DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Review of Mavic 3 double battery

No need to worry about the aluminum Motors , there designed to Negotiate Extreme levels of Heat
It is certainly not the aluminum part of the motors to worry about, but the magnets glued inside these motors which, beyond a certain temperature, begin to lose part of their magnetic properties, their strength, and the allowed temperature is not high.

Neodymium magnets just above 80°C already can begin to lose some of their magnetic force!
Is not as you wrote... 😏 "there designed to Negotiate Extreme levels of Heat".

Reactions: Slawaw
The reasons for wanting to increase the operational flight time as much as possible go beyond the obviousness you wrote (...30 minutes of flight time you will be amazed how long that is).

There are situations in which it is more important to have the possibility of keeping the weighted drone in flight for few more minutes, accepting some risks that this necessarily entails.
From simple photographic shots in situations in which it is necessary to take advantage of sudden situations of good variable light (between and above the mountains, very high up and far away - as it is for me) not to be missed with more frequent forced returns of drone to home to replace the battery, to situations in which the possible loss of such an inexpensive drone is an absolutely insignificant detail, compared to a specific mission, as it can be in a war conflict.

And this is happening now, far away from you and from me, maybe also from everyone reading this chat.
You can guess where.
I’m less than an hour and a half flight from there.🫢
Understand that 2 batteries does not double your flight time due to the added weight and the engines working harder. We see about a 25 to 30 % increase , less as it got colder.
And over there they have the latest equipment M3 , 3E and 3 Ts these are the baby drones but have great flight time.

Understand that 2 batteries does not double your flight time due to the added weight
Ok, thanks, nothing of new, this is obvious and well know, I hope.
I have wrote: There are situations in which it is more important to have the possibility of keeping the weighted drone in flight for few more minutes.
A few more minutes is not the double of the flight time, that noone can expect to have.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I’m less than an hour and a half flight from there.🫢
Understand that 2 batteries does not double your flight time due to the added weight and the engines working harder. We see about a 25 to 30 % increase , less as it got colder.
And over there they have the latest equipment M3 , 3E and 3 Ts these are the baby drones but have great flight time.
A doubling of the stock mAh on DJI drones typically results in a 50% increase in flight time over the single stock battery alone. Temperature shouldn’t change the ratio of the improvement, but obviously affects both flight times.

Do you have more information on this Mavic 3’s modification?
I'm sure the Ukrainian soldier who is using the mod wants to keep it from being stolen by the Russians! However, it is pretty obvious what was done. Just add a second battery connector in parallel with the internal one, and attach another stock battery externally to the new external battery connector with a heavy rubber band/strap. Power up the drone with the internal battery first. Then connect the second external battery and secure it in place with the heavy rubber band/strap. Reverse the process after landing, assuming the drone and both batteries survived the mission!

Thank you for the response. I'm having issues with the positive battery terminal. Unlike the negative terminal, it cannot be soldered or welded to.

Ok, thanks, nothing of new, this is obvious and well know, I hope.
I have wrote: There are situations in which it is more important to have the possibility of keeping the weighted drone in flight for few more minutes.
A few more minutes is not the double of the flight time, that noone can expect to have.
Indeed! Most do not understand that if it takes 15 minutes to reach the reconnaissance target, and another 15 minutes to return, leaving say 2 minutes at the destination for reconnaissance, that even a two minute gain in flight time doubles the information gathering time at the destination! Every additional minute is precious!

Hence, the clever battery mod in Post #20 now being used in Ukraine with Mavic 3 aircraft!

Negative terminal busbar with copper plating. It can be soldered or welded to. However, the positive terminal busbar is made of some metal that is difficult to solder or weld to. The busbars are not soldered to the contact pads on the circuit board either. This became an unexpected problem for me. Between my current engagements in the war, I will try to find time to explore a mechanical method of attaching to the positive busbar. The challenge is that there is very little space available for this.

Negative terminal busbar with copper plating. It can be soldered or welded to. However, the positive terminal busbar is made of some metal that is difficult to solder or weld to. The busbars are not soldered to the contact pads on the circuit board either. This became an unexpected problem for me. Between my current engagements in the war, I will try to find time to explore a mechanical method of attaching to the positive busbar. The challenge is that there is very little space available for this.
Sir the bolded sentence in the above quote reveals you to be a seasoned master of the calm understatement. One man's terrifying calamity is a cooler-headed man's pesky inconvenience. Glory to the heroes.

Thanks for clarifying. If it is any consolation, the soldier depicted in Post #20 apparently managed to overcome this limitation. Is there no underground forum where fellow Ukranians are sharing such information with each other? Maybe ask a Ukranian soldier drone pilot, unless you already are one? With the 10,000 lost Mavic 3's being replaced every month, there must be an underground railroad of useful mods to new aircraft replacements!

Thanks for clarifying. If it is any consolation, the soldier depicted in Post #20 apparently managed to overcome this limitation. Is there no underground forum where fellow Ukranians are sharing such information with each other? Maybe ask a Ukranian soldier drone pilot, unless you already are one? With the 10,000 lost Mavic 3's being replaced every month, there must be an underground railroad of useful mods to new aircraft replacements!
Wow ten thousand AWOL Mavic 3's a month is a staggering statistic to contemplate. The Ruskies must be deploying far more powerful countermeasures than DJI's Aeroscope to inflict that scale of drone downings.

Wow ten thousand AWOL Mavic 3's a month is a staggering statistic to contemplate. The Ruskies must be deploying far more powerful countermeasures than DJI's Aeroscope to inflict that scale of drone downings.

That includes the Mavic 3 suicide drones, too! Oftentimes, the reconnaissance received before the drones are destroyed is worth the expected loss. They certainly don't want the drone to be tracked back to the drone pilot! Simple jammers are all the Russians need to limit the drone range to under 500m. Mavic 3’s with 40 minute one way flight times are certainly cheaper and more effective than any of the larger military drones costing millions each!

That includes the Mavic 3 suicide drones, too! Oftentimes, the reconnaissance received before the drones are destroyed is worth the expected loss. They certainly don't want the drone to be tracked back to the drone pilot! Simple jammers are all the Russians need to limit the drone range to under 500m. Mavic 3’s with 40 minute one way flight times are certainly cheaper and more effective than any of the larger military drones costing millions each!
I clean forgot about the Mavic 3's pressed into service as kamikaze drones flying one-way missions. The history of warfare is being rewritten with this conflict thanks to these ubiquitous and compact eyes in the sky.

I clean forgot about the Mavic 3's pressed into service as kamikaze drones flying one-way missions. The history of warfare is being rewritten with this conflict thanks to these ubiquitous and compact eyes in the sky.
Indeed. DJI is making bank, while officially expressing outrage that their peaceful camera drones are so useful in war! The Mavic 3's 7x telephoto camera and 40+ minute flight time make it the perfect throwaway drone for badly needed close range reconnaissance. DJI may have officially discontinued the Mavic 3 for sales to the public, but the demand of 10,000 a month is hard to ignore. Draw your own conclusions about whether DJI is still making them!

The Mavic 3 was also the last DJI drone of this capability manufactured without RID broadcasting FW, so that makes it even more valuable!

Last edited:
We are more interested in the mod in Post #20! :cool:
We are more interested in the mod in Post #20! :cool:
The solution is undoubtedly good. However, it requires a complete disassembly of the drone. You can't imagine the conditions I'm in right now, I might consider disassembling the battery, but disassembling the entire drone in such circumstances is not an option.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60