DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone been authorized to have an operation within 5 miles from a class D airport?

Rgv_Mavic44

Reactions
If so, how strict was the FAA on operation parameters such as max flight altitude or duration.

Ya. I've done it a few times.
I told them the radial and distance from the center of the airport, what time I'd start, and that I wouldn't be over 200'. They had no problem, just wanted me to call when I finished, which I did.
I also added that I was a career airline pilot and quite familiar with their traffic patterns on a VFR day.

while I have not had to yet as not been asked, I have offered my students access to me flying drone for media studies and photography for projects, well offered the teachers the option.
as the school is within a controlled airspace for a small airport I spoke with them and as long as I inform them far enough ahead of time and maintain 200ft flight ceiling won't be a issue, not that I expect to fly at anything that high anyway

I can't imagine big problem for non uk, just be sensible, if small airport easier then a big one, ask to talk to operations or whoever appropriate.
it may not hurt just to pop over to the airport if wanting to do it regularly, put a face to your name, chummy, all that.

I'm guessing you are asking about flights made under part 107? If so, you may want to mention this.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James