DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harrowing Final Flight - Mavic Totalled

Status
Not open for further replies.
apartment building rooftop where I live

Then you definitely need to search for the guy who flew his Mavic off his apartment in Hong Kong (November 2017, if I remember). Those things (apartment buildings) are filled will all sorts of things - steel, copper wiring, pipes - that play havoc with the Mavic compass and GPS. Next time it might take a right and just head out into the Sound.

Reactions: Prado man
Then you definitely need to search for the guy who flew his Mavic off his apartment in Hong Kong (November 2017, if I remember). Those things (apartment buildings) are filled will all sorts of things - steel, copper wiring, pipes - that play havoc with the Mavic compass and GPS. Next time it might take a right and just head out into the Sound.
Yeah it's not ideal because of the amount of wifi noise but after the range mod I did, i was getting all the range I could handle with stock battery

The body of the gimbal is actually cracked. Is the camera salvageable independent of the gimbal? Attached a couple closeups of it. Not looking good to me.

that needs to be completely replaced with an entire new camera and gimbal, not sure if you could even get the parts seperately

I will take it apart tomorrow and decide whether to order parts or just keep this one for parts. I guess the camera/gimbal/board/mount combo is about 250. It will need 2 new arms with motors and at least one body part. That's looking to be about a minimum of 350 just in parts. At first I was thinking it would suck to have a beat up drone after spending 400 more bucks when a new drone is only 750. I'm starting to warm to the idea though cause I will be less concerned about beating it up some more than when it's new, and gain what I think will probably become necessary experience in repairing these things :p They are such a blast to fly but if you are over paranoid about something happening, it takes some of the fun out of it.

I sell every replacement part for the Mavic including all the little parts on the gimbal.

As some point from a damage point of view wouldn't you suggest a totally new camera and gimbal unit or would you still try and replace a number of the parts, would the added labour cost make it more expensive than getting a new unit ?

As thunderdrones said he stocks all the parts, 2 cables and 3 covers will probably be a quarter of the price of a replacement

And flying direct over public roads......
Sorry but all were BIG BIG mistakes.....
Yeah, I'm wondering where all of the scolding is coming from. I took a risk and paid. No biggie. But as far as rules and regs, I am not aware of any other than registering with the FAA and not flying near airports. If you are talking about generally accepted best practices, that's one thing. But I fly pretty much everywhere. I fly feet over moving trains trains, over ships, over freeways, in close proximity to high rise buildings and apartment buildings. Are you to have me believe that all of the drone pilots on here are flying in the woods or open fields only?

Like I said, I find it pretty hard to resist the rush of risky activity. Lifelong sport bike rider, vert skater.. etc. That said, I'm afraid if I give in to the temptation to go grab another drone, it won't be my last replacement. Is this the start of an expensive addiction? If so, maybe I should throw in the towel and let my goggles, controller, and extra batteries collect dust.

I like to help when I can. Send me your money for a new one, I will take good care of it for you and you can visit, anytime:D.

Yeah, I'm wondering where all of the scolding is coming from. I took a risk and paid. No biggie. But as far as rules and regs, I am not aware of any other than registering with the FAA and not flying near airports. If you are talking about generally accepted best practices, that's one thing. But I fly pretty much everywhere. I fly feet over moving trains trains, over ships, over freeways, in close proximity to high rise buildings and apartment buildings. Are you to have me believe that all of the drone pilots on here are flying in the woods or open fields only?
I'm not sure it could be called irresponsible, probably a few names you have used on yourself. However, if you want to do things like: skydive without lessons or experience, or make dynamite in your kitchen, now that's irresponsible.
But, hey, flying your Mavic over the ocean with no planning or forethought is at best, not financially prudent. The term reckless might be used when endangering others. You got the money, get two more Mavics.
...Then do your wallet a favor, read the rules, study the experience of others, practice in a safe area until you are good at flying, use you head (not for wearing any goggles, yet) for the safety of us all.
Above all enjoy life and fly your drone. RESPONSIBLY.

Responsible is NOT :

" I fly feet over moving trains trains, over ships, over freeways, in close proximity to high rise buildings and apartment buildings. Are you to have me believe that all of the drone pilots on here are flying in the woods or open fields only?"

With that attitude, and being foolish enough to tell the world, online, about it. You need to find something else to do as a hobby. Maybe making dynamite in your kitchen...

and being foolish enough to tell the world, online, about it.
Are you suggesting this is illegal? Can you point me to where I can inform myself about this? Did you see the other video posted in this thread? Ever go on youtube?

I have an idea for you.
Don't let all us ( MOD REMOVED )that respect the safety of others,who read and understand the responsible thing to do, practice responsible flying of drones so that we can keep our right to fly them, oh hell no.
Call the FAA give them your name and address, be very specific and tell them " I fly feet over moving trains trains, over ships, over freeways, in close proximity to high rise buildings and apartment building" and there ain't **** you can do about it.

I am amused by your arrogance. The FAA, however, will not be.

Please report back your how your arrogance set them straight...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BD0G
I watched a news story about some guys who robbed a bank, killed three people doing it...Maybe you ought to call the police and tell them other people do it and you do **** you see others do.

I just asked if it was illegal bro. No need to get bent. I see videos of people flying like this, many of them posted on this forum, all the time. I'm trying to understand where you are coming from.

"I didn't know it was against the law"...don't depend on that defense, BRO.

If you have to asked crap like is it illegal, clearly you don't understand or don't have any common sense.
I started out defending your right to be ignorant (not a derogatory term, but perfectly descriptive) (it means you did not know any better as in YOU HAVE NOT EDUCATED YOURSELF)
I just thought you were brave.

I'm really trying, here.

GO EDUCATE YOURSELF AND DROP the "I can do whatever the **** I want to attitude in MY favorite hobby. Don't **** it up for us, who act responsibly.

Here's a hint: If you have to have the last word, here, arguing with some sound advice, IT'S YOUR ATTITUDE that's the problem. Go ahead tell me that reading, understanding the rules, using common sense is not meant for you and I am just stick in the mud.

faa.gov is a GREAT place to start.
The Rules You Need to Know to Fly Recreational Drones - AirMap
knowbeforeyoufly.org/
www.businessinsider.com/drones-law-faa-regulations-2017-7

Oh yea. Have a nice day...I'm done.

...all will be awaiting your last word, we expect it.

Reactions: Hounder55
I'm generally pretty conservative with my money. This was the first frivolous purchase I have made in years. That's why I'm questioning the path I'm on. It's addicting as I am sure other forum members can attest.
I watched a news story about some guys who robbed a bank, killed three people doing it...Maybe you ought to call the police and tell them other people do it and you do **** you see others do.

Look dude, give the guy a break - what makes you so high & mighty?

He's owned up to mistakes and payed the price, yet you wanna rant like you're his mum?

Reactions: Lest 37
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000