DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hats off to DJI - bulging batteries replaced

Dakrisht

Reactions
Hats off to DJI support for replacing five (5) Mavic 2 batteries that were well out of warranty.

All batteries were bought back in 2018/2019 and well out of warranty. They all recently started bulging from heavy use.

A quick live chat with DJI, a quick video of the batteries showing the bulge and no questions asked - received 5 brand new batteries via next day air a few days later.

Stellar customer service and some insight for for anyone struggling with bulging batteries. They’ll take care of you.

Yes, they did the same for me, with batteries bought early 2019. It seems there must have been a batch of bad batteries manufactured then because I have heard many reports of such batteries being replaced free. But I think there was a more responsible thing for DJI to have done: they should have recalled and replaced any battery from the bad batch, regardless of whether it had started to swell.

Reactions: mereflyer
There was a bad batch, but I'm also convinced that everyone across industries is being very generous with swelling battery packs due to the catastrophic failures that have occurred in recent years, and what settling liability and doing recalls costs. Think Samsung.

Packs are not supposed to age and fail that way. most don't. They just start losing capacity at EOL, or the cells won't balance acceptably while charging, etc. Swelling means hydrogen is being produced, and that simply should not happen.

Their legal department has surely informed management that a jury is not going to be swayed by, "it was out of warranty" when DJI had an opportunity to replace the battery at their (tiny) cost, avoiding the customer's house burning down.

Reactions: Coskier and KLRSKIR
A product that was expected to do this, with attendant safety risk, would never meet regulatory requirements for sale in the US.

Yes, they did the same for me, with batteries bought early 2019. It seems there must have been a batch of bad batteries manufactured then because I have heard many reports of such batteries being replaced free. But I think there was a more responsible thing for DJI to have done: they should have recalled and replaced any battery from the bad batch, regardless of whether it had started to swell.
I wish I had known this earlier. I got rid of six(6) batteries for my Mavic Pro 2, and purchase six(6) brand new one(s) from DJI

Lucky.
I had 3 batteries, all swelled, DJI refused even within warranty as its a consumable.
Bought 3 more, those swelled, same thing.
Result is i have 7 M2P batteries, 1 is good, 2 are swollen but just about usable, the others are paper weights.

At no point did they ever offer to replace them.

Hats off to DJI support for replacing five (5) Mavic 2 batteries that were well out of warranty.

All batteries were bought back in 2018/2019 and well out of warranty. They all recently started bulging from heavy use.

A quick live chat with DJI, a quick video of the batteries showing the bulge and no questions asked - received 5 brand new batteries via next day air a few days later.

Stellar customer service and some insight for for anyone struggling with bulging batteries. They’ll take care of you.
Lucky.
I had 3 batteries, all swelled, DJI refused even within warranty as its a consumable.
Result is i have 7 M2P batteries, 1 is good, 2 are swollen but just about usable, the others are paper weights.

So, what made the difference between those offered replacement batteries, and those not? Can you each share exactly HOW you contacted DJI?

Don't know if these dates apply to your batteries, however as @GadgetGuy reported several years ago when many others were having a similar problem:
The suspect battery Production Dates are 2018.07 and 2018.08 which were unfortunately the ones shipped to the early adopters.

Reactions: basyok
I wonder if it'll work for my M1P battery. Only charged 50 times? 2017 battery.

It does say in the manual not to charge while hot. But this battery was used from previous owner.

So, what made the difference between those offered replacement batteries, and those not? Can you each share exactly HOW you contacted DJI?
Dji support at web site

Reactions: basyok
Lucky.

if you purchase Mavic Mini batteries, you will not have those problems, as they are li-on, not li-po. I often run my Mini battery in my Mini 2, and performance difference is not noticeable, but the battery does seem to give out a few minutes earlier ...

DJI have replaced batteries for me with zero qualms, this is why we spend extra for their drones. They are a first class company

NOW you tell me. I had 3 P4 batteries that were swelling so bad I couldn't even get them in the drone. Since they were purchased in 2018 I just took them to the disposal bin at Home Depot. I didn't even consider they would be willing to do anything. And you could tell it was from hydrogen gas under the foil covering.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa