DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone mounted a strobe to the bottom of your MA2?

not being a wiseguy, but on a sunny day in an open field, how much more will a strobe flash increase your vlos?

I'm not a distance flyer and keep it in VLOS most times.

I use the strobes during the day so that I can easily acquire the aircraft when flying along the river or lake when it's only twenty feet above the surface and it blends in with the background of trees, rocks, etc.

It's much easier to look for a flash of light instead of a gray plastic drone against the background.

Reactions: maggior
not being a wiseguy, but on a sunny day in an open field, how much more will a strobe flash increase your vlos? One option maybe to invest in a good pair of polarized sunglasses, and possibly adhering some reflective decal / vinyl to the arm sides and bottom. but maybe Im wrong and the strobes do help significantly during the day. right now what is your approx max distance / height that you still have vlos in a really open area on a sunny day? On an overcast cloudy day yes i can see the strobes helping, but to what effect, in distance? how much further are you trying to go? In NJ I find I can lose vlos very fast under 200-250 altitude due to objects, buildings, or simple fact that NJ is not a flat state, Atlantic Highlands NJ is one of the highest points on the eastern seaboard, while just miles south of there towns are at or just a few feet above sea level. Thats the hit we took with super storm sandy.

You definitely get more distance, but the biggest thing is that it makes it much easier to find if you look down at the controls or something. I've watched my bird go out, looked down to change camera settings, and then spend what feels like an eternity trying to find it again. The lights make it much easier.

There's a handful of videos out there. In this one, they guy did a daylight flight which start about 5 minutes in, with some of the strobes. It's a little cloudy, but he has a visual on the strobe at 1500 feet. He doesn't pick them up at 2000, but the camera clearly does.

Reactions: GrafXXX
ok that makes sense, still another option is adding some reflective decals stripes, they are made in many colors, and the reflection off the water with cause the decal to light up, Thats also in addition to the strobes

ok that makes sense, still another option is adding some reflective decals stripes, they are made in many colors, and the reflection off the water with cause the decal to light up, Thats also in addition to the strobes

I have my Spark covered with reflective dots but haven't applied them to the MA2 yet.

I put them on as an aid for a recovery mission if I lost it in the brush.

A Spark pilot lost his and found it when the sunlight glistened off of the four brass contacts of the battery when it was stuck in a bush.

Well I AM looking to mount a strobe or two But I also put a BFO skin on that helped a LOT with seeing my drone.

IMG_4585.JPG

Reactions: GrafXXX
I have placed a light on the bottom. It(firehouse tech arc v) can be placed on the bottom using 3m tape right over the word Mavic. It does not block the VPS sensors and also provides lighting that is visible for more than 3 statue miles.

I have placed a light on the bottom. It(firehouse tech arc v) can be placed on the bottom using 3m tape right over the word Mavic. It does not block the VPS sensors and also provides lighting that is visible for more than 3 statue miles.
That’s exactly where I was thinking, pics?

Were not a huge fan of the light show as it just gets to much attention so we tone it down with just a single lume cube.

I made this video which was at night and a lot darker than it shows on camera.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

That’s exactly where I was thinking, pics?
Here you go. If you’ve blocked the sensor at all you will get a message from the app. Just move it ever so slightly until the message disappears.

Attachments

• A5529F8D-145F-40F9-B330-F15627E299BC.jpeg
    A5529F8D-145F-40F9-B330-F15627E299BC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I didn't think that the 3m tape would stick to the heatsync fins. Will have to try that.
It’s not on the fins. It is attached to the only flat smooth surface available on the bottom, albeit a very small piece of real estate.

Last edited:
MA2-Arc2.MP.jpg

I do the same thing with the Arc V (or Arc 2 in this photo) using velcro to fasten. You will want to hand launch/land or install leg extensions as the Arc V needs more ground clearance. I also have another top mounted strobe on the battery, just behind the power button. This greatly increases VLOS range during the day.

Last edited:
For VLOS assistance I use a firehouse arc XL white on front and red on the rear. I use aerial pixel arm mounts. As the XL has a wide viewing/projecting angle there are few blind spots with this setup. Including being below the craft.

note this is just my setup for helping me keep an eye on drone. I predominantly fly by VLOS and I lose it all the time without help of the strobes. Old man eyes.

if you are asking to assist with VLOS I can recommend this setup.

we have laws that prevent us flying at night.

Reactions: A.O.
I downloaded the FAA official release of the new regulations and read through the strobe section. They do not specify a color,they state that they believe that white is the most visible. They require that the light must be visible from 3 nm, be placed on the top of the drone and must be a strobe not a constant on light. There are no restrictions on how many more you have but you must have at least one.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I downloaded the FAA official release of the new regulations and read through the strobe section. They do not specify a color,they state that they believe that white is the most visible. They require that the light must be visible from 3 nm, be placed on the top of the drone and must be a strobe not a constant on light. There are no restrictions on how many more you have but you must have at least one.
So now you HAVE to have a strobe? ALL drones, for commercial and recreational?

Firehouse are pricey to ship to Canada so I got a red and white of these and mounted them on the sides just in front of the access doors for MicroSD and USB port. Velcro them on before flights in which I wish to use them, and leave them off for folding up or flights I deem them not necessary.
Red on Left and White on right. It can def. be sin during the day and of course at night. As well, I can determine orientation based on what strobe I'm seeing.
Funten Drone Strobe (red)

I didn't think that the 3m tape would stick to the heatsync fins. Will have to try that.
Try the softer foam style tape with the strong adhesion, you can work the foam tape into more indents / crevices. Crazy thought, may work better in the spring, but putting the easy remove 3m command strip tape all around mt drone and see how many bugs I catch, lol actually may try it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure