DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you tested the drone delivery app yet?

This could be for real. There are many reports that Google here in Australia have done 50,000 test flights in Adelaide for food and goods delivery. It looks like they have many of their own custom drones.
Surf clubs in Western Australia have been testing float drops to people in need of rescue.

Oh, for sure, Australian surf clubs are quite serious about wanting to use drones as Search & Rescue aids but that type of activity should not be compared to commercial drones operating over heavily populated areas delivering goods.

I have read the information in relation to the currently ongoing Drone Delivery trial in Canberra that is published on the CASA website, but it is still just a trial. It costs CASA nothing to give these guys a go and it would be overly draconian for them to not allow such a trial to go ahead. But at the end of the day, I personally don't believe that it will become a commercial reality, at least not in the short to medium term.

In the meantime, the involved stakeholders can continue to perfect the Navigational Control software components as well as developing motors that are as quiet as possible. These two challenges alone will go a long way to alleviating public concern that, as previously mentioned, is most always taken into account as part of the law-making process.

Last edited:
Reactions: ianannase
Most likely you wont even hear or see them.
I was just reading an article the other day about a woman in another country were this is allowed and her neighbor was driving her nuts with constant deliveries.
And even when cruising, I expect to be able to see and hear them unless they'll be allowed at over 400 feet. Delivery drones would be larger than our relatively small ones and I can see and hear them at 400 feet.

I was just reading an article the other day about a woman in another country were this is allowed and her neighbor was driving her nuts with constant deliveries.
And even when cruising, I expect to be able to see and hear them unless they'll be allowed at over 400 feet. Delivery drones would be larger than our relatively small ones and I can see and hear them at 400 feet.

Delivery drones would more likely be at 1000' AGL

Oh, for sure, Australian surf clubs are quite serious about wanting to use drones as Search & Rescue aids but that type of activity should not be compared to commercial drones operating over heavily populated areas delivering goods.

I have read the information in relation to the currently ongoing Drone Delivery trial in Canberra that is published on the CASA website, but it is still just a trial. It costs CASA nothing to give these guys a go and it would be overly draconian for them to not allow such a trial to go ahead. But at the end of the day, I personally don't believe that it will become a commercial reality, at least not in the short to medium term.

In the meantime, the involved stakeholders can continue to perfect the Navigational Control software components as well as developing motors that are as quiet as possible. These two challenges alone will go a long way to alleviating public concern that, as previously mentioned, is most always taken into account as part of the law-making process.
So they move from an initial trial to acquiring commercial premises with significant additional capital investment because it didn’t seem feasible? By all accounts the outcomes of the trial have met or exceeded forecast deliverables. We won’t have to wait long to see if this is a comercial reality. As to the noise hey haven’t banned leaf blowers or power tools yet. You might expect limitations on operating hours however safety and privacy will be the principal determining factors. People not liking them isn’t enough.

So they move from an initial trial to acquiring commercial premises with significant additional capital investment because it didn’t seem feasible? By all accounts the outcomes of the trial have met or exceeded forecast deliverables. We won’t have to wait long to see if this is a comercial reality. As to the noise hey haven’t banned leaf blowers or power tools yet. You might expect limitations on operating hours however safety and privacy will be the principal determining factors. People not liking them isn’t enough.

Sorry but people (enough of them) not liking something is more than enough to put that something on the back burner or indeed totally quashed. Let's wait to see the outcome.

Sorry but people (enough of them) not liking something is more than enough to put that something on the back burner or indeed totally quashed. Let's wait to see the outcome.
I really hope your pessimism is well founded- life as we know it as drone enthusiasts will almost certainly need to be seriously restricted for these services to operate.

I hope drone delivery dies in the cradle. It'll bring a lot of congestion to the airspace, likely bring more restrictions to recreational and other types of commercial pilots, and also likely end up benefiting a select few companies running fleets of delivery drones. Most people will be locked out of even getting started providing delivery services. Then there's the nuisance and very real intrusion of ugly, noisy machines dropping in and taking off on a regular basis, especially in urban areas. Just for the convenience of lazy people to make mostly impulse purchases.
Either way I don't think all of the cons come close to outweighing any of the pros. Maybe drone delivery should be available for very select services and that's it.

At Zing, we're developing a peer to peer delivery system that connects any two people using a DJI drone, the Zing app, and the Zing delivery box.

We launched a Kickstarter to improve our iOS app's features and functionality, develop an Android app, and improve Zing delivery box production through contract manufacturing.

Kickstarter Link

We envision a future where the everyday drone pilot can make deliveries around their community with the same drones they have been using for photography. Whether it’s a cup of sugar to the neighbor down the road, a tool across the farm, a part from one factory building to another, or any number of use cases where it’s more convenient or effective to send a small item by drone. Current drones have both the physical and technological capabilities to do this. We are building Zing for the everyday drone pilot to facilitate these point to point deliveries using the drones they already have. We also hope to lay the ground work for eventual commercial deliveries that could enable more than 90,000 certified drone pilots to earn money using their own drones. To do all this, we have built a fully functional mobile app and delivery device for the world's most trusted drones, DJI's Mavic series. Zing's app allows drones to fly on autopilot and the Zing Delivery box is aerodynamic and lightweight.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-3.gif

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-5.gif

At Zing, we're developing a peer to peer delivery system that connects any two people using a DJI drone, the Zing app, and the Zing delivery box.

