DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone tried to use the mavic enterprise thermal imaging with DJI Goggles. I'm looking for a solution for search and rescue.

Jay Fulcher

Reactions
Has anyone tried to use the mavic enterprise thermal imaging with DJI Goggles. I'm looking for a solution for search and rescue. I want to know if the thermal imaging will show through the goggles.

See my posts of ground testing with the thermal camera - still too nasty to fly Weather is supposed to be good tomorrow for the first time since I got the M2ED. Have successfully paired the RE Goggles with the M2ED; from what I can tell right now, the combination of the M2ED with RE Googles is a game-changer for SR operations.

I'll report back after flight tests.

I haven't used the googles yet with the M2ED in flight. When I did the thermal testing yesterday, the high winds had me nervous. I kept getting high wind warnings in the Pilot app and I needed eyes-on the drone the whole time for safety. I'll let you know how the goggles are with the thermal camera when I get an opportunity to test it in flight.

I'm not interested in flying the M2ED with the googles for SAR. My intent is to use a 3rd-party observer on them while I fly the drone and manipulate the thermal camera.

Last edited:
You will be very disappointed in the FLIR on the Mavic for search and rescue - you will need to be less than 100 feet from your target to find anything. The resolution on this camera is very low (as far as FLIR cameras go). At best you can use the Mavic FLIR setup for close roof inspection (bad solar panels, insulation deficiencies etc) and the like.

I was very excited when this came out... until I saw the spec's and then CONFIRMED at the CES show with the FLIR and DJI Rep's that the sensor used on the Mavic FLIR is the same as on the FLIR Duo. (160x120).

Basically, you will completely lose an image the size of a huma at about 100 feet with this resolution - Before you spend your money on this rig thinking you can do search and rescue (which is why I was going to use the FLIR Duo on my old Phantom) please watch the following review!

FLIR Duo - FULL REVIEW

Reactions: Former Member
you will completely lose an image the size of a huma at about 100 feet with this resolution

I have no idea why you are so anti-M2ED. Do you have one? Do you have first hand experience (not with something somewhat similar but with an actual M2ED)? I do have one and I can successfully find my grand-kids from 150AGL with them under a fairly dense tree canopy. True, not the greatest, but it works. For folks without a lot of money it is a solution.

I tested mine up to 175ft up and you can clearly make me out walking through my backyard. Even spotted the neighbors speaking with the FedEx driver. You can definitely tell there's something moving it the video.

I have no idea why you are so anti-M2ED. Do you have one? Do you have first hand experience (not with something somewhat similar but with an actual M2ED)? I do have one and I can successfully find my grand-kids from 150AGL with them under a fairly dense tree canopy. True, not the greatest, but it works. For folks without a lot of money it is a solution.

Firstly, I'm not anti M2ED, I just want people to know they are NOT going to see what they see on TV during "cops" or other shows of that nature. If they doubled (prefer triple) the sensor size I would have one immediately. When you can use these in actual SAR situations successfully I will be impressed. Do I have first hand use of the M2ED, no, but the FLIR Duo has the same sensor and same lens (Confimed by DJI and FLIR at the 2019 CES show) I'm extremely dubious, especially after seeing reviews people have posted. Please post video if you have it indicating the distance from target - maybe that will give a better idea of how these will actually work in a SAR scenerio. HERE is MY review of the FLIR Duo on a phantom (SAME sensor and lens). Skip to 8:45 in the video and you tell me what you see.

I think that's the key there. Is the cost to function ratio acceptable?
So far so good. I haven't used it in an actual SAR, and hope to never have to, however in a number of practice situations, it looks promising.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS