized the omission, I might have opted for the damned Air instead.

If hand gestures is the main concern, consider a Spark for half the price..... less capable than others, but it is truly the “selfie” drone.
I mostly fly my M2P, but still love it for the niche.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman