DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hastings Point - NSW Far north coast (Australia)

Fishman Dan

Reactions
I travelled into the NSW/QLD 'Bubble' on the Far North NSW Coast to play footy yesterday, and took a moment after the match to head out to Hastings Point.

A beautiful winters day on the north coast - temperature approaching the mid-20's, a gentle sea breeze, not a cloud in the sky and the Pacific Ocean to the horizon. Mt Warning can also be clearly seen in the background of shots taken from the water looking onshore.

Also my first flight over the ocean. I have flown across dams on farms and floodwaters before, but never offshore. I drew quite a large crowd while I flew, several very interested onlookers (and one other drone pilot). Terrific way to spend the day (if only I fully charged all of my batteries!).

Enjoy. My first video with a soundtrack (thanks to the YouTube Audio Library).

I agree. Beautiful footage. Take out the jerky pans and tilts and bring it down to about 3:30 time wise and I think you have a gold video.
Sounds like it was a great day and even better having people that were not negative around you. Loved watching it and thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Fishman Dan
Thanks for the comments .... especially the work-related one, that made me smile!

100% agree re: jerkiness. I need to get into the gimbal settings and modify them and make them smoother. I basically decided to split the clips between camera movements, obviously I left a few in.

This was my first flight for some time, so much of the flight time was spent re-learning where everything is. I also had an assembled crowd and was showing them certain features on the controller at times. There was a moment there where I left the drone hovering out to see for 10-15 seconds - I must have been talking too much!

This spot is about 90 minutes from where I live, but I will more than likely go back there, or to one of the neighbouring beaches. I am utterly mesmerised by the broken water colours and textures. 100% of the reason I own a drone today, so I can replicate that effect.

Reactions: Maik Kellerhals
I agree. Beautiful footage. Take out the jerky pans and tilts and bring it down to about 3:30 time wise and I think you have a gold video.

Thanks for the hint re: timing. I sensed 5-6 minutes is a touch too long. Now I think about it, most YouTube Audio clips are about that length.

Sounds like it was a great day and even better having people that were not negative around you. Loved watching it and thanks for sharing!

That's a really good point - not only where people not annoyed with the flight, but they were quite the opposite - intrigued. There is plenty of space there, so it would have taken a good effort for someone to actually manufacture annoyance.

When I return/landed the drone there was a person sitting directly under it (from about 20m), we had a laugh as I manoeuvred off to the side to miss her.

Looks great! Nice colors, the movement is a little jerky.
When i read "NSW" i first thought it meant "Not Safe for Work" - That pulled me in ;)

I'd be hard pressed getting the wife on camera, much less with a drone flying around the room!

I travelled into the NSW/QLD 'Bubble' on the Far North NSW Coast to play footy yesterday, and took a moment after the match to head out to Hastings Point.

A beautiful winters day on the north coast - temperature approaching the mid-20's, a gentle sea breeze, not a cloud in the sky and the Pacific Ocean to the horizon. Mt Warning can also be clearly seen in the background of shots taken from the water looking onshore.

Also my first flight over the ocean. I have flown across dams on farms and floodwaters before, but never offshore. I drew quite a large crowd while I flew, several very interested onlookers (and one other drone pilot). Terrific way to spend the day (if only I fully charged all of my batteries!).

Thank you. Lots of good memories of family camps there back in the day.

Thank you. Lots of good memories of family camps there back in the day.

We used to drive to the Gold Coast via Wooyung because of the highway at Burringbar. The road along the coast/beach is such a nice drive. It was really nice to get back to that part of the world, I haven't been down that road for pretty much 20 years.

The scenery is beautiful but the quick yaws and jerking oaks are disruptive. Try to avoid these quick moves, and if necessary, edit them out. They only contribute a reason to stop the tape.

The scenery is beautiful but the quick yaws and jerking oaks are disruptive. Try to avoid these quick moves, and if necessary, edit them out. They only contribute a reason to stop the tape.

As mentioned above, that is my next step. Does anyone have any recommendations and/or pointers for this?

I'm out and about today but brought the drone so I can take a look.

There are settings on my Mavic 2 Pro for all of these moves. You can dampen the responsiveness of the sticks by adjusting them. There are many videos out there on settings for each drone. In addition, what you can't do with slowing down the responses of the sticks in yaw, and other moves, you can edit out the jerks in post. My best friend is the YouTube videos on settings. You mentioned using You tube music so just go to You Tube and search for settings for your Mavic Pro Platinum, (which I know nothing about). I did a quick search for you and am attaching a screen grab. Hope this helps.Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 9.08.53 PM.png

There are settings on my Mavic 2 Pro for all of these moves. You can dampen the responsiveness of the sticks by adjusting them. There are many videos out there on settings for each drone. In addition, what you can't do with slowing down the responses of the sticks in yaw, and other moves, you can edit out the jerks in post. My best friend is the YouTube videos on settings. You mentioned using You tube music so just go to You Tube and search for settings for your Mavic Pro Platinum, (which I know nothing about). I did a quick search for you and am attaching a screen grab. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the super informative post. I recall seeing something about stick sensitivity (that's the keyword I was after), so will look into this. I tried to edit out some of the jerky changes, but I really did it hastily so I'm not surprised I left some in there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803