DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC PRO..GIMBAL PROBLEM

Newt64

Reactions
MAVIC PRO

I have to admit, I need a hand. I have a Mavic Pro. As yet I have not flown it.
Thats because I am having trouble finding the CORRECT way to centre the camera (gimbal).

So if, I were to take off the camera is pointing slightly off centre. I am sure that it really should aim dead central
and not starting as it is? I have tried to get it to sort itself out but,
when I start it and the controller (I have attempted to use the centering on the controller but it dosnt seem to help)

I get a message on my ipad saying, “ITS OVERLOADED but, there is nothing on it”!

Thats it any (not rude) suggestions?

Many thanks “in advance”!IMG_0002.jpgIMG_0005.jpg

Reactions: Prophet
Try a gimbal calibration.

If you still get overload messages (or the calibration fails) then it's defective.

Reactions: Newt64
Did you buy this drone new? The 1st thing you should try is the gimbal calibration. If that doesn't work and you bought it new, you should send it back and get a different one. Don't send it in under warranty if it is new. Just return it and buy a different one.

If you still get overload messages (or the calibration fails) then it's defective.

Thanks very much. I came to the same conclusion. I am now attempting to get it repaired by DJI, but "I don't hold out much hope"?:(

Reactions: Former Member
Did you buy this drone new? The 1st thing you should try is the gimbal calibration. If that doesn't work and you bought it new, you should send it back and get a different one. Don't send it in under warranty if it is new. Just return it and buy a different one.

Thanks very much. I came to the same conclusion. I am now attempting to get it repaired by DJI, but "I don't hold out much hope"?:(

Is the gimbal seated correctly this happened to me after a hard landing and the gimbal popped out of the position it was supposed to be in. See the attached picture and make sure the gimbal mount is oreintated underneath and not popped out in someway, in my case the gimbal mount was popped out in the rear and not underneath the clip

This is often overlooked when diagnosising gimbal issues is just to make sure it’s seated correctly before trying any sort of calibration

Attachments

• 83FA2F50-5EA0-49DA-9B6C-93A91E0755D8.jpeg
    83FA2F50-5EA0-49DA-9B6C-93A91E0755D8.jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 77
  • E052E842-13AD-4D4A-AA99-315ABC25A781.jpeg
    E052E842-13AD-4D4A-AA99-315ABC25A781.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Prophet and Newt64
Is the gimbal seated correctly this happened to me after a hard landing and the gimbal popped out of the position it was supposed to be in. See the attached picture and make sure the gimbal mount is oreintated underneath and not popped out in someway, in my case the gimbal mount was popped out in the rear and not underneath the clip

This is often overlooked when diagnosising gimbal issues is just to make sure it’s seated correctly before trying any sort of calibration

I 'm not sure what I'm doing but, I will "GENTLY" try and see if there is an issue. Many thanks for the suggestion though!Thumbswayup

I 'm not sure what I'm doing but, I will "GENTLY" try and see if there is an issue. Many thanks for the suggestion though!Thumbswayup

Just look to see if it’s all seated correctly look at my two attached pics for reference the front might be on but it might be not under the plastic clip in the rear, it will be apparent from just a visual inspection

Just look to see if it’s all seated correctly look at my two attached pics for reference the front might be on but it might be not under the plastic clip in the rear, it will be apparent from just a visual inspection

I have had a look and it (the gimbal)seems normal. However, onlooking closely it appears the actual camera is itself non alined ie: the gimbal is straight the camera is off to one side!:(

Return it and get a new one, don't send it off to be repaired. Better to get another brand new one that suffer what DJI may send back to you, which may be refurbished, not new.

Better to get another brand new one that suffer what DJI may send back to you, which may be refurbished, not new.
That's a great point. DJI usually does send back refurbished equipment when sending anything in to be repaired.

Reactions: dbyantis
Return it and get a new one, don't send it off to be repaired. Better to get another brand new one that suffer what DJI may send back to you, which may be refurbished, not new.
msinger said:
That's a great point. DJI usually does send back refurbished equipment when sending anything in to be repaired.

I used DJICare once and could not tell the replacement from new. It was a refurb I’m sure, but I am pleased.

Reactions: msinger
msinger said:

I used DJICare once and could not tell the replacement from new. It was a refurb I’m sure, but I am pleased.

Youre lucky. Many times the refurb is worse than the one people send in, plus it has a whole different set of problems.

Better to stick with the devil you know rather than deal with the devil you dont.

You should also watch for the 4 little elastics holding the gimbal plate, they reduce gimbal vibrations ...they can easily pop out after hard landing.
Check gimbal wires! There is a grey one, which is for image transmission from the lens to the drone, hiden by covers on the bottom of the lens, and another one, more important to check, which is to power jour gimbal motors...this one is flat and black, and is running along the gimbal... This one can be twisted and may lock the gimbal... Watch some tutos to see how it should ne and compare with your gimbal! ;)

Reactions: Thomas B
Check gimbal wires! ...more important to check... power your gimbal motors...this one is flat and black, and is running along the gimbal... This one can be twisted and may lock the gimbal... Watch some tutos to see how it should be and compare with your gimbal! ;)
This is actually more common than folks think and can spoil a day. Besides inspection I always watch the gimbal motor startup sequence.

This is often the experience I hear whenever people mention getting a refurb. It's just something important to know though since some people would rather have their original drone back (no matter the cost). And in this case, I'd personally be a bit disappointed to get a refurb in place of a brand new drone that was never flown.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
What country are you in. Look at your condumer protection laws. In Australia it is the retailers job to sort out warrenty claims.

What country are you in. Look at your condumer protection laws. In Australia it is the retailers job to sort out warrenty claims.
In U.S. ... Here most manufacturers enclose a statement not to contact the retailer, but instead to contact them for warranty service,
In my case I really couldn’t expect the reseller (retail outlet) to replace a drone that I broke due to pilot error after I had been flying it for 2 months. It’s the reason I got DJICare, which fortunately worked painlessly for me.

Why are you attempting to get it repaired by DJI? Thats the last thing I would do if I could still return it to where I bought it from. You just bought a new drone, dont let them send you a refurb.

Thanks for the tip. But, if I get another Mavic returned and not mine, I will know. I have a photo of all the serial numbers etc.
Why are you attempting to get it repaired by DJI? Thats the last thing I would do if I could still return it to where I bought it from. You just bought a new drone, dont let them send you a refurb.

It wasn't new. It was used. But, appeared to my untrained eye to be in excellent condition. However, having it a few weeks and eventually about to fly, I noticed that after start up, the gimbal did not return to centre! see my pic. I tried the set it up correctly on the controller but, no good. I again noticed on the info screen, a notice saying the gimbal was overloaded? What? there was/is nothing on it! I now realise it is permanently "off centre"! It may be trivial correction needed but, since I'm new I couldn't tell and I wonder if I take it in to DJI or another company they'll tell me it's a major problem and after sucking of teeth and thumbing through the price list, rip me off? Anyone know an honest DJI repair company? That apart, how can I tell how old the Mavic is ?

Again, to any and all thanks in advance for any helpful advice (not rude ones thanks)

Mike N

IMG_0002.jpgthey'll tell me its a very serious problem and charge me the earth?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gshu