DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone used an accessory mount for an action or 360° camera on the Mavic 3

f13dfx

Reactions
Hello All! Wanted to know if anyone has tried using a GoPro accessory mount (pic attached) to attach an action or 360° camera. I plan on doing a 3D video shoot using the GoPro Hero 3+ Dual 3D System which weighs in at 210.5 grams. The payload weight shouldn’t be a problem, but I’m wondering if there is any interference with the Mavic 3’s GPS. I’ll be trying this setup regardless but just wanted to hear from anyone that’s actually flown their Mavic 3 with an external camera mounted.

Thanks in advance to those who reply!

Attachments

• 1FA223DF-BD53-4D65-9D24-9E871A90B94D.jpeg
    1FA223DF-BD53-4D65-9D24-9E871A90B94D.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 5
  • C4F6D971-1ABC-455F-A0A8-53CA35818704.jpeg
    C4F6D971-1ABC-455F-A0A8-53CA35818704.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
A concern I would have is what that weight will do to the center of gravity and stability. The top mount will raise the height of the center of gravity; I think that would impact on stability control. Think of aircraft changing attitude in response to wind shifts. I think a bottom mount would be less of an issue as it would lower the center of gravity. How it impacts on aircraft balance, in my opinion, would be a serious concern.

Good point! Would this be a better alternative. Am I able to turn OFF the bottom sensors or do I even need to do that?

Attachments

• E3464BDD-742A-4F35-A8D5-E038714C1CE2.jpeg
    E3464BDD-742A-4F35-A8D5-E038714C1CE2.jpeg
    405.9 KB · Views: 9
Good point! Would this be a better alternative. Am I able to turn OFF the bottom sensors or do I even need to do that?
I don't have a M3, but this might be helpful.

On the Air 2S there's a sweet spot between the bottom sensors where the camera bracket can be placed without interfering. If it's too far forward or aft it can cause the drone to think it's near the ground a refuse to descend, even if it's far above the ground. I had to hold the left stick back to put the drone to descend and then interrupt the landing to resume the flight.

I've tried the Insta360 One X2 camera a few times with both the top mount and bottom mount (built into the same bracket) and found no significant issues with stability, but I was flying very conservatively. Battery life was substantially reduced, by 40% or more.

A warning. You'll have to hand catch with a bottom-mount camera. Be aware that the arm the camera mounts on can move relative to the drone. If you catch it too far down, the drone could tip forward or backward and the props could nip your are. After an initial interesting landing, I learned to grasp the arm at the very upper end so that my thumb and forefinger stabilized the drone.

I don't have a M3, but this might be helpful.

On the Air 2S there's a sweet spot between the bottom sensors where the camera bracket can be placed without interfering. If it's too far forward or aft it can cause the drone to think it's near the ground a refuse to descend, even if it's far above the ground. I had to hold the left stick back to put the drone to descend and then interrupt the landing to resume the flight.

I've tried the Insta360 One X2 camera a few times with both the top mount and bottom mount (built into the same bracket) and found no significant issues with stability, but I was flying very conservatively. Battery life was substantially reduced, by 40% or more.

A warning. You'll have to hand catch with a bottom-mount camera. Be aware that the arm the camera mounts on can move relative to the drone. If you catch it too far down, the drone could tip forward or backward and the props could nip your are. After an initial interesting landing, I learned to grasp the arm at the very upper end so that my thumb and forefinger stabilized the drone.
Did your bottom mount have a swivel to keep the camera level with the horizon & how was the vibration?

Did your bottom mount have a swivel to keep the camera level with the horizon & how was the vibration?
Yes, but it moves in only one axis, fore and aft. I finally concluded that it was best to snug it down rather than let it pivot. Otherwise, a more aggressive stop would cause the camera to swing excessively and show up in the video.

The mount includes some silicone isolation bushings to help damp vibrations. In general, vibration hasn't been too noticeable in the video, but there has been some odd blurring at times. I'm still tinkering with it and have been distracted with other things lately.

If you haven't already bought a camera, you might want to check out the InstaOne built for the Air 2S. I'm guessing that a similar model for the Mavic 3 might not be too far behind. That bolt-on configuration just looks more sensible and less Rube Goldberg-ish.

I use this on my mavic series . Normally I mount lighting below and camera above however, I have arranged in different configurations. I use tha Action 2 , GoPro MAXX 360 and the Insta360 G2. As has been noted you need to be careful with CG. I fly with 500g maximum payload.

DJI Mavic 2 Triple Mount for-GoPro-Sequoia-FLIR-Lighting-Action 2 NEW VERSION

I have a version for the Action 2 that lowers the CG by .7 however, only listed in my Parrot Anafi ad. CG is important that is why I use a triple mount two lights below camera above.
1654955709773.png

These are on my ebay site.

Last edited:
Insta360 Sphere for the Mavic Air 2 and Air 2S is specifically designed for this purpose!

I use the GoPro Fusion 360 and MAX 360 On top and below on one side with a light to counterbalance it. I keep weght belopw 600g

1655042547156.png

I've mounted my Insta 360 one X2 on top and from below my Air 2s . I cant say the results are worth the risk however I had no gps reception issues unlike using the insta 360 sphere which resulted in both loss of both it and my drone

I have not designed a triple mount for the Mavic 3 yet. The one shown in the photo is for the M2 and Orginal Mavic. I have used the Gopro Max Insta 360 Go g2 , Insta360 x2 and lately the DJI Action 2. They all work without any real problems. The main issue is weight. If my camera is underneath I mount on one of the wing mounts an counter balance with light on opposite side. I keep total added payload under 400g for best performance. I have flown with 600g however, not the best choice. The Mavic series do not handle additional weight like a Inspire or M series.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22