We launched a Kickstarter to improve our iOS app's features and functionality, develop an Android app, and improve Zing delivery box production through contract manufacturing.

Kickstarter Link

We envision a future where the everyday drone pilot can make deliveries around their community with the same drones they have been using for photography. Whether it’s a cup of sugar to the neighbor down the road, a tool across the farm, a part from one factory building to another, or any number of use cases where it’s more convenient or effective to send a small item by drone. Current drones have both the physical and technological capabilities to do this. We are building Zing for the everyday drone pilot to facilitate these point to point deliveries using the drones they already have. We also hope to lay the ground work for eventual commercial deliveries that could enable more than 90,000 certified drone pilots to earn money using their own drones. To do all this, we have built a fully functional mobile app and delivery device for the world's most trusted drones, DJI's Mavic series. Zing's app allows drones to fly on autopilot and the Zing Delivery box is aerodynamic and lightweight.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-3.gif

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-5.gif
It's a great idea, really. But this could only works in a perfect world unfortunately, unless people change. Amazon experienced those issues already with their drone deliveries project. The main issue are drone crashing because of mechanical failures. And the other main ones are thieves. We live in a world where everybody always want to make a quick buck selling stolen expensive equipment, and I see this project ending with lot of stolen Mavic. So will never send my $1600 drone to land front of a total stranger. Already as it is, when someone found a drone with all the contact info stickers on it from its owner, they apparently (from what i read on some forums) just remove those stickers and then go and sell the drone on eBay or Craiglist.

But again, love the idea and really wish it could works. May be for sending tool across the farm or snack to friends, this could works. In any case, going to support you on Kickstarter ;)

We are building Zing for the everyday drone pilot to facilitate these point to point deliveries using the drones they already have. We also hope to lay the ground work for eventual commercial deliveries that could enable more than 90,000 certified drone pilots to earn money using their own drones.
See post #68 for a few ideas on things you'll have to work out if you want to get this off the ground.
And then there's the tricky issue of FAA compliance.

Just can't see this happening with any of the non commercial type drones like a Mavic. Automation needs to go a long way before it's feasible IMO. With the right technology though, site to site air delivery with larger drones might happen someday soon. My thoughts would be places difficult to reach by normal means that are in more undeveloped areas, or places with dedicated heli pads or approved landing spots. But landing in someones front yard with a bag of Taco Bell tacos? Sorry I just don't see it. Maybe some places have clear landing zones but many areas are riddled with communication and power lines not to mention other obstacles. Don't want to do this:

mylar.JPG

Kickstarter Project update: We have almost reached 50% pledged with 22 days to go. Please consider backing this project! By backing, you will be helping us to improve the iOS app, launch the Android app, and partner with a contract manufacturer for the delivery box. Backers also receive their own delivery box.

The Zing delivery box is aerodynamic and lightweight. Check out this video of it in flight!

Check us out on Instagram: @zinghq

Join the drone delivery revolution on Kickstarter

Reactions: drakkor
Kickstarter Project update: We have almost reached 50% pledged with 22 days to go. Please consider backing this project! By backing, you will be helping us to improve the iOS app, launch the Android app, and partner with a contract manufacturer for the delivery box. Backers also receive their own delivery box.

The Zing delivery box is aerodynamic and lightweight. Check out this video of it in flight!

I've had a look at your website but have questions as follows:-
  • How much progress have you made in terms of getting clearances to launch and land from state and/or local authorities?
  • Are you confident that you will be able to successfully compete with the many low-cost Delivery services already established?

I've had a look at your website but have questions as follows:-
  • How much progress have you made in terms of getting clearances to launch and land from state and/or local authorities?
  • Are you confident that you will be able to successfully compete with the many low-cost Delivery services already established?

Today Wing, a company under Google's parent company Alphabet, was accepted into the FAA's UPP program. They will be leading the way on the front of drone delivery regulations. There are 13 testing sites around the US actively contributing to NASA's UTM program, which will be completed in September of this year. Uber Eats and Wing are now two major drone delivery players contributing to that data. Getting a viable UTM program in place is still the most important. The highest priority right now is getting the FAA to make the necessary changes to 107.31 LOS. Once those changes are made we can focus our efforts on the state and local level. As of right now we are just riding on the coat-tails of Wing and Uber Eats as they enable the necessary changes to 107.31.

We are very confident that we will be able to compete with these delivery services. They are slow and wasteful. Drone deliveries are quick, convenient, and eco-friendly.

No support here. I hope it fails, preferably before it gets any further. Nothing personal, but I don't really care to have that crap flying ANYWHERE near me. That's all we need - swarms of buzzing, unsightly nuisance drones feeding our lazy, materialistic habits.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato