DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone bought a double battery Mavic 3 Mod?

While this is interesting, it really isn't relevant to a double battery Mavic 3 mod, which is the thread topic,

Has anyone bought a double battery Mavic 3 Mod?​

My question in Post #18 above was directed to @solidhouse regarding the Mavic 3 double battery which he has been testing, which is an entirely different product, and Litchi limitations are of course not relevant for the Mavic 3 with no SDK available. The Mavic 3 double battery is also clearly wired in parallel and should accurately be reporting true combined flight time and battery percentage.

So, @solidhouse what say you to my questions in Post#18?
Apologies for my responding to the wrong topic. I should have scrolled up the page before commenting. These modular batteries are available for the Mavic 1 Pro and Mavic 2 Pro, and I wrongly presumed your question was about the Mavic 1 Pro.

Apologies for my responding to the wrong topic. I should have scrolled up the page before commenting. These modular batteries are available for the Mavic 1 Pro and Mavic 2 Pro, and I wrongly presumed your question was about the Mavic 1 Pro.
No problem. Best to reply to a specific post to avoid confusion, especially when two people hit send close in time to each other, separating the post you intended to reply to immediately before your post, which then gets replaced by another post that is unrelated to your lone reply. It's happened to me, too!

What can you now tell us about the design of the double battery setup, after all of our speculation above? Is the internal battery a modified OEM DJI battery? What is the included external battery weight and amperage, and brand name? How are the two batteries connected? Is it hardwired, or is it modular in any way, that would make it possible to swap the existing external battery for another, perhaps one with more amperage, or less weight, with a higher mAH/g ratio? Does the mounted external battery block the GPS signals in any way, or interfere with any of the OA cameras? Do you still use this double battery setup for regular use, or are there issues with it that have caused you limit your usage of it? Would you recommend this setup? Eager to hear all your feedback!
The setup is an original DJI battery modified with wires running internally through the end. The attached battery pack appears to be a generic of some sort. I haven’t done a tear down so I’m not sure the details of how it is wired and do not know specifics / brand name / capacity. It does not seem to interfere with either OA or GPS signal. While I haven’t had any issues with this battery, I do not use it on a regular basis. I’m simply not comfortable with all of the extra weight. It seems like the rear motors have to work extra hard when this battery is installed. While the extra flight time is great, I don’t want to risk a crash or otherwise damaging my Mavic 3.

I am hoping that DJI will eventually release a drone that will give users a true 45-50 minutes of flight time.

The setup is an original DJI battery modified with wires running internally through the end. The attached battery pack appears to be a generic of some sort. I haven’t done a tear down so I’m not sure the details of how it is wired and do not know specifics / brand name / capacity. It does not seem to interfere with either OA or GPS signal. While I haven’t had any issues with this battery, I do not use it on a regular basis. I’m simply not comfortable with all of the extra weight. It seems like the rear motors have to work extra hard when this battery is installed. While the extra flight time is great, I don’t want to risk a crash or otherwise damaging my Mavic 3.

I am hoping that DJI will eventually release a drone that will give users a true 45-50 minutes of flight time.
My bad for not realizing in the original description that it is 10,000 mAh which is exactly twice the stock internal 5,000 mAh of the stock Mavic 3 battery.

By comparison, what hover flight time you getting from your original Mavic 3 batteries? I average about 30 minutes realistically to 10% remaining, so getting 45 minutes in a hover is roughly the same 50% increase in flight time from a doubling of the mAh of other drone external battery setups I have had in the past.

Can you weigh the combined battery so we can see how efficient it is relative to mAh/g compared to the stock internal battery alone? Lastly, other than the motors working harder, how does it handle in flight? Does it struggle with maneuverability?

Stock battery weighs 335.5 grams for 5000 mAh for comparison.
The maximum payload of a dropper sold for the Mavic 3 is 500g and it weighs 85g, so less than 600g for an external battery should be fine, and 51 Drones has shown the Mavic 3 can actually lift up to 907g, or slightly more than its own weight!

So I am eager to find out what the total weight of the double battery is so we can subtract 335.5g and find out the additional weight of that second battery, and from that, how inefficient it is, relative to the internal 5000 mAh of the stock battery at 335.5g.

I'll bet that all the external components weigh much more than 400g, and that a more efficient and more expensive external battery could be used, weighing a lot less, reducing the struggling of the motors, and lengthening the flight time even more. The hard part was soldering the connecting cable to the internal stock battery. Too bad they don't sell it with XT60 connectors so you could choose any external battery you wanted.

Now also only $318.

One final clarification. Does the Fly app accurately represent the correct combined flight time and diminish the remaining percentage battery properly?

Last edited:
My bad for not realizing in the original description that it is 10,000 mAh which is exactly twice the stock internal 5,000 mAh of the stock Mavic 3 battery.

By comparison, what hover flight time you getting from your original Mavic 3 batteries? I average about 30 minutes realistically to 10% remaining, so getting 45 minutes in a hover is roughly the same 50% increase in flight time from a doubling of the mAh of other drone external battery setups I have had in the past.

Can you weigh the combined battery so we can see how efficient it is relative to mAh/g compared to the stock internal battery alone? Lastly, other than the motors working harder, how does it handle in flight? Does it struggle with maneuverability?

Stock battery weighs 335.5 grams for 5000 mAh for comparison.
The maximum payload of a dropper sold for the Mavic 3 is 500g and it weighs 85g, so less than 600g for an external battery should be fine, and 51 Drones has shown the Mavic 3 can actually lift up to 907g, or slightly more than its own weight!

So I am eager to find out what the total weight of the double battery is so we can subtract 335.5g and find out the additional weight of that second battery, and from that, how inefficient it is, relative to the internal 5000 mAh of the stock battery at 335.5g.

I'll bet that all the external components weigh much more than 400g, and that a more efficient and more expensive external battery could be used, weighing a lot less, reducing the struggling of the motors, and lengthening the flight time even more. The hard part was soldering the connecting cable to the internal stock battery. Too bad they don't sell it with XT60 connectors so you could choose any external battery you wanted.

Now also only $318.

One final clarification. Does the Fly app accurately represent the correct combined flight time and diminish the remaining percentage battery properly?
I’ve posted the weight of the combined battery in the Mavic 3 double battery review:

I tested the modified battery against the standard battery and posted the hover time on the above link.

The DJI fly app does actually correctly list the time remaining and the % of battery left. I was a little surprised by this.

The drone seems a bit more sluggish with the modded battery on it. What I mean by that is that I could tell the Mavic 3 was weighed down. It just had that “feel” to it.

I wish that someone would release a much higher quality aftermarket battery which weighs the same, but has more mAh. I bought a battery from AliExpress for my Mini 3 Pro which claimed to have increased mAh. However, all of the flight / hover times turned out to be exactly the same as the DJI stock battery.

Hi, Are people using these double battery mods for extended flight time or for precautions against battery failure?
thanks
Andrew

Hi, Are people using these double battery mods for extended flight time or for precautions against battery failure?
thanks
Andrew
This lengthy thread and discussion should answer your question.
Hint: It's extended flight time!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147