DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone taken advantage of no rangers in national parks?

If there is no one to enforce a regulation, does it exist?

As much as I hate the NPS ban and believe it needs to be overturned with sensible rules, it currently has the force of law. Breaking drone flight restrictions makes all drone operators look bad.

Well, this is getting pretty typical; some guy posts something that may or may not be serious, and before it's over, we have the self-appointed drone police ranting and calling names. Can't we just respect the guy? We know the laws are ridiculous and over-reactive. We know that no harm will result from what the guy suggested, and I don't really think that a 1.5 lb drone is going to start a forest fire unless you soak it in gasoline and throw it into the woods, followed by a match. Probably not a good idea, but the suggestion hardly rises to the level of criticism that I just read.

Well, this is getting pretty typical; some guy posts something that may or may not be serious, and before it's over, we have the self-appointed drone police ranting and calling names. Can't we just respect the guy? We know the laws are ridiculous and over-reactive. We know that no harm will result from what the guy suggested, and I don't really think that a 1.5 lb drone is going to start a forest fire unless you soak it in gasoline and throw it into the woods, followed by a match. Probably not a good idea, but the suggestion hardly rises to the level of criticism that I just read.

When drone pilots intentionally break the law or rules their act(s) can make drone flying more difficult for ALL drone pilots. Each drone pilot that is caught flying illegally is one more reason for the government to implement even more laws & rules. We've ALREADY seen the effects and how it is impacting the hobby and it only took a few out of thousands upon thousands of pilots.

These miscreants are like the idiots that illegally tint the front windows of their car. Other drivers can't see them to make eye contact (which is sometimes necessary at 4-ways stops and other situations) so the illegal tinters are basically saying ( Mod Removed) to every other driver.

All these people think about is themselves. ( Mod Removed )
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Flying over open wilderness is the equivalent to flying OVER an airport, drunk driving or beating your wife?

Sounds right

Technically yes,

We have certain responsibilities as adults to comply with the law of the land without having to rely on others to check and police your behaviour.

In Australia, a breach of any criminal legislation is the same in the eyes of the law, it just carries different penalties. So yes, drink drive, assault your wife etc all have the same burden of criminal proof.

I can only assume that a breach of CASA regs (federal regulator) would also be considered as criminal rather than civil law.

Thankfully we haven’t gone the way of the US restrictions, but that will all change if people ignore the rules

Being as I'm a drone pilot, hugely interested and vested in protecting my hobby from negative press and negative opinions from the actions of idiots, I will document and report drone violations if I see them in the parks I visit. I consider it looking out for my own best interests concerning this hobby. I encourage others to do the same for our own protection. Document it with as much relavent information as possible and report it. Please. We're losing ground every day and I'm tired of it.

The core issue at the heart of the US National Park drone ban is that it was put in place 5 years ago BEFORE anyone was “bothered”, any wildlife was “disturbed”, anything was damaged etc by ignorant unaccountable bureaucrats who didn’t know the difference between a toy drone and a bad muffler, and still don’t. It’s a bad rule and we are allowed to speak out against it and work for its repeal. If someone wants to protest by pushing the boundaries and forcing the issue then I will consider it civil disobedience and more power to them.

Reactions: badaxed
I've marched in protests with the crowd numbering in the thousands. I've sat and blocked intersections in clear acts of civil disobedience.

But if I did those exact same things all by myself the only message it would communicate is that I'm a nut or troublemaker. The CROWD is key. All at once, all in the same place.

20 people illegally flying their drones in different National Parks scattered across the country isn't a message, it's a demonstration of selfishness. The ONLY reason they would be doing it is for their own personal gain. They'd come across as rogues, not as demonstrators.

You organize a CROWD of hundreds or thousands of drone pilots meeting at the same park at the same time, THEN you have civil disobedience that could possibly sway legislator's minds. Other than that, it's just a few people doing their me, myself and I thing.

Mark

Thank you, DroningOn. I agree completely. And frankly, although I've tried to keep the level of my discourse on the high side, I am frankly getting sick and tired of a person posting what I consider to be a simple question and then being absolutely castigated for three days because he/she doesn't share the absolute, unbending love and affection for every detail of every rule relating to drone use. I'm sure some of these guys will never post again after being ripped, called "idiot" and "moron" nonstop.

I'm sorry, but I'm fed up! Drone police officers, please, PLEASE, give it a break. I actually obey the rules as much as is reasonable, but things like flying over a deserted NP or other area where no possible harm can result is not capitol offense. Comparing that in any way to violence against women is beyond reason, as is drunk driving.

I fly according to common sense, and as it happens, most of the rules are based on the same common sense. Under 400 feet is fine, although it would be ridiculous to worry about it in the Nevada desert close to Ely. Line of sight is something I would do anyway. I have flown at night a couple times under 150 feet in a quiet area, very limited flight distance, and VLOS all the way. Common sense.

I have heard the sermon about "the government will be FORCED to make new rules... etc.". They are not forced to do anything. They make them because that's what governments do. That's what they will continue to do, regardless of whether someone elects to fly a drone in a remote national park or not. If someone elects to do something that is actually dangerous, like hover over an airport runway, he violates laws that are already in place. More laws won't change that, and no new ones need to be enacted. Again, common sense. The police will take care of the situation, assuming that they are smarter than the ones at Gatwick, and can actually find the guy. :)

DroningOn makes very good points. I drive the speed limit on interstate highways, normally 70 mph in Arkansas. If they took it back to 55 mph, I would not. As a friend of mine once said, Americans will not obey a law that's stupid. He's absolutely correct. I'm asking that we be a little respectful of different opinions, and for Pete's sake, stop the name-calling.

OK guys have cleaned this thread up and you need to settle down .
carry on but do be civil .

OK guys have cleaned this thread up and you need to settle down .
carry on but do be civil .
I would like to publicly request what your reason was for why you removed my post please? It was an on point and CIVIL response to photo booth’s explaination of what a legitimate protest is. I’m seriously trying to understand what is acceptable discourse on this site. The code of conduct obviously doesn’t cover everything.

I would like to publicly request what your reason was for why you removed my post please? It was an on point and CIVIL response to photo booth’s explaination of what a legitimate protest is. I’m seriously trying to understand what is acceptable discourse on this site. The code of conduct obviously doesn’t cover everything.
OK and will answer you with a guideline .
9. Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned.

Reactions: moonlitnite
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy