DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

hand launch problem - camera not pointing straight forward

new2mavic

Reactions
I noticed the other day when my Mavic 2 Pro was hovering above my head that the camera was pointing to the side with an offset of 10 degrees or so. Then I landed it, powered it off and then back on before taking off from the ground. The direction offset of the camera disappeared. It seems that the offset was somehow caused by moving the drone around after it was powered on. I did let the drone rest on a flat surface when the gimbal was initializing but once the drone is move, the camera occasionally does not point straight forward. Just wondering if anyone has the same experience.

Last edited:
There was a similar thread a couple of weeks ago, will see if I can find it . . .

Think there was two threads actually, as I hadn't seen this one before.

Not sure if either of these will help, but worth a read.

If you are using a Smart Controller, the default programming for the 5D button is UP centers gimbal and points the camera straight down. Repeat and it points camera forward. You can also pan the camera by swiping the screen, but that's hard to center with.

Reactions: Gindra
If you are using a Smart Controller, the default programming for the 5D button is UP centers gimbal and points the camera straight down. Repeat and it points camera forward. You can also pan the camera by swiping the screen, but that's hard to center with.
That's not what he's talking about, but that could recenter the gimbal yaw. It does when you yaw/pan the gimbal using the screen.

Reactions: bumper
That's not what he's talking about, but that could recenter the gimbal yaw. It does when you yaw/pan the gimbal using the screen.

Yes, I was referring to the 5D switch up position as it does center gimbal yaw (while also raises or lowers the camera). There may be other ways to recenter the camera (powering off the drone works), besides what I found to be the imprecise screen swiping method, but I'm a newbie with the SC and pushing the 5D switch up gets it done! :)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
5D switch on the stock RC works the same way, or can be programmed to do so, if it isn't the default. Highly recommended. The press and hold drag of the camera to either side is too easy to do inadvertently, while trying to wipe something off the screen in flight! This is is the only fix to reset it, without landing and power cycling!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt