DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand held aviation radios for AROC certified drone operators

Dronerock

Reactions
I am in the market for a reasonably priced aviation hand held radio to communicate and monitor aviation frequencies.
I have a CASA certificate for entering aviation frequencies when necessary for operating drones where it is necessary to communicate and monitor aircraft movements or airport communications.
I would appreciate some input from members which radios they feel do the job without extreme cost

I have an Icom hand held, works great for listening to local air traffic, but haven't got AROC or use it to transmit.

I can't recall what it cost, but Icoms site states "Icom’s most affordable (VHF) Air Band Transceiver (For ground and air operations)".

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world. You will get plenty of feedback on this forum.

Reactions: Gagey52 and GFields
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Reactions: Gagey52
Well, welcome back

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gagey52
I am in the market for a reasonably priced aviation hand held radio to communicate and monitor aviation frequencies.
I have a CASA certificate for entering aviation frequencies when necessary for operating drones where it is necessary to communicate and monitor aircraft movements or airport communications.
I would appreciate some input from members which radios they feel do the job without extreme cost
What model of ICOM Radio do you have?

Reactions: LoudThunder
I have and have used often an Icom A-21. Solid unit. I power it with lithium AA’s, not the nicads. It reaches about five miles on the ground and 25 aloft. Your mileage WILL vary. One would not want to transmit while flying drones, unless there were some kind of dyer emergency.

Knowing the intentions of manned aircraft in controlled airspace is useful. The A-21 helps with this, as do various flight apps.

I use a Yaesu Radio and love it. here is a link to the one that I use. Yaesu FTA-450L COM Aviation Transceiver It uses a Lithium Ion batterie and has a choice of using AA batteries if you want. This works great. The customer support is great as well with this.

I have and have used often an Icom A-21. Solid unit. I power it with lithium AA’s, not the nicads. It reaches about five miles on the ground and 25 aloft. Your mileage WILL vary. One would not want to transmit while flying drones, unless there were some kind of dyer emergency.

Knowing the intentions of manned aircraft in controlled airspace is useful. The A-21 helps with this, as do various flight apps.
Thanks for the info

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13