DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harrowing Final Flight - Mavic Totalled

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with flights like this ( very poorly planned ) you are doing a distance flight in the wrong place really ( and yes I know you should keep vlos and not fly at night ) go risk the mavic falling out of the sky somewhere it won't potentially fall and hit someone or damage something .......

If you going to be irresponsible at least do it in open ground.

I am in now supporting this activity just saying there are better ways of doing this.

Yeah. The problem is that I work during the day and hate flying anywhere at night from anywhere other than the apartment building rooftop where I live. I have flown from in my car (parked) before but generally it seems hard to find a good spot where nobody can creep up on you while you have goggles on your head and a drone flying miles away.

I found an ideal spot last weekend but it's about half a mile away and the park is closed at night.

I had just modded my setup for distance and was overeager to insure it was working as expected with the firmware version I was running. There was a break in the rain, and I knew it was bit windy. I have flown 4 miles before and made it back with 30-40% battery. I neglected to consider the extra battery drain from sport mode, and had no idea that the headwind would drain the battery as hard as it did. I turned around with 71% battery!

More money than sense it seems...

Credit card debt is what this is. Statistics show that the US population uses credit cards to rack up incredible debt.

"Approximately 62% of Americans have less than $1,000 in their savings accounts and 21% don't even have a savings account, according to a new survey of more than 5,000 adults conducted this month by Google Consumer Survey for personal finance website GOBankingRates.com"

Thats every 6 people you pass out of 10 have less than $1000.00 in thier savings accounts.

2 of those people dont even have a savings account of any kind.

That statistic is about the same as the percentage (60 ) of people in the world that do not have flush toilets or proper sanitation. Thats a mind blower!

Last edited:
I dont see how you got so much range In the city like that. I am lucky to get a mile with all the city interference.
Look in the mods section of the forum. My only issue is that I am very close to sea level and everything around me is high up. You need to maintain line of sight to the drone (or yourself via the drone. It's a little taxing to keep track of where you are relative to the environment so that you do not loose line of sight and drop connection. If it gets laggy, just slam the controller up and you'll be fine generally because you will clear whatever was between yourself and the drone.

More money than sense it seems...
I'm generally pretty conservative with my money. This was the first frivolous purchase I have made in years. That's why I'm questioning the path I'm on. It's addicting as I am sure other forum members can attest.

Credit card debt is what this is. Statistics show that the US population uses credit cards to rack up incredible debt.

"Approximately 62% of Americans have less than $1,000 in their savings accounts and 21% don't even have a savings account, according to a new survey of more than 5,000 adults conducted this month by Google Consumer Survey for personal finance website GOBankingRates.com"

Thats every 6 people you pass out of 10 have less than $1000.00 in thier savings accounts.

2 of those people dont even have a savings account of any kind.

That statistic is about the same as the percentage (60 5) of people in the world that do not have flush toilets or proper sanitation. Thats a mind blower!
Yeah, but I'm not that guy

Reactions: Bazzam and HWCM
Call that totaled?
Looks like £100 worth of damage on a £1000 drone
The right rear arm is busted. Also, when you push up on it, it flexes up some because there is some damage in the area where it's mounted to the body. I'm afraid if I replace the arm, it will have too much give in it and cause stability issues. The gimbal is totaled as well as the mount. The rear body is cracked and I haven't taken it off to see if anything inside is damaged. I gimbal, mount, and rear right arm are going to be about 450$ or so maybe? And that's just to see if anything else is damaged. Not sure I should bother with the repair route.

I'd definitely repair the first and do extra mods on it for testing purposes.

I know how it feels to want to push the limits on these things. Lost mine because of this.

Bought the second one before the insurance pay out was in my account.

To me it looks like

Top frame £7
Middle frame £7
Rear arm £25
Gimbal plate £6
Gimbal flat cable £15
Camera cable £30

Total £90

But that's going from 1 picture
still maybe worth sending it to @Thunderdrones
That sounds encouraging. I'll have a closer look at the gimbal and camera. I turned it on and got no video, gimbal motor overload error, and esc motor error. I'm thinking the whole gimbal and camera are wrecked and that at least one of the motors is damaged although I haven't looked closely. The motor wires are slightly exposed and the gimble wire is the only thing holding it on.

I'd definitely repair the first and do extra mods on it for testing purposes.

I know how it feels to want to push the limits on these things. Lost mine because of this.

Bought the second one before the insurance pay out was in my account.
Where is the best place to buy parts?

Like this pilot

That was pretty sweet. I wonder how big his scrap/parts pile is. You've definitely got me thinking about whether a consumer drone is right for me. I do like to hover, observe, take video, and have relaxing exploratory flights as well. But it's the rush of risk that is addicting and exhilarating. The one thing about non gps drones I don't like is that they don't really hover. You can't set the controller down for a second really. The mavic isn't really suitable for too much risky flying because of how fragile and expensive it is.

That sounds encouraging. I'll have a closer look at the gimbal and camera. I turned it on and got no video, gimbal motor overload error, and esc motor error. I'm thinking the whole gimbal and camera are wrecked and that at least one of the motors is damaged although I haven't looked closely. The motor wires are slightly exposed and the gimble wire is the only thing holding it on.
The camera wouldn't of worked as the fine silver wires are damaged and the gimbal had motor overload due to the ribbon cable broken

The gimbal and camera are quite robust, they are normally fine, its the 2 cables and the mounting plate that get broken

This is insane FPV! Unbelievable actually.

When I saw that video a few months ago I watched a lot of his others and he's amazing. There's one where he flies under a moving Jeep from back to front and another where he goes under a rolling semi like he did with the train. In a more recent video he was vlogging about entering the train video in a competition and he said he didn't really like that video, that he didn't think it was any good.

Randy

The camera wouldn't of worked as the fine silver wires are damaged and the gimbal had motor overload due to the ribbon cable broken

The gimbal and camera are quite robust, they are normally fine, its the 2 cables and the mounting plate that get broken
The body of the gimbal is actually cracked. Is the camera salvageable independent of the gimbal? Attached a couple closeups of it. Not looking good to me.

Attachments

• 20180106_170434[1].jpg
    20180106_170434[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
  • 20180106_170455[1].jpg
    20180106_170455[1].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
  • 20180106_170530[1].jpg
    20180106_170530[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
Status
Not open for further replies.