DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand-made Yagi Uda adapter antenna

Yes Indeed. I'm questioning the first post on this thread with the 3 photos. That is the one that appears to mount onto the controller with the elements horizontal.
As you have some experience in radio communications, are you maybe aware of any exceptions that might concern calculating yagi antennas for 5.8 GHz? All the calculators indicate directors’ length to be 23 mm, while the thinigverse project/ebay offer use 14.5 mm directors.

For what I've seen in these 3D printed designs is that the Yagi/Uda adapter on the right hand side sits too high on the mast because inside, picture evidence shows the emitting part of the antenna is located the lower part, lower than the left side antenna which is about right on spot to where the Y/U adapter sits.

Reactions: riri19
As you have some experience in radio communications, are you maybe aware of any exceptions that might concern calculating yagi antennas for 5.8 GHz? All the calculators indicate directors’ length to be 23 mm, while the thinigverse project/ebay offer use 14.5 mm directors.
I tried using an online calculator, but the antenna did not work well.
Therefore, I used the sizes from the project found on the Internet. I checked these sizes in the MMANA program, and got good results. It also worked well in flight.

Скриншот 2020-03-16 16.01.15.pngСкриншот 2020-03-16 16.00.40.png

That is my project on thingiverse

Last edited:
Reactions: jumpingbean
I tried using an online calculator, but the antenna did not work well.
Therefore, I used the sizes from the project found on the Internet. I checked these sizes in the MMANA program, and got good results. It also worked well in flight.

View attachment 96705View attachment 96706

That is my project on thingiverse

Thank you for the comprehensive answer! That explains it perfectly. I’m happy to see that this is indeed a mature and well-thought project.
Congratulations on the design! It makes flying the MM such a blast when you don’t have to worry about signal dropping.

Have you considered lengthening the antenna for more gain? Would simply adding more directors work, or there is some more complicated stuff going on?

Have you considered lengthening the antenna for more gain? Would simply adding more directors work, or there is some more complicated stuff going on?
With high gain, there will be a very narrow radiation pattern. You need to aim very accurately. I did not do high gain.

Reactions: Hydrostan
Hi,
this is the report of my night fligh.....

1588024238409.png

At 1124mt get signal lost and mounted yagi 5.8Ghz 3d printed from @cylllka project
All the way back is with yagi on

My metal bar of the Yagi antenna is made from harmonic iron.
Just for share

Reactions: fificap
It doesn't seem particularly convincing, but also it does not seem that you were pushing to establish the max ceiling distance that caused the connection to drop again.

No,
it was just a test on a known path
And anyway, even at 150mt of height the signal has not improved
I think it's the big flaw of the mini

My experience with Yagi is positive , i recall my data : Many many test to be able to performe statistical analysis , a) same test area ,b) same flight path,c) 100 mt high to vaoid with 5,8 tree influence d) rural area e) house and bulding very separate more than 500 mt f) only 2 farm along the path . Test performed on Mavic code d25 (CE) with manual fq selection 1) on 2,4 2) on 5,8 ....in default CE (no Fake GPS) yagi antenna installed on both controller antenna just to clarify 2-5,8 or 2-2,4 and also on mavic code ss5 (FCC) 58 fccyagi.jpgphoto_2020-02-12_22-15-55.jpgphoto_2020-02-12_22-15-15.jpg

Is the same Yagi ? printed 3D ?
I can't belive may Mini cant fly more then 1300mt in full FCC (MT1SS5) in EU with hack
In your first image stated a medium range of 2050mt with stock antennaIm in a urban area, ok, but there is a lot of difference

Is the same Yagi ? printed 3D ?
I can't belive may Mini cant fly more then 1300mt in full FCC (MT1SS5) in EU with hack
In your first image stated a medium range of 2050mt with stock antennaIm in a urban area, ok, but there is a lot of difference
I specify that is rural area not urban area

Do you think this is the real effective difference ?
Where I can find your antenna project ?
I use the old russian project , that you found on internet , i just modify the 3d model to reduce plastic in front the antenna and to use 2.5 mm dia for the 2.4 ghz version is a suggestion from Russian designer and my metal is aluminum (iron is not the best one) . But probaly again my test area is : rural area and 100 mt high. Another small notice from my chart . You can see that dispersion of the result is much higher on yaji , due to the difficult to be well oriented (even if it is for me much better then parabolic add-on solution) And again in city area probably the difference is lower. Remember that are passive solution so in very high wifi area ...better to add active antenna (booster)

Reactions: vadda
Just another quick test
On the left witout Yagi, ont the right with yagi, gained arount 600mt, not so bad :)
Same path from/to home point

1588095169863.png1588095214283.png

Which reminds me of something I only recently learned: If you open the Google Translate app on you phone and click the camera icon, you can point it at text and it will automatically identify the language and translate it. (Say what you will about Google -- and I do -- but they have some awesome technology.)

Reactions: vadda
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929