DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have a Lightweight body for Dji Mavic2 P/Z.

mrtor

Reactions
Have any one or company make a Lightweight body for change Mavic 2. The Mavic 2 has weight 0.9 Kg. I think if we reduce bodyweight of Mavic, It can flight more time and faster. I think body must lightweight and durable. My opinion overall weight is 0.7 Kg it must be better performance in term of speed and flight time.

Have any one or company make a Lightweight body for change Mavic 2. The Mavic 2 has weight 0.9 Kg. I think if we reduce bodyweight of Mavic, It can flight more time and faster. I think body must lightweight and durable. My opinion overall weight is 0.7 Kg it must be better performance in term of speed and flight time.

Thinking outside the box is awesome , but keep in mind that thinner molds have a tendency to crack as seen in the phantoms and such, there is a fine line that is already being pushed to the limit where as video stability would be lost.

Phantomrain.org
Elite gear for you Mavic
Coal

Viking: theres a manufacturing concept called planned obsolescence. The question was not dumb, someone asked if anyone else thought about ways to improve the drones performance. Its very well engineered but that doesnt mean that different textures or lighter weight parts wouldn't incrimentally improve our hobby. You mentioned drilling holes to be one but golf ball texture doubles the distance a golf ball travels, why not a Mavic 2?
If you think you are a better engineer or inventor than the people at DJI You can always drill some holes in your toy, show us some pictures what you have done.[emoji23]

Reactions: Jam0ne
...someone asked if anyone else thought about ways to improve the drones performance. Its very well engineered but that doesnt mean that different textures or lighter weight parts wouldn't incrimentally improve our hobby
I think you could squeeze out efficiencies based on props, improved motors/controllers, and with batteries with greater capacity.
You mentioned drilling holes to be one but golf ball texture doubles the distance a golf ball travels, why not a Mavic 2?
One of the reasons that dimples on a golf ball increase the range of the ball because the dimples decrease drag behind a blunt object. They would not have that effect on a mavic because it has a "slender" body. If the dimples worked on non-spherical shapes, every airplane in the world would be using them. While drag has an affect, a quad rotor drone is not an aerodynamic design and reducing drag will have less an impact of flying time than electrical efficiencies would.

Viking: theres a manufacturing concept called planned obsolescence. The question was not dumb, someone asked if anyone else thought about ways to improve the drones performance. Its very well engineered but that doesnt mean that different textures or lighter weight parts wouldn't incrimentally improve our hobby. You mentioned drilling holes to be one but golf ball texture doubles the distance a golf ball travels, why not a Mavic 2?
Yeeah, yeeah, yeeah.
you can also build a ”blimp” and fill it with Helium, then it’s lighter than air.

Lighter body would mean its more affected by wind and turbulence so the motors are working harder to station keep. It might actually REDUCE flight time.

Great comment, no such thing as a dumb question. We ask these questions to learn more, make friends, etc. Not to be criticised by someone they don't know. Keep asking the questions, we'll answer them.

Reactions: mrtor, ff22 and PAW
I just see mavic mini only 249g and it can fly better time, stable and low volt battery. I only thinking why mavic 2 can't do?

I just see mavic mini only 249g and it can fly better time, stable and low volt battery. I only thinking why mavic 2 can't do?
Mavic 2 has larger props, larger battery, more sensors all around, bigger camera, etc....

Each UAV (DJI or any other), is a mathematical equation.
Weight, motor values, ESC, prop combination...it is a balance..You put in even a slightly more aggresive prop, and flight time will be reduced because motor load changes, and this also can effect the ESC's. Flying the Mavic aggressively in sport mode for a time will start to throw esc errors.

Now, as to drilling holes to lighten the airframe, it will also allow other debris into the bird.

Reactions: Thomas B
....Now, as to drilling holes to lighten the airframe, it will also allow other debris into the bird.
Plus that would affect airflow around the Mini, potentially causing turbulence and/or increasing drag. Not to mention introducing structural weaknesses.

It's like cutting holes in the fenders of a Honda Civic to lower the weight and make it go faster when what you really wanted was an Arial Atom. They both have 4 wheels and a Honda engine, just designed for different purposes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki