DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Head tracking for M1P, by changing motor axis position. Is that possible?

O'Neill

Reactions
hi, can we physically modify the M1P gimbal camera to be like Inspire's, and change the script so that it can do head tracking.
I see there is a great chance of success to be able to realize this, referring to the increasing number of modification masters and the equipment they use.

So, yeah I guess this could really work. What are the chances in your opinion?

Attachments

• IMG_20210614_095400.jpg
    IMG_20210614_095400.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 12
hi, can we physically modify the M1P gimbal camera to be like Inspire's, and change the script so that it can do head tracking.
I see there is a great chance of success to be able to realize this, referring to the increasing number of modification masters and the equipment they use.

So, yeah I guess this could really work. What are the chances in your opinion?
You can do full gimbal (yaw and pitch) head tracking with the DJI goggles. It’s the only circumstance I know of where you can control the yaw of the gimbal separately from the aircraft. You can find the white DJI goggles for pretty cheap.

Reactions: O'Neill
You can do full gimbal (yaw and pitch) head tracking with the DJI goggles. It’s the only circumstance I know of where you can control the yaw of the gimbal separately from the aircraft. You can find the white DJI goggles for pretty cheap.
Hi, thanks Brett.I understand what you mean, and I do have one goggles. It's just that what I mean is to modify the Mavic Pro gimbal camera so that it can be controlled 360 ° with a head movement sensor..

I understand what you mean, and I do have one goggles. It's just that what I mean is to modify the Mavic Pro gimbal camera so that it can be controlled 360 ° with a head movement sensor..

Yes goggles head tracking works a treat . . .

Just noted your photo, do you fly with your gimbal cover on ?
Just curious, most take it off of course, some do leave it on, but it isn't the best idea for optics when filming or photographing.
Hi, thanks Oz for your replay.

I just need to keep the gimbal cover in a scratch-free state in order to still get good photos and videos. Indeed in certain lighting situations this produces a bias or shadow on the gimbal cover like a mirror effect, but this can be overcome simply by adding a dark sticker there (it works like an ND Filter, only glued to the gimbal cover). but most importantly it has been proven to save my gimbal in the event of a fatal crash, several times it crashes and the gimbal cover has really provided good protection and saved the gimbal. I only need to replace it with a new cover when it starts to look blurry when taking pictures or videos.

Hi, thanks Brett.I understand what you mean, and I do have one goggles. It's just that what I mean is to modify the Mavic Pro gimbal camera so that it can be controlled 360 ° with a head movement sensor..

I understand what you mean, and I do have one goggles. It's just that what I mean is to modify the Mavic Pro gimbal camera so that it can be controlled 360 ° with a head movement sensor..
Even if you physically could you’d just be looking back at the inside of the aircraft because the gimbal is recessed up in the fuselage. It works on the inspire because the gimbal hangs off the bottom and has the retractable landing gear.

I think you can use the googles to use head movement to yaw the aircraft 360 but you couldn’t do it with the gimbal.

Thats exactly what i mean, doing physically modification for mavic pro gimbal so it can pulling down and up with a motor (back to it original position)... I Saw this in mavic pro 3 predesign, and i thing this may aplicable to mavic pro 1, we just need coding the script and add more channel and may be we need to mod the app too...

Thats exactly what i mean, doing physically modification for mavic pro gimbal so it can pulling down and up with a motor (back to it original position)... I Saw this in mavic pro 3 predesign, and i thing this may aplicable to mavic pro 1, we just need coding the script and add more channel and may be we need to mod the app too...
Well more power to you if you want to try it but it would be the most ambitious mod ever.

You’d need to make the physical modifications to the gimbal which will require custom parts but then also figure out how to modify the firmware to allow this and the app too.

Unfortunately you probably won’t have much help either. Most people that were doing this stuff have moved on. When I was doing my work 2.years ago it already felt like I was late to the party.

Well more power to you if you want to try it but it would be the most ambitious mod ever.

You’d need to make the physical modifications to the gimbal which will require custom parts but then also figure out how to modify the firmware to allow this and the app too.

Unfortunately you probably won’t have much help either. Most people that were doing this stuff have moved on. When I was doing my work 2.years ago it already felt like I was late to the party.
Thanks Brett for your advice. And I think you're right about a lot of things here, maybe this will just be a crazy idea that never materialized. Physically modifying the gimbal is tricky, but on the coding side it's a big consideration and decides whether it will work or not, and of course I can't do this on my own since I don't know much about programming. So yeah this would just be kind of a dream. And here are some reference pictures that gave rise to this idea..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-06-25-02-31-02-757_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-25-02-31-02-757_com.android.chrome.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2021-06-25-02-30-00-327_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-25-02-30-00-327_com.android.chrome.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2021-06-25-02-30-11-846_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-25-02-30-11-846_com.android.chrome.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2021-06-25-02-30-42-373_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-25-02-30-42-373_com.android.chrome.jpg