DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand holding the camera at arms length while hiking

ff22

Reactions
Along with the movement along the trail, the lighting changes from shady to dappled to bright sun. I think the camera performs quite well. But I admit this is my first action camera and I have nothing to compare it with. The Youtube quality is not terrific. It is not as sharp as the original. Not sure how to control the resolution if possible. But it does show that it is fairly steady.

A longer, boring segment of my hiking with the Action. Near the end I transition from smoother boardwalk to rocky trail.

Reactions: Kbones
Looks like you shot in 4:3 aspect ratio, which doesn't have Rocksteady stabilization available. So if you want smoother footage next time, switch to 16:9 and make sure Rocksteady is on. RS would smooth out most of the sway from walking.

Reactions: ff22
Looks like you shot in 4:3 aspect ratio, which doesn't have Rocksteady stabilization available. So if you want smoother footage next time, switch to 16:9 and make sure Rocksteady is on. RS would smooth out most of the sway from walking.
I think that Rocksteady was on. At least, I see that as a choice for 2.7K(4:3) at 30fps. Hmm. I don't see any option to take a screenshot but I just changed back to that setting and RS shows in the upper right display. By the way, I just snapped a picture of how I was hand holding the camera on the hike and added it.

After looking at my footage I did change to 16:9 in any event. But thanks for responding - still learning about this new toy! (g)73948

Last edited:
At least on my unit Rocksteady turns off (button turns to grey, and it's crossed over by a line) on 4K 4:3.

Ah, only now noticed you mentioned you were shooting at 2.7K – that mode indeed does seem to have Rocksteady on 4:3 also.

Ah, only now noticed you mentioned you were shooting at 2.7K – that mode indeed does seem to have Rocksteady on 4:3 also.
I guess I've not experimented enough. I keep Rocksteady on but should try my simple walking/hiking with it off to see the difference. I am planning a bike ride today but I don't have any mounting device. And I won't ride the bike one handed!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard