DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hard Case for Mini 3- Personal challenge

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I've ordered a Skyreat case for my Mini 3 coming in in a few days. July 25th they say. The shape of the mini 3 is different than the Mini 2, by a lot and the size of the DJI RC is larger than the RCN1 (why do they keep doing that to me?). I like hard cases a that have some depth so I can pack them in layers and carry a lot of exta accessories. The 2800 is small enough to fit in my backpack. The bag that came with the Mini 3 FMC isn't bad but limited and offers little protection.

It's been raining the last two days and I had some miscellaneous foam laying around from products we've received this week. , so I thought I'd go get an Apache 2800 for $29 and see what I could do. I can return the case within the next month, so took up the challenge. With the DJI RC the need for the extra cables and tablet adapter limits what I need, but the one thing that can't stay on the drone...[but I have to think about that for a moment]... are the leg extensions.

So below I submit my "rough cut" version of the 2800 case fitted for the Mini 3 Pro. I still have to figure out what else I need to carry; ND filters? Wall charger and cable. I have a screen shade on order so that might change things. I still have to clean up the cuts but think I have a pretty good start. I think the shame in the RCN1 controller and especially the DJI RC controller is that they are just too tall to case them standing upright rather than laying down There is just so much wasted case real estate because the cases just aren't quite wide enough. I guess the consensus of the case mfrs is make the L & W larger and not the D deeper.

For reference Ive also included my 2800 for the Mini 2 with all the different layers and junk that I tend to haul with me. The RCN1 is just short enough that I can stash it upright if I want. But the DJI RC controller is just enough taller that I can't do it with the 2800.

Some case compananies have gotten clever and instead of providing custom cut foam they mold a piece of padding into the shape and glue it into the case. When I had my Mini case, the insert came out and could be put in a larger case (see the Mini 2's adaptation). I bought a small case for the Mini 2, but haven't used it because the interior is that molded padding rather than cut foam. So I'll see what the Skyreat case holds for me in a week or so.

1657996735098.png

apache2800_CaseHack_sm.jpg

Reactions: Torque
I’m glad that there are and will be more hard cases for folks, but in all of my drone owning…I’ve never bothered with them. I’m careful with my birds but at the end of the day the entire reason I always avoided the phantom and above lines is the fact that I despise large bags, cases, and carrying accessories just to haul the bird around. So, for me, the smaller/lighter/more compact…the better. I actually didn’t like the bag in the FMC at first but it’s kinda grown on me. I personally think the bag could be smaller to be honest, and it would still be functional and “good enough”, but above all, my biggest problem with the FMC bag is that there is no handle on it. I don’t always want to slop it over the shoulder with the strap and just hand carrying it with the shoulder strap “feels” wonky.

I’m glad that there are and will be more hard cases for folks, but in all of my drone owning…I’ve never bothered with them. I’m careful with my birds but at the end of the day the entire reason I always avoided the phantom and above lines is the fact that I despise large bags, cases, and carrying accessories just to haul the bird around. So, for me, the smaller/lighter/more compact…the better. I actually didn’t like the bag in the FMC at first but it’s kinda grown on me. I personally think the bag could be smaller to be honest, and it would still be functional and “good enough”, but above all, my biggest problem with the FMC bag is that there is no handle on it. I don’t always want to slop it over the shoulder with the strap and just hand carrying it with the shoulder strap “feels” wonky.
Only a suggestion to help. On Amazon you can buy short handles with quick clips for your bag. Might work for you.

The FMC bag does work with this drone configuration.
I like to have case options. I also frequently carry a sling bag and could fit the Mini 3 and essentials in it. But it does not offer any protection. As I did not use the accompanying pick-n-pluck foam I can use the case for other things as well when needed. I haven't fininshed configuring the foam, but at some point I will probably want to do an "undercut" for other stuff. I've got a sunshade on order hoping that it might actually work with the DJI RC. What I liked about it are the "buttons" that screw into the controller as I'm hoping that I can attach one of my lanyards to the buttons as well. It may or may not fit, even underneath. But I think I can trim down the bottom of the foam as needed to stow away stuff that would be used occassionally. I still have to accomodate a wall charger and cable. I just have to figure out which charger will work best with the charging hub. You'd think for $250 DJI would include one in their FMC+ kit. But no.

I've ordered a Skyreat case for my Mini 3 coming in in a few days. July 25th they say. The shape of the mini 3 is different than the Mini 2, by a lot and the size of the DJI RC is larger than the RCN1 (why do they keep doing that to me?). I like hard cases a that have some depth so I can pack them in layers and carry a lot of exta accessories. The 2800 is small enough to fit in my backpack. The bag that came with the Mini 3 FMC isn't bad but limited and offers little protection.

It's been raining the last two days and I had some miscellaneous foam laying around from products we've received this week. , so I thought I'd go get an Apache 2800 for $29 and see what I could do. I can return the case within the next month, so took up the challenge. With the DJI RC the need for the extra cables and tablet adapter limits what I need, but the one thing that can't stay on the drone...[but I have to think about that for a moment]... are the leg extensions.

So below I submit my "rough cut" version of the 2800 case fitted for the Mini 3 Pro. I still have to figure out what else I need to carry; ND filters? Wall charger and cable. I have a screen shade on order so that might change things. I still have to clean up the cuts but think I have a pretty good start. I think the shame in the RCN1 controller and especially the DJI RC controller is that they are just too tall to case them standing upright rather than laying down There is just so much wasted case real estate because the cases just aren't quite wide enough. I guess the consensus of the case mfrs is make the L & W larger and not the D deeper.

For reference Ive also included my 2800 for the Mini 2 with all the different layers and junk that I tend to haul with me. The RCN1 is just short enough that I can stash it upright if I want. But the DJI RC controller is just enough taller that I can't do it with the 2800.

Some case compananies have gotten clever and instead of providing custom cut foam they mold a piece of padding into the shape and glue it into the case. When I had my Mini case, the insert came out and could be put in a larger case (see the Mini 2's adaptation). I bought a small case for the Mini 2, but haven't used it because the interior is that molded padding rather than cut foam. So I'll see what the Skyreat case holds for me in a week or so.

View attachment 151887

View attachment 151888
Hi
GPC makes a nice case.

Go Professional Cases Waterproof Hard Case for DJI Mini 3 Pro Controller https://g.co/kgs/yrZu28

Attachments

• A6D0DA06-6D66-4DE2-88E3-F910BEFDEC88.jpeg
    A6D0DA06-6D66-4DE2-88E3-F910BEFDEC88.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 308FC76B-6396-410A-91CD-74C576E501EF.jpeg
    308FC76B-6396-410A-91CD-74C576E501EF.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: OldBlueHeron
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics