DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

has anyones mav survived water damage???

Survival from a fresh water dip is around 50/50. If the battery didnt get wet, maybe a little bit better.

Survival from a fresh water total immersion is around 25%.
That's a lot better than I expected. So there's some kind of conformal coat on the boards? I've resuscitated a few laptops from spills, but the fully submerged in the hot tub incident.....

Reactions: Former Member
ok scary incedent today, totally my fault no app or settings simply me,,,, i .....my fault no one elses just wondering if any ones mav has survived water before, and how long before i try a battery in her to see if she comes to llife
My Mavic Pro went for a swim in the Dora Canal in Florida.
It still lives. Battery did not.
I dried it in rice for a week. Then took it all apart and clean all the connections and coated everything with Corosion-X
Took a ton of pics plan to write about the details or put it to video when I can make the time.

Mike

Didn't this start out as a discussion on water and survival? How did it degrees into height restrictions when it should be about depth restrictions :)
unfortuntly the water issue was due in part to my modifications and of course my lack of experience, i understand the concern with height restrictions though. thanx all for the comments and great survival storeies, i feel a lot better and my bird flies on

Yes it knows both altitudes. Open your GO 4 app without being connected to the AC. Bottom right corner select "Me" where all your flights are stored. Check the "Top Altitude" Mine says 7,825ft. My house is at 7,400ft' ish so you do the math. These new drones are smarter than you think.

Yes it knows both altitudes. Open your GO 4 app without being connected to the AC. Bottom right corner select "Me" where all your flights are stored. Check the "Top Altitude" Mine says 7,825ft. My house is at 7,400ft' ish so you do the math. These new drones are smarter than you think.
thank u for confirming that, i was pretty sure it knows both, i was told both are embedded in photos but we prob only see one, pretty sure i see the other as my altitude shown in my photos was correct after i subtracted my home town, if it only knew above take off then u were about 7500ft to high haha

Just a little information ... The Mavic does not know how high it is above sea level, nor does it know how high it is above the ground level (once outside the limits of the downward sensors, approx 40'). It only has a reference to its take off point.

During take off, the Mavic records the barometric pressure and sets that as zero height. It then adjusts the height display on the RC as it flies based on the change of barometric pressure from that zero point. If you fly over ground that is either higher or lower from the take off point, the Mavic has no way of knowing this.

After running a mavic into the top of some 80 foot tall trees, I decided to figure out a way not to do this again. When your flight path takes you over variable height terrain, you should fire up google earth in advance of your flight. Use the ruler tool then save the output. Then right click on the path you created and select "show elevation profile". This will show you all the elevation changes along your planned flight path. The mavic only knows the elevation of your takeoff point. Now use the elevation profile output from google earth and you can calculate your AGL at any point along your flight plan (see attached sample).

dronemods-2018-064.png

ok scary incedent today, totally my fault no app or settings simply me,,,, i modded my bird for the altitude resctrictions and while i was doing that i changed the asssend decend paramters so she climbs much faster, anyhoo long story short i was shooting the lake today and i flew below my take off point by about 150ft, i didnt have the camera facing down and i got caught up in the moment of the lake and she got to close and i seen water in my camera, i panicked and pushed full speed up, every thing seemed ok then about 2 min later i got a gimbal over load error, and the camera wasnt responding so i brought her home right away, about 400ft from home flying by los only as camera wasnt responding the decend didnt seem to respnd, i panicked again and pushed rth and she started decending, she seemed to respond to sideways and front to back, anyways i got her landed safe and to my shock or not a shock the underbelly was wet and even the battery was wet, i imiteatly took battery out and drove home, i removed the front body and slowly began applying some air from my hair dryer, shes apart and upside down right now, any one survived water issues, is my poor mav a parts machine with only about 5 hours on her, i cant believe i came down so fast, my fault no one elses just wondering if any ones mav has survived water before, and how long before i try a battery in her to see if she comes to llife

Mine survived nicely. Battery off immediately after getting the bird out of water, then dried out on the bathroom floor over night.

ok scary incedent today, totally my fault no app or settings simply me,,,, i modded my bird for the altitude resctrictions and while i was doing that i changed the asssend decend paramters so she climbs much faster, anyhoo long story short i was shooting the lake today and i flew below my take off point by about 150ft, i didnt have the camera facing down and i got caught up in the moment of the lake and she got to close and i seen water in my camera, i panicked and pushed full speed up, every thing seemed ok then about 2 min later i got a gimbal over load error, and the camera wasnt responding so i brought her home right away, about 400ft from home flying by los only as camera wasnt responding the decend didnt seem to respnd, i panicked again and pushed rth and she started decending, she seemed to respond to sideways and front to back, anyways i got her landed safe and to my shock or not a shock the underbelly was wet and even the battery was wet, i imiteatly took battery out and drove home, i removed the front body and slowly began applying some air from my hair dryer, shes apart and upside down right now, any one survived water issues, is my poor mav a parts machine with only about 5 hours on her, i cant believe i came down so fast, my fault no one elses just wondering if any ones mav has survived water before, and how long before i try a battery in her to see if she comes to llife
Yes! You can survive water if your mini gets submerged.
mine just crashed in a shallow river - I estimate it took me 90 seconds to get her out pull the battery and another 8 minutes to get home. Opened battery bay door and set hair dryer (medium heat) at her bay opening about 10” away and on medium fan let her sit there for 40 minutes. She became bone dry again - I just fired her up in the living room and did a series of flight tests - SO FAR SHES TOTALLY FUNCTIONAL. Heart rate has come back to normal.
Remember: 1. battery / card out immediately.
2. Get to a hair dryer fast.
3. Have patience

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King