DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Has anyone tried to make these manually? (Sphere Earth Shots)

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I really just want this still and higher than 1080p when I take it from the asteroid shots.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220219-182843-01.jpeg
    VideoCapture_20220219-182843-01.jpeg
    722.5 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Cvmeron
The only thing you can do is take it off the sim instead of from the phone then use one of many apps that do that. Sim should have the 4k version instead of what gets downloaded to your phone.

The only thing you can do is take it off the sim instead of from the phone then use one of many apps that do that. Sim should have the 4k version instead of what gets downloaded to your phone.
in reading, i just think it takes 1080 p but i could be wrong.

If you let the DJI app stitch the sphere, then it's low res. The raw high res files are on the sim unstitched. The catch is they are hard to stitch because they are missing the top part of the sky that the drone cant take a pic of. The DJI app adds a fake sky blurred into the 360 if you look closely. I tried doing it manually and it's a real pain in the butt. Took 5 different 3D stitching apps to find one that kind of worked correctly. It can be done but almost not worth it. And you still have to add in a sky. DJI even has an old stand alone app on there site if you want to try it. Check their download page.

Reactions: VenomXts
I really just want this still and higher than 1080p when I take it from the asteroid shots.
You can shoot the panorama manually or with the automated feature.
Then it's a simple matter to stitch them with a good stitching program, using a small planet projection.

To can take manually, make sure u set exposure etc to manual (to be safe, make sure u have 50% overlap) then PT GUI will quickly stitch it in any perspective u like. You may have to pop it into Photoshop after it’s stitched to touch up the sky. (select the gap & use auto fill)

PT GUI is kind of expensive though. $175? I tried a very old version of it, kind of hard to use. So many settings.

PT GUI is kind of expensive though. $175? I tried a very old version of it, kind of hard to use. So many settings.
I'm sure glad to see that everyone else is wrestling with the problem and it is not only my stupidity. As far as I can tell, PT Gui is really the only one that can do the thing. You can upload the randomized 26 RAW images into its program and it will sort everything out. It is a tough learning curve for me and the cost is considerable. I've tried for hours to do it manually with Lightroom and/or Photoshop. I've tried to sort them out by doing 3-5 images at a time, then stitching the next few images. It is a real pain and I have failed so far. It takes hours.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: kjonyou
I'm sure glad to see that everyone else is wrestling with the problem and it is not only my stupidity. As far as I can tell, PT Gui is really the only one that can do the thing. You can upload the randomized 26 RAW images into its program and it will sort everything out. It is a tough learning curve for me and the cost is considerable. I've tried for hours to do it manually with Lightroom and/or Photoshop. I've tried to sort them out by doing 3-5 images at a time, then stitching the next few images. It is a real pain and I have failed so far. It takes hours.

Dale
Miami
It is pretty expensive, alternative means don't look like a option either. I would like to know more about it before i even consider it, I want a single simple shot that DJI produces just higher res.

BTW dale, I poked around your photos.... this is such amazing shot.. like mind blowing... Bhutan November 2008 - DaleDavisPhotography

Please tell me it was 5x better in person :)

It seems to me there is some confusion here. VenomXts asked about the picture at the end of an "asteroid" shot (movie) and the responders are all talking about a panorama (probably a 360 d x 180 d spherical). If you truly just want the shot at the end of the asteroid shot, then record the shot in higher resolution. If not possible, then you can blow up the shot in a photography app. Beware, that does not truly increase the resolution of the image, it just estimates pixels from their neighbors.

Reactions: basyok
It is pretty expensive, alternative means don't look like a option either. I would like to know more about it before i even consider it, I want a single simple shot that DJI produces just higher res.

BTW dale, I poked around your photos.... this is such amazing shot.. like mind blowing... Bhutan November 2008 - DaleDavisPhotography

Please tell me it was 5x better in person :)
Hi VenomXts
The Bhutan trip was amazing. We went with Zegrahm Expeditions, a top notch company. Bhutan is a very mountainous place. Every site requires hours and hours of driving around mountain curves, to to the top of the pass, then hours and hours driving in circles back down. The people here are friendly, and love to pose for pictures. Tiger's Nest is a Buddhist monastery. It was a two hour climb and my wife and I made it all the way to the monastery.The construction on the face of a mountain ledge was unbelievable. The trail was steep and rigorous. But it was all worth it to get this picture. Yes, being there was 5 times better seeing it in person!

