DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone else left their controller(non smart) out in the rain? Lol

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
So, was flying in the backyard with my air2s this morning landed drone turned off the controller and left it face up on my firepitt. Got distracted took drone inside but left the controller outside for 3 hours. I think we got a short light shower (big rain happens in a few hours). Anyways. I wiped it off and shook water out where I could then turned it upside down inside on a paper towel and thats where it sits. I did press once the power button and all green lights lit up for full battery which it had. May just skip flying 24 hours make sure it is dry. I don't feel like trying to take it apart. It only rained lightly for a few mins. Pic below controller is out of view behind the column below. And the rain was 20 mins before that watching on the nest...

Just curious if anyone else has had this happen to the basic controller (not an smart one with screen)?

Screenshot_20221114-111528_Nest.jpg

No... Because when I'm done flying everything goes back into the bag with the drone.

I would have let it dry out for a while before pressing any buttons to turn it on. (but probably would have been all the same since you can't just pull the battery from the rc-n1).

No... Because when I'm done flying everything goes back into the bag with the drone.

I would have let it dry out for a while before pressing any buttons to turn it on. (but probably would have been all the same since you can't just pull the battery from the rc-n1).
If I'm offsite sure I got distracted this morning in backyard so that's on me, and yes same thought the battery can't come out or would of pulled it. I didn't power the device on with a single push. And agree give it until tomorrow and evaluate.

If I'm offsite sure I got distracted this morning in backyard so that's on me, and yes same thought the battery can't come out or would of pulled it. I didn't power the device on with a single push. And agree give it until tomorrow and evaluate.
For moisture removal, I do the same thing as what I do for my fountain pens when I'm getting them ready for long term storage. I have a clear snap pencil box, and it's filled with those pouches of silica dessicant (or those $10 tins you can bake in the oven to recharge their effectiness.). I dry the component best I can and then leave in that box for 24 or more hours. If you're in a low humidity region you might not even need to do that.

Reactions: VenomXts
I have had a controller get wet in a rain shower and have dabbed the controller dry with tissue then sucked the joystick pivot points and switch openings using either my mouth or the flexible pipe from a running vacuum cleaner.

I have had a controller get wet in a rain shower and have dabbed the controller dry with tissue then sucked the joystick pivot points and switch openings using either my mouth or the flexible pipe from a running vacuum cleaner.
I actually had a full room desiccant bucket I never used still sealed.. I just stuck the controller on top of it lol

We shall see.

Reactions: karlblessing
Water can be a killer. Timing is everything. Get it dry as soon as possible is the key.

Water can be a problem but as said above, try to fully dry it out before turning it on. I had a phantom (1) blown of a jetty into a lake. I took it appart as much as possible, left a hair dryer blowing on it for a few hours, then left it open for a few days. Screwed it together again and it flew perfectly, no problem. Water is no problem when it evaporated:))

They are pretty tight controllers in tolerances, so might not take in much water. I’d recommend not turning on until stashed in a bag of rice, sealed, for 2 days or bag with silica desiccant if you have them (I save them when they come in any packaging in a ziplock bag). Run a fan on it for 12 hours after. If you have a dehumidifier, that will blow more dry, warm air - just set on top for a day.

Lots of experience with daughters testing liquid tolerances of the iPhones over the years - never ‘on purpose’ but always close after new model launches - rice worked 95% of the time!

Glad to hear its working. +1
In the future, definitely don't attempt to turn it on until after a day or two. Water and electricity don't mix well. You dodged a bullet. Thank goodness.

Glad to hear its working. +1
In the future, definitely don't attempt to turn it on until after a day or two. Water and electricity don't mix well. You dodged a bullet. Thank goodness.
yah its been in the desiccant bag for about 36 hours so i did wait.. lol Good thing was it was just rain water and not salt water. :)

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
So, was flying in the backyard with my air2s this morning landed drone turned off the controller and left it face up on my firepitt. Got distracted took drone inside but left the controller outside for 3 hours. I think we got a short light shower (big rain happens in a few hours). Anyways. I wiped it off and shook water out where I could then turned it upside down inside on a paper towel and thats where it sits. I did press once the power button and all green lights lit up for full battery which it had. May just skip flying 24 hours make sure it is dry. I don't feel like trying to take it apart. It only rained lightly for a few mins. Pic below controller is out of view behind the column below. And the rain was 20 mins before that watching on the nest...

Just curious if anyone else has had this happen to the basic controller (not an smart one with screen)?

View attachment 157100
I've done that about three times so far. And yes the remote got rained on. I also left the drone outside too. One time I left the drone and remote outside overnight. It drizzled rain a bit that night.

Anyway, maybe I was just lucky, but the remote and drone suffered no side effects. I too waited about 24 hours before flying. I had no issues. It would have probably been safer to wait a good 48 hours, but for some reason, I wasn't worried. Fresh water isn't nearly as serious of a problem as salt water. There is no coming back from saltwater intrusion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580