DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harbor Freight $29 case

really cool idea.

I just got back from harbor freight and did not buy any of these cases. Just didn't like the quality at all. The handle and the latches seemed cheap. The case seemed to be ok but owning the pelican 1510's and iM2600 storm case I can assure you I felt and noticed the difference. Couldn't do it.
Back @ Talley. I feel you. I started at first wanting the best cases I could buy also. So Who is better known than Pelican? That is what I started my first 3 builds with. I think they are great and are indestructible cases. If I want to drop it 300 ft to the ground. and the mid-size Pelican case Mid size case weight in at 13 pounds with nothing in it. So I went the way of HF cases after that and found it was half the weight. I understand Pelican now makes a lightweight case now. Much lighter than the weight of the old ones. BUT with that said, I don't think you can drop them from 300 ft neither. So unless you are really going to kick it around, I just finished a build a day before with 2 birds and all goodies with harbor fright 4800 case weight in at 16.1 pounds total. Think about it this way, the Pelican weighs 13 pounds alone, And the Harbor fright 4800 cases and 2 birds weight is only 3 pounds more than the Penclian case alone! So HP cases will do for now. I only get HF cases from them when they are on sale never any other time. I just saw a mid-size yellow case on eBay for around $40.that said military standard! It had all the cutouts for the new Mavic Pro and 4 batteries cutouts and more. It looked good until you looked close. The hinges were so weak. it would break just looking at them. But you know, Someone will buy it because it's easier than having to make one! I am just saying, Just sometimes one might have to lower their standard just a bit to have a bit of function. That's what I found in my Case, No pun intended. I want the weight I carry to be what I have put into it, not the weight of the case. Personally, I wish I can find a carbon fiber case that I could mod both lightweight and strong. You should see my kid's violin case. O, only if they made one for the Mavics. I would be all over it. Hope you find what you are looking for. Let me know what you end up using?
The one below was the case I was talking about on eBay for $10 more than HF's cases. Take a close look at those hinges. You COULD be working with worst stuff than Harbor Fright's Cases.
Happy Hunting

Attachments

• 39.99.jpg
    39.99.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Reactions: bapski
I used a good deal of Plasti Dip as well. I do have one question about it though that you may be able to answer. Does it scratch the paint of the drone or equipment? It does seem a little rough. Thanks a million and great job!

The Plasti Dip covered foam padding does not scratch the drone.

My 2 pennies worth on the Harbor Freight 4800 case. It seems built pretty good and I got my Mavic 2 pro and fly more package all snugged in it with room to spare for more goodies. I do a lot of side by side riding and plan to take the new drone on a lot of my rides, the case looks like it will keep the dust and moisture out just fine and should hold up to the abuse of riding hard as long as it's strapped in. I think it's well worth the $44 I spent (it was on sale)20190323_152129.jpg

Over time you tend appreciate small compact cases. I recall when Ed Ricker (a drone video reviewer) got his Mavic Pro he boasted about one of the hard shell foam cases like these. Six months later he chucked it for the Mavic Pro Vinyl Case as it was so compact and easy to carry everything. I have a Harbor Freight Case purchased for my MZ2 while waiting for the DJI cases, they are nice, protect everything quite well. but I rarely if ever use it opting for compactness of the DJI Case to throw over my shoulder on the run. Same with my older Mavic Pro.

Over time you tend appreciate small compact cases. I recall when Ed Ricker (a drone video reviewer) got his Mavic Pro he boasted about one of the hard shell foam cases like these. Six months later he chucked it for the Mavic Pro Vinyl Case as it was so compact and easy to carry everything. I have a Harbor Freight Case purchased for my MZ2 while waiting for the DJI cases, they are nice, protect everything quite well. but I rarely if ever use it opting for compactness of the DJI Case to throw over my shoulder on the run. Same with my older Mavic Pro.

Thanks for the input, I can defiantly see your point. This case is quite large and a lot of the time I won't need everything in it, I do have the soft shoulder bag that came with the fly more package that I probably will use a lot of the time.

Where I don't use my hard shell case I did buy a Cabella Storage bag for many additional accessories for my 4 drones (Air, Pro, MZ2 & Phantom 3 Adv.) that includes all of the Chargers, Heli-pad, extra connection cords (Type C, Micro USB and Lightning), wall chargers, purchased AC Charger for 3 batteries at once, lens cleaner, manuals, extra dedicated drone only phones (3 in all), etc. The Gray Cabella Bag was on sale for $10 delivered (over the holidays).
Cabela's Catch-All Gear Bags : Cabela's

Last edited:
Still can't beat the one I bought with hard top shell and waterproof with back pack straps and a carry handle all for $32 on e-bay, reading cut firm foam, no do it yourself cutting or removing of foam.

Thought I'd bump this thread with my own contribution. Just got a Mavic Air used on Ebay. After reading thru this entire thread, I picked up an orange Apache 3800 from Horrible Fraud Tools for around $30 with a coupon. It holds my drone, controller, 2 extra batteries, tablet mount, car charger, multi-charger, and parabolic range extender (yes it works). I also have all the manuals at the bottom of the case, under the base layer of foam. As you can see, there's still plenty of room for more accessories. I probably could've went with the 2800, but the shelves were bare when I went in. This orange 3800 was literally the only 3800 in the store, I found it on an endcap display. 20200526_083055.jpg20200526_083329.jpg20200526_083319.jpg20200526_083428.jpg

Glad it works for you - they are great cases. But for me its too much bulk for a Mavic Air. The DJI Case is so very portable that its not a chore to lug it around.

This was mine, already precut foam, no cutting or removing yourself. Low cost at about $32 with soft back and hard top shell and top carry handle plus shoulder straps if you need to wear it and very light weight.INSIDE CASE.jpgCASE.jpg

Reactions: trekgod3
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123