Zegrahm Expeditions: Adventure Travel, Trips, & Group Tours
https://www.zegrahm.com

I'm glad you agree with me about the 360 photos. Don't know if I really want to spend $175 for this program. The images are certainly amazing, but the gimmicky-ness can wear off if I send too many of these to friends. I think I would be happy with my plain old manual 3 or 4 shot images with 30% overlap and processed so easily in Photoshop.

Thanks so much for checking out my photo web site. Lot's to see there.

Dale
Miami

APG Kolor Autopano Giga is the only desktop app I have found that can automatically stitch 360 spherical without pinching the bottom where so many of them give you that pinched cat butt nadir. You still have to add the sky in Photoshop but it does everything else in one click, And it works with raw DNG files. So much easier than PTGui. After it's stitched, I just extend the canvas size up and fill in the sky making sure to create an equirectangular photo, AKA 2 to 1 in size.

DJI has a small stand alone app that does an OK job, even fills in the sky but stitching is not that great, only works with jpegs, and it's been discontuined 5 years ago but you can still download from their site.
DJI Media Maker - Download Center - DJI

This is a good tutorial workflow if you really want slightly higher res 360 from the sim.

APG Kolor Autopano Giga is the only desktop app I have found that can automatically stitch 360 spherical without pinching the bottom where so many of them give you that pinched cat butt nadir. You still have to add the sky in Photoshop but it does everything else in one click, And it works with raw DNG files. So much easier than PTGui. After it's stitched, I just extend the canvas size up and fill in the sky making sure to create an equirectangular photo, AKA 2 to 1 in size.

DJI has a small stand alone app that does an OK job, even fills in the sky but stitching is not that great, only works with jpegs, and it's been discontuined 5 years ago but you can still download from their site.
DJI Media Maker - Download Center - DJI

This is a good tutorial workflow if you really want slightly higher res 360 from the sim.
B and H link says this product is no longer availableScreen Shot 2022-02-21 at 1.42.58 PM.png

It seems to me there is some confusion here. VenomXts asked about the picture at the end of an "asteroid" shot (movie) and the responders are all talking about a panorama (probably a 360 d x 180 d spherical). If you truly just want the shot at the end of the asteroid shot, then record the shot in higher resolution. If not possible, then you can blow up the shot in a photography app. Beware, that does not truly increase the resolution of the image, it just estimates pixels from their neighbors.
If you look straight down and zoom back out of a 360 pano you get the small word image VenomXts is looking for.

DJI_0248_2022-02-21_19.18.50.jpg

I haven't done the mathematics but a full pano from 4K images is an enormous file size. To stich it together also requires a huge amount of processing power.
In my opinion the result is not much better that stitching the jpg files.

Attachments

• DJI_0248_2022-02-21_19.15.10.jpg
    DJI_0248_2022-02-21_19.15.10.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 9
It doesn't shoot 4k. 1080p only for asteroid and several other shots alot. So "blowing the image up" in Photoshop let's say, won't work. It will be too pixelated unless you intend on viewing only on a small screen such as a phone?

It doesn't shoot 4k. 1080p only for asteroid and several other shots alot. So "blowing the image up" in Photoshop let's say, won't work. It will be too pixelated unless you intend on viewing only on a small screen such as a phone?
The internally created Asteroid shot is fixed at 1080p.
That is why everyone is suggesting taking a 360 pano instead using 4k images.

Not sure if this video is relevant, but I remember learning how to do the "Tiny Planets" on the Spark years ago thanks to BingErr tutorial on Microsoft ICE (Image Composite Editor).

Here's his channel on YouTube.

It really makes the sphere photo POP. :)

Used ICE and the 25 4K spherical pano files.
1645479826722.png

Stitched the photos. Used the stereographic projection in ICE and made a best guess to the centre alignment point.
Cropped down roughly to a square and exported the image as a jpg file.
The image is 30mb so too big to post.
1645480327737.png

Here is the whole as a snip.
1645480436688.png

Zoomed in detail at 72dpi
1645481107925.png
Zoomed in some more.
1645480878604.png
and
1645480551363.png1645481172380.png

Reduced image 1/4 of the width for you to navigate
Reduced_Spherical_PANO0001_stitch.jpg
I just wanted to add that all the software (Microsoft Image Composite Editor) to create this 13000 x 13000 30mb tiny world file FREE. You just need 25/26 360 pano files.

Last edited:
MA2 317
That is very relevant, Thanks!
and as stated in the video, a full 360 degree panorama carried out manually is a lengthy tedious task.
The full 360 degree pano is needed to create the tiny world projection.
If you follow the guide in the video and see how long and how much processing is required. it just illustrates how quick and powerful the drone is to create the 1080p asteroid on the fly.

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak