DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have DJI Care Refresh, but left on the hook for $178 in shipping costs

verslen

Reactions
Any fellow Canadians used the DJI Care Refresh plan? I recently had to use mine and this has been my experience.

I live in Canada which is one of the coverage areas for DJI Care Refresh. When I bought a Mavic Pro Platinum in February I also bought the DJI Care Refresh protection plan.

In late March I crashed my drone, doing some damage to it. I contacted DJI and they gave me instructions for sending the drone to their service facility in Grapevine, Texas, USA. After sending to Texas, DJI decided the drone qualified for replacement under the DJI Care Refresh plan. I paid the US$89. Everything's good so far. Late last week DJI shipped the drone back to me. It's shipped by ground so it takes about a week to arrive. On Wednesday I had an email from UPS saying that import fees are due on the shipment, and I can't have the shipment until they are paid. The import fees are 178.39! According to the DJI Care Refresh plan, DJI is responsible for all shipping costs.
So I sent an email to DJI and asked them to pay the invoice from UPS. I included a link to a webpage where they could see the itemized charges and also pay the invoice online. Late yesterday DJI sent me an email back saying they had already took care of the shipping and would not pay customs fees. The itemized invoice doesn't list any customs fees, it lists mostly brokerage fees and freight. DJI told me I should pay the invoice, take a picture of the receipt, send them the picture, and MAYBE they will do something for me.

Am I wrong in thinking this service is very shoddy?

Also, on April 18 I had sent DJI an email specifically asking them to not use UPS to ship the drone back to me because UPS is notorious for charging exorbitant brokerage fees when delivering items from the US to Canada. They shipped by UPS anyway.

Neither you nor DJI should have to pay anything to UPS or the government for customs fees. If you bought the drone in Canada, have a receipt for it, then the customs fee should be excluded on a repair. Sounds like UPS/government wants to charge you customs on the retail price of the drone.

Neither you nor DJI should have to pay anything to UPS or the government for customs fees. If you bought the drone in Canada, have a receipt for it, then the customs fee should be excluded on a repair. Sounds like UPS/government wants to charge you customs on the retail price of the drone.

As far as I can see from the invoice there are no customs fees (duty). The government charges are $14.62 for sales tax. There is a charge of $87.21 for "freight". There is a charge of $76.56 for "brokerage fees" (what UPS thinks they should be paid for collecting $14.62 for the government). I don't understand why there is a freight charge since DJI Support told me they were covering shipping. If any of these charges are inappropriate DJI should be talking to UPS to sort it out, not leaving it to their customer. They are the ones who chose to ship by UPS. So far they have basically told me to pay the invoice and maybe at some point in the future they will compensate me. Not exactly stellar customer service.

Hmm. I'm also in Canada and am on the fence about buying DJI Care Refresh. I thought if I needed service I would be dealing with Shenzen China not Texas. Anything coming out of the US for us with UPS is guaranteed to have import fees.
My MP will arrive Wed from Shenzen and I know there will be no extra fees.
Still unsure if its CR is worth it for me.

I asked UPS to check the accuracy of the invoice they sent me since DJI had told me they took care of the shipping costs. They got back to me today and said that DJI shipped the package to me 'Freight Collect'. That means that DJI did NOT take care of the shipping charges. They left all the shipping charges to land on me. The DJI Care Refresh plan I bought is supposed to protect me from these charges.

Last night I posted about this in the DJI forums. DJI Susan responded in the thread and asked me to post the case number and management would investigate and help me out. So I did. Nearly 24 hours later I haven't heard anything back. But they did remove the thread from their board. :rolleyes: So far my opinion about DJI customer service is not improving much.

Reactions: wheels
I would not worry about it until it actually arrives and see what (if anything) needs to be done. if you pay anything dji will generally reimburse you (look at sale delivery threads) worrying about it before you get it is just gonna drive you nuts. And possibly needlessly.

I bought from multirotorHeli in Calgary. I sent them a message asking if I need to use DJI care refresh do I send it to them in Calgary or do I have to send it back to the US. Just sent it out a few seconds ago so I'll let you know when the answer comes back.

Multirotorheli said that it has to be shipped to the USA.
And DJI covers the shipping.

Last edited:
My Mavic air is coming in a few days. Multirotorheli has issued me a DJI care refresh number. When do I go about entering that information? I understand there is a 48 hour time limit to get it in.

So 2 days ago I had a voicemail from a person named 'Apple' at DJI. They advised me to not pay the shipping charge from UPS. There had been a miscommunication between DJI and UPS. I should not have been charged the shipping fee. DJI were letting UPS know to bill them for the shipment and not me.

To make a long story short, I still cannot pick up the shipment because UPS has no record of DJI paying the shipping or communicating to UPS that they are going to pay the shipping.
Yesterday I was promised in a telephone call with 'Apple' at DJI support that the problem would be fixed by the end of the day and I would be able to pick up the package. It wasn't and it still isn't. The package has now been sitting in a UPS warehouse a couple miles from my home for over a week and I'm still no closer to being able to pick it up. DJI customer service is a joke.

So 2 days ago I had a voicemail from a person named 'Apple' at DJI. They advised me to not pay the shipping charge from UPS. There had been a miscommunication between DJI and UPS. I should not have been charged the shipping fee. DJI were letting UPS know to bill them for the shipment and not me.

To make a long story short, I still cannot pick up the shipment because UPS has no record of DJI paying the shipping or communicating to UPS that they are going to pay the shipping.
Yesterday I was promised in a telephone call with 'Apple' at DJI support that the problem would be fixed by the end of the day and I would be able to pick up the package. It wasn't and it still isn't. The package has now been sitting in a UPS warehouse a couple miles from my home for over a week and I'm still no closer to being able to pick it up. DJI customer service is a joke.
Your frustration is very understandable. I would be furious.
Hope it gets resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78