DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone really put the Mavic Air 2 through some serious wind conditions? Because I just did..

svenmarbles

Reactions
It’s unreal. Believe me, my UAV Forecast indicates a solid no-go. Sustained 30mph winds, gusts to 45. The thing wasn’t going anywhere.. I was up over 200 feet and was flying upwind in sport at 25mph. There was never a point where I felt like I didn’t have complete command of the drone. This drone is STRONG.

As long as the wind speed is at or less than the copter’s maximum horizontal speed, the copter will hold its own or even be able to make some headway.

Flying in these conditions can certainly be fun, and I do it all the time, but you have to be on your game and very aware of what you are doing. It’s like walking right along the edge of a sharp and very steep cliff. By the time you realize something is wrong, it’s too late...

Last edited:
Love to see the logs too as a gust of 45mph wind would no doubt move the drone.

As long as the wind speed is at or less than the copter’s maximum horizontal max speed, the copter will hold its own or even be able to make some headway.

My experiments with modified Mavic Mini frame seem to point towards an artificial 29 mph ground speed cap imposed by software (currently I am about 90% sure of that). If this is correct, then the drone's ability to fight wind might be actually better than its maximal speed would suggest, and I bet it would be a similar case with MA2.

Personally, I've flown MA2 in very high winds ( it is unusual not to have high winds here in Long Island) and never had any issues.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me where I can upload a flight log to have it be readable? I use airdata but I’m not paying for the extra part that will display in-flight wind speeds.

Can someone tell me where I can upload a flight log to have it be readable? I use airdata but I’m not paying for the extra part that will display in-flight wind speeds.
If you upload it here, someone kind enough with the paid Airdata can import and read it again with wind speed.

I saw the test in a video review where a guy blasted it with his leaf blower. His anemometer showed 52mph at the blower's nozzle. From about 2 feet away the MA2 was all over the place, but was not blown away. I suspect the video footage from it would make you seasick! He repeated it on a Mini and it blew it away down the garden.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones