DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you tested the drone delivery app yet?

Drone delivery may not be cost effective or practical today, but the future could surprise you. When I was in my 20's, a good color TV was several thousand dollars, I can go to Walmart today and get a flat screen for less than $500. Technology is amazing.
'If you can dream it, you can do it.' - Walt Disney

My guess is if the drone delivery ever gets off the ground it won’t be for everyone. Chances are you are buying something and at checkout you would have a choice. Truck or drone for delivery . If drone is picked chances are you would have to have a open spot for landing and someone be there waiting for the package . If the criteria cannot be met or if the landing zone is obstructed the drone will abort the delivery and you will get the traditional truck delivery . My guess is the landing zone will have to have GPS coordinates and it clearly marked landing pad . Then the info would be entered on the Amazon website for the drone delivery . It’s a cool idea . Years ago nobody thought a vehicle could ever do auto braking so two vehicles can’t get too close while on cruise control . Times are changing but some of us dinosaurs just can’t picture the future. There are about 6 or more company’s working on passenger drones . Things are going to change lots in the next 20 years
Looking at the current trial suitability for delivery of the destination address is determined at the time of placing an order with the app. The user selects from options provided in the app (for the actual address). It seems, from the limited information available, final delivery is managed by a remote operator with the assistance of a camera on the deliver drone (flight to the destination being autonomous). There is no landing pad required as the drone doesn't land, the package is lowered by a cable which releases and retracts when the package is on the ground.

Reactions: ianannase
......final delivery is managed by a remote operator with the assistance of a camera on the deliver drone (flight to the destination being autonomous). There is no landing pad required as the drone doesn't land, the package is lowered by a cable which releases and retracts when the package is on the ground.
Is this a joke or are you being serious?

Ok, as long as this is the “operators description” it sounds completely plausible then
I read a more detailed explanation elsewhere but this link has the basics https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...rvice-will-actually-work-20181115-p50g4t.html

Another interesting observation from the article is that they are claiming delivery cost will be less than $10.

As I mentioned earlier it seems the biggest initial obstacle will be the naysayers (community objections).

Btw- I agree, as I expect most would, this isn’t going to replace traditional delivery any time soon for all packages. Almost certainly never will. It seems clear however current technology can and probably will provide for a profitable enterprise in a niche market.

I cant imagine that your average Phanton or Mavic could carry the load or the average pilot sitting around prepared for the order. But, whadda I know??? will be interesting...

Maybe not, but we are using these exact drones to replace full scale airplanes and helicopters for aerial photography. Who would have ever thought that too? Inspire or bigger drones could deliver pizzas, no problem.

I cant imagine that your average Phanton or Mavic could carry the load or the average pilot sitting around prepared for the order. But, whadda I know??? will be interesting...
They aren’t using average consumer grade sUAV... As to the operator it’s their job to manage the deliveries, they are getting paid to sit around and do it. No real imagination required.

Still don't trust people. You can't leave packages unattended. In the news prior to Christmas, there have been CCTV footage of crooks stealing packages from people's front porch. Christmas grinches!

Still don't trust people. You can't leave packages unattended. In the news prior to Christmas, there have been CCTV footage of crooks stealing packages from people's front porch. Christmas grinches!
The theif would have to fight you for the burrito. You might expect that persons who use this device would be in attendance for the delivery.

This is a nice website about drone delivery history and status:

Delivery drone - Wikipedia

I like this part in particular. 500 pound payload cargo drone!

"In January 2018, Boeing unveiled a prototype of a cargo drone for up to 500 lb (227 kg) payloads, an electric flying testbed that completed flight tests at the Boeing Research & Technology research center in Missouri."

Military tech always trickles down to the consumer and commercial market.
Sounds like a helicopter

Ive found that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Postal insurance, drone insurance, and homeowners insurance will help relieve the worry of online ordering.

FWIW, I have ordered countless items from Amazon. Just a couple of few times, I didnt get the item, because they delivered it to my neighbor by accident. You cant trust anyone, but it helps to be prepared.

The theif would have to fight you for the burrito. You might expect that persons who use this device would be in attendance for the delivery.
You assume people who are expecting for a package will be there waiting. e.g. Uber charges customers if their drivers had to wait > 2 mins. People could be sitting in front of their TV and not hear the drone, I mean, it can't ring the doorbell like a delivery driver. How long can a drone wait hovering before the pilot had to just drop the package and return home before the battery runs low?

Ive found that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Postal insurance, drone insurance, and homeowners insurance will help relieve the worry of online ordering.

FWIW, I have ordered countless items from Amazon. Just a couple of few times, I didnt get the item, because they delivered it to my neighbor by accident. You cant trust anyone, but it helps to be prepared.
Insurance is fine if you are not in a hurry. If it's a Christmas present, and it's 2 days prior to Christmas?

Insurance is fine if you are not in a hurry. If it's a Christmas present, and it's 2 days prior to Christmas?

I just trust Amazon delivery more than any other carrier. I try not to wait until the last minute to order things during the holidays. Keeps the chances down of the package being delayed or misdelivered.

You assume people who are expecting for a package will be there waiting. e.g. Uber charges customers if their drivers had to wait > 2 mins. People could be sitting in front of their TV and not hear the drone, I mean, it can't ring the doorbell like a delivery driver. How long can a drone wait hovering before the pilot had to just drop the package and return home before the battery runs low?
That was my assumption- thinking about what people might currently order. If you order in the app and it provides tracking with an alert on arrival good chance you will be there for your food, beverage, medication etc.

That was my assumption- thinking about what people might currently order. If you order in the app and it provides tracking with an alert on arrival good chance you will be there for your food, beverage, medication etc.
You order Uber from an app, you get alerts and you can track the driver. Still...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54