DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Handheld-to-Flying video camera brainstorm/contest

NOLADG

Reactions
I shot this concept video test some time ago, but thought it might be neat to discuss it here. I saw a music video which appeared to be filmed in one take, where the video camera moved among the band members during the song, but near the end, the camera flew backwards giving a nice dronie shot of the entire scene: Muete-Gula. It got my brain thinking, What can I do with that concept? I have seen videos where people used their drones as handheld video cameras and combined them with flying videos in post production, but not one steady recording.

One day when my wife was about to leave to work I decided to test the theory. My Mavic Air in my right hand and controller in the left. (No lanyard unfortunately) I stuck the drone through the rolled down passenger window of her car and and started filming as she headed off:

I was actually impressed at how well the video came out, considering I was doing the handling and flying of the drone myself. It would be easier with a "camera" person holding the drone and doing the carrying shots and a separate pilot. Fortunately I didn't have a sound track to sync it to so just picked out something that made it seem like a Nissan commercial. ;)

So what are your thoughts? In what other creative ways can we use this handheld-to-flying video camera concept? Lets see some videos!

I'm thinking you were way to near those power lines !!!
Besides that, the Air motors weren't running at the start, but you powered up about 12 seconds mark ?

I'm not sure the Meute video didn't have the drone flying from the outset, using zoom for close ups and tripod type mode.

Interesting, kinda like this one I posted a long while ago, one I found on YouTube . . .

Note: I originally placed this post in another forum section as I wanted the discussion about the concept and use of this idea. but a moderator moved it to the Photo and Video Showcase.

The power lines are in front of my house, but were very easy to avoid as my flight went straight up about 15-20' and of course I had a very close line of sight to the drone. And correct the motors were not running at the start which made matters more difficult trying to start them with one hand. But I figured it would be better than risking bumping the running props against the door frame of the car.

Wow. Neat video MAvic_South_Oz! It looked like these guys put a lot of work into their video. The extra hands definitely helped out in handling and positioning the drone/camera while the Pilot in Command could keep his focus.

I'm not sure the Meute video didn't have the drone flying from the outset, using zoom for close ups and tripod type mode.

I got the impression it was handheld as I thought I could see a pretty definite "bump" when the drone went airborne. Similarly my video has this "bump" which is how you got the 12 second mark on the spin up.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Apart from wires proximity (and I believe that you were aware of them and in control, just saying), I think it's a great idea, any (safe) moves that could bring some kind of "twist" into otherwise "regular" looking shot is always a good thing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078