DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HDMI Monitor for Smart Controller

Parkerjh

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I am trying to figure out how to use an HDMI monitor coming out of the HDMI output of the smart controller to display on a bigger screen during flight. I have tried a couple different monitors and HDMI cables/adapters and nothing seems to be recognized.

Frustratingly, I called DJI to inquire and the rep told me that the HDMI output is only for data transfer and it wasn't designed to be used for another monitor and that they "don't support" that. Obviously that is all entirely wrong. It WAS designed for that: the question is how to properly get it set up and what monitor does it support.

Reactions: Joethedrone
You need to drag down the menu in setup and then touch the HDMI button:
IMG_5333.JPG

thanks for the reply: yes, that's what I have tried. I press and hold the HDMI button but I am not able to select any of the setup options....seemingly as though I have nothing connected.

Wow, worked fairly seamlessly for me. Suggestion, do you have another HDMI cable? Could be that. My tiny monitor also can get confused as to which port I want to use, so occasionally I have to toggle through the selections to reselect the correct HDMI port for input on it.

Reactions: TampaTC
thanks for the help, I did try two cables and certainly possible both are bad as they are old and I haven't used them in ages. I will try again tomorrow with a new cable and see if that helps.

If you didn't already, try hooking up to one of your TV's and see if they accept the signal. May narrow it down a bit.

Make sure you have the current Update on the SC,

We plug into to use the Monitor and it find it automatically make sure the monitor knows what device to use .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Screenshot 10-11-2020 21.38.13.jpg

Reactions: TampaTC and Papabri
I use a Beetronics 10inch field monitor, battery powered and lasts for 8 hours. I think I was unable to change any settings unless the monitor was plugged in. Gives a nice clean HD screen.
I do find the smart controller screen a bit on the small size and can get cluttered.
Good luck
Regards Mick

I am trying to figure out how to use an HDMI monitor coming out of the HDMI output of the smart controller to display on a bigger screen during flight. I have tried a couple different monitors and HDMI cables/adapters and nothing seems to be recognized.

Frustratingly, I called DJI to inquire and the rep told me that the HDMI output is only for data transfer and it wasn't designed to be used for another monitor and that they "don't support" that. Obviously that is all entirely wrong. It WAS designed for that: the question is how to properly get it set up and what monitor does it support.
That doesn't seem to agree with what DJI told me when I inquired about using goggles connected to my Smart Controller via HDMI. According to Sirius here, the HDMI is just video, no data.

2021年3月24日 GMT+814:44
Hi Brian,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Please be noted that the HDMI port on DJI Smart Controller is for the image transmission and video can be shared in an additional monitor.

As for Goggles, it can connect with the FPV Goggles in DJI FPV Digital System via USB-C port, by using the app on the Smart Controller called FPV live.

And the Goggles is the last generation, please refer to the link below.
Buy DJI FPV Goggles - DJI Store

And it's can only share the image on the FPV Goggles, there will be no OSD and no access to adjust the settings. Please be noted that this is the connection between SRC and the FPV Goggles, not Goggles with the Mavic Air 2.

We hope the message is helpful and find you well.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact us back.

We sincerely hope you have a good day and everything goes well!

Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Sirius

Attachments

• 1616610727614.png
    1616610727614.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 20
thanks for the help and replies everyone.

Turns out the issue was not the Smart Controller at all.

I first tried using an iPad with HDMI to USB-C adapter but iPads can't do HDMI in. Only out (despite what the Apple store told me and sold me a $60 dongle). The other monitor that I tried is old and I think just has a faulty adpater.

When I plugged into known working TV, it worked just fine.

Glad I got that figured out, frustrating how abysmal DJI support is. I don't know why I ever even bother calling them. I ordered a portable field monitor from Amazon so I should be all set.

I use the Feel World 729S monitor and B&H were selling them for around $235. I got mine on ebay as an open box for $177. I plug my SC with the HDMI cable right into the Feel World monitor and it worked immediately. This is a 7 inch SUPER bright monitor at an amazing 2,200nits. Nothing on the market even comes close to this brightness. You want to take a look at this monitor.

Reactions: BBartol

I just mirror the SC to my iPad 11 Pro, works just fine.

Smart controllers are great!
Yes they are!

When I got my first Smart Controller a couple years ago, I kicked myself in the *** for waiting so long to get it and can't imagine flying without it.

AND now, I have rigged up a field monitor onto my Smart Controller, and frankly, I can't imagine flying without this setup now. Screen is far brighter than even the already bright Smart Controller. And with the monitor set to just camera view, I get rid of all the clutter on screen and can better frame my shots.

I have a quick release plate on the monitor too so if I want to swap over to my DSLR, it is quick and easy.

Yes, the $700 controller, $100 bracket and $250 monitor makes for an expensive controller rig but I fly 5-6 days/week and is worth every single penny.

Attachments

• IMG_20210609_201115.jpeg
    IMG_20210609_201115.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20210609_201131.jpeg
    IMG_20210609_201131.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 43
Reactions: T-REX and RS6_Pilot
Yes they are!

When I got my first Smart Controller a couple years ago, I kicked myself in the *** for waiting so long to get it and can't imagine flying without it.

AND now, I have rigged up a field monitor onto my Smart Controller, and frankly, I can't imagine flying without this setup now. Screen is far brighter than even the already bright Smart Controller. And with the monitor set to just camera view, I get rid of all the clutter on screen and can better frame my shots.

I have a quick release plate on the monitor too so if I want to swap over to my DSLR, it is quick and easy.

Yes, the $700 controller, $100 bracket and $250 monitor makes for an expensive controller rig but I fly 5-6 days/week and is worth every single penny.
Agree and here's a shot of mine

20190921_100638.jpg20190921_103549.jpg

Correction, I stated the wrong model number for my 2,200 NITS Feelworld, it should have read the 279S model (NOT 729S).

Correction, I stated the wrong model number for my 2,200 NITS Feelworld, it should have read the 279S model (NOT 729S).
Model FW279 is on Amazon for $259. I just picked up a Mavic 3 with pro controller. I wish I could find a 10 inch screen which was super bright. Even the Feelworld 10-inch is only 400 nits.

Model FW279 is on Amazon for $259. I just picked up a Mavic 3 with pro controller. I wish I could find a 10 inch screen which was super bright. Even the Feelworld 10-inch is only 400 nits.
Yes, it's true they don't seem to currently make a large high brightness monitor. However, just to see the camera view at 2,200NITS, I do like my Feelworld 279S. When the monitor gets larger, it also gets more cumbersome to pack and hold, as nice as a large screen is, of course.

I suspect the reason we don't see a lot of large (8-inch+) high brightness screens is that battery consumption goes up exponentially as size increases. I am used to flying my Mavic Pro with a 10.1 inch tablet, but I am starting to do a lot more work on sunny days where glare on the screen is ridiculous even in the shade with a hood. My tablet won't work with the new pro controller, so it looks like I'll be ordering a Feelworld :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54