DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone mounted a strobe to the bottom of your MA2?

WizardEyes

Reactions
If so, what strobe and how exactly did you mount it? I'm hoping I can fit one just behind the camera and in front of the sensor. Bonus points for pics! :)

If so, what strobe and how exactly did you mount it? I'm hoping I can fit one just behind the camera and in front of the sensor. Bonus points for pics! :)

I mounted them on the bottom of my Spark next to the VPS camera and it didn't work for me.

The intense flashing of the strobe affected the VPS that resulted the Spark bouncing up and down in the air as I tried to land the aircraft right after launch.

It was the scariest 30 second flight I ever had. I have since moved them to the sides with no problems.

I have them mounted on the sides of the MA2 as well, but will be upgrading to ARC V's and 3-D mounts for the arms soon.

IMG_20201101_133124287_HDR.jpg

Anything Firehouse Technology is the way to go. Most are mounted with double sided Velcro for easy removal. Check out the ARC (600 lumens) and the ARC V (1000 lumens).

Anything Firehouse Technology is the way to go. Most are mounted with double sided Velcro for easy removal. Check out the ARC (600 lumens) and the ARC V (1000 lumens).
I agree, the FT lights are light, rechargeable, very bright and come in many options. I mount them with velcro, usually on the back, or front top, facing forward. I try not to interfere with any sensors.

Put it on top. The whole point of it is so other aircraft can see it. having it on the bottom may be good for you to see it, but defeats the point of having it. If you need to see the drone, put lights on the arms. Green on starbord, and red on port. (right, left as drone is facing away from you). THis is the univeral setup for aircraft. Why two colors in that config? Well, in the air, if your green light is facing another planes green light, you are safe (ditto for red). If different colors are facing each other..well...better change course...:)

1609426424526.png

Put it on top. The whole point of it is so other aircraft can see it. having it on the bottom may be good for you to see it, but defeats the point of having it. If you need to see the drone, put lights on the arms. Green on starbord, and red on port. (right, left as drone is facing away from you). THis is the univeral setup for aircraft. Why two colors in that config? Well, in the air, if your green light is facing another planes green light, you are safe (ditto for red). If different colors are facing each other..well...better change course...:)

View attachment 120492
This is the same with ships also

View attachment 120492
Well MY whole point of it is for me to see so the bottom mount would be better! TYVM

Well MY whole point of it is for me to see so the bottom mount would be better! TYVM

That's why I mounted mine on the sides.

They can be seen from above and below.

If you use two strobes of different colors, you can tell the orientation of the aircraft easily.

Got a picture?? and maybe I need to get another strobe so I could do this.

Reactions: A.O.
The MA2 bottom stock led should be bright enough for you to see at night to fulfill your needs of you seeing it’s location, it’s bright. The only thing is when you make a hard turn or quick ascend / descend the light may momentarily not be visible due to the angle the bottom is facing during these maneuvers, all you need to do is let off the sticks for a second to get it into a flat hover position and you will see it again. I actually find that stock led at night actually gives me a further visual line of sight vs the aircraft during the day. ITS BRIGHT. Now for the others that you add on so other aircraft can see you the “ FAA 3 mile advertised approved lights” I would think that they are intended to be placed on top center or as mentioned if colored red /green only they should also be placed on top on the appropriate sides based on the color ( I think, as I’m not 107 licensed yet, but reading above it is very similar to the boating rules which I am licensed ) and each color does represent a particular side, but don’t quote me on 107 license and rules ( hopefully yet). I have a light that is attached to the top and I use the 3m dual lock Velcro ( That was included) to attach the the light in the early evenings and take off during daytime flights. That 3m dual lock is so strong I ended up spending some $ to get a roll to keep at home and my business.
Yes I was in a tree vs MA2 battle back in July at only a 28 foot hover off to the side of me about 5 feet with atleast 15 feet from the tree videoing some small ground fireworks and didn’t realize my thumb was ever so slightly touching the right stick causing the MA2 to hover left in the slowest possible speed that it could move until I heard the tree leaf trimming sound of death and created my own light show with all the lights on while engaged, sending massive LED DISTRESS ( or what I thought at that moment) was victory signals in this plastic vs natural 100 year old wooded object BATTLE
WELL needless to say I had to use a refresh pre-pay replacement option to avoid the technicians laughing as they would have wrote not a warranty issue drone destroyed DUE TO PILOT ERROR. WHEN THEY EVENTUALLY OPENED THE BOX IM SURE THE PCS JUST FELL OUT ALL OVER THE PLACE

SO YES GET THE REFRESH ( that’s For another post) but I mention this accurate story because out of everything destroyed, the only thing still attached and in perfect condition was my top light mounted with the 3m dual lock Velcro

so I’m not sponsored or a pro flyer but I recommend attaching the light to the top in this way, funny how I don’t have many pics of my MA2, only pics taken by it. But I found these to show the light both mounted on top and removed, and again don’t have many pics just the masks ones I could find with the light attached. Sorry for poor grammar

Attachments

• 4D0843E8-391E-462C-874A-21F2C6695588.jpeg
    4D0843E8-391E-462C-874A-21F2C6695588.jpeg
    475.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 861FC819-0E0E-4A92-955A-95E9545D9CC9.jpeg
    861FC819-0E0E-4A92-955A-95E9545D9CC9.jpeg
    606 KB · Views: 71
  • B979A24C-5A61-4027-8DCC-BEF90033B07B.jpeg
    B979A24C-5A61-4027-8DCC-BEF90033B07B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 72
  • 4C5F65EA-7C81-4FE4-A53C-22CC22E814E1.jpeg
    4C5F65EA-7C81-4FE4-A53C-22CC22E814E1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 76
  • FCDD1A7F-7885-4417-A576-50751AAAAE22.jpeg
    FCDD1A7F-7885-4417-A576-50751AAAAE22.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
The MA2 bottom stock led should be bright enough for you to see at night to fulfill your needs of you seeing it’s location, it’s bright. The only thing is when you make a hard turn or quick ascend / descend the light may momentarily not be visible due to the angle the bottom is facing during these maneuvers, all you need to do is let off the sticks for a second to get it into a flat hover position and you will see it again. I actually find that stock led at night actually gives me a further visual line of sight vs the aircraft during the day. ITS BRIGHT. Now for the others that you add on so other aircraft can see you the “ FAA 3 mile advertised approved lights” I would think that they are intended to be placed on top center or as mentioned if colored red /green only they should also be placed on top on the appropriate sides based on the color ( I think, as I’m not 107 licensed yet, but reading above it is very similar to the boating rules which I am licensed ) and each color does represent a particular side, but don’t quote me on 107 license and rules ( hopefully yet). I have a light that is attached to the top and I use the 3m dual lock Velcro ( That was included) to attach the the light in the early evenings and take off during daytime flights. That 3m dual lock is so strong I ended up spending some $ to get a roll to keep at home and my business.
Yes I was in a tree vs MA2 battle back in July at only a 28 foot hover off to the side of me about 5 feet with atleast 15 feet from the tree videoing some small ground fireworks and didn’t realize my thumb was ever so slightly touching the right stick causing the MA2 to hover left in the slowest possible speed that it could move until I heard the tree leaf trimming sound of death and created my own light show with all the lights on while engaged, sending massive LED DISTRESS ( or what I thought at that moment) was victory signals in this plastic vs natural 100 year old wooded object BATTLE
WELL needless to say I had to use a refresh pre-pay replacement option to avoid the technicians laughing as they would have wrote not a warranty issue drone destroyed DUE TO PILOT ERROR. WHEN THEY EVENTUALLY OPENED THE BOX IM SURE THE PCS JUST FELL OUT ALL OVER THE PLACE

SO YES GET THE REFRESH ( that’s For another post) but I mention this accurate story because out of everything destroyed, the only thing still attached and in perfect condition was my top light mounted with the 3m dual lock Velcro

so I’m not sponsored or a pro flyer but I recommend attaching the light to the top in this way, funny how I don’t have many pics of my MA2, only pics taken by it. But I found these to show the light both mounted on top and removed, and again don’t have many pics just the masks ones I could find with the light attached. Sorry for poor grammar
I don't really fly at night, tried it once but I'm out in the middle of nowhere so the only thing on the screen is blackness so whats the point. The bottom led does not do much during the day unless it is right above me so that's a no go. I'm not worried about warning attack planes from above so that leaves my with having a better VLOS from the ground, so a strobe on the bottom would be my first choice. Need to see if anyone makes a mount for the arms where the strobe would be pointing down instead of forward so I could see it from any direction.

Yes I have the Refresh..

I have a piece of Velcro on the top of each battery for all my drones. It allows me to mount/remove the strobes as needed without interfering with avoidance sensors.

Reactions: MA2 317
I don't really fly at night, tried it once but I'm out in the middle of nowhere so the only thing on the screen is blackness so whats the point. The bottom led does not do much during the day unless it is right above me so that's a no go. I'm not worried about warning attack planes from above so that leaves my with having a better VLOS from the ground, so a strobe on the bottom would be my first choice. Need to see if anyone makes a mount for the arms where the strobe would be pointing down instead of forward so I could see it from any direction.

Yes I have the Refresh..

Unless you fly with it right above you, I'm still not sure facing down will give you the best visibility. Put one on a front leg facing front, one on a rear leg facing rear, and you'll be good to go.

Like many, I've got 2 on the front (red/green) and one on the rear, so orientation is easy to see.

Unless you fly with it right above you, I'm still not sure facing down will give you the best visibility. Put one on a front leg facing front, one on a rear leg facing rear, and you'll be good to go.

Like many, I've got 2 on the front (red/green) and one on the rear, so orientation is easy to see.
So one on the front one on the rear what if the birds facing sideways then I still can’t see it

So one on the front one on the rear what if the birds facing sideways then I still can’t see it
Never had that problem. Due to the arm angle they don't point straight ahead/back, so one on Front Right and Back Left (or other way around). And even if they did, the odds that your drone is exactly perpendicular to you for any length of time is slim.

I'm telling you from experience what worked better for me. I found the front and back better than the bottom for my usage and recommended such. Perhaps your usage will be different than mine. Just remember, when flying, the aircraft will nose down, up to 35 degrees in Sports Mode or into a wind, so your bottom sensor is actually angled that much away from you. Mike from Phantom Help used to make arm mounts that pointed down for some of the Mavic's. I don't think he sold many, and not sure if he still makes them, but you can check.

not being a wiseguy, but on a sunny day in an open field, how much more will a strobe flash increase your vlos? One option maybe to invest in a good pair of polarized sunglasses, and possibly adhering some reflective decal / vinyl to the arm sides and bottom. but maybe Im wrong and the strobes do help significantly during the day. right now what is your approx max distance / height that you still have vlos in a really open area on a sunny day? On an overcast cloudy day yes i can see the strobes helping, but to what effect, in distance? how much further are you trying to go? In NJ I find I can lose vlos very fast under 200-250 altitude due to objects, buildings, or simple fact that NJ is not a flat state, Atlantic Highlands NJ is one of the highest points on the eastern seaboard, while just miles south of there towns are at or just a few feet above sea level. Thats the hit we took with super storm sandy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2