DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Heading error!Advise needed !!

ajshippy

Reactions
Greetings pilots! Compass heading in radar shows about 90 to 180 deg off every time AC has a gps lock and it is very inconvenient to fly in this scenario. I have done IMU and compass calibration as required ,still no improvement. I am using iPhone 7 Plus with RC on mavic 2 pro . Any suggestions! Also I have noticed that iPhone compass with RC CONNECTED shows 90 deg off heading and immediately after removal of RC iPhone compass shows correct heading !

Greetings pilots! Compass heading in radar shows about 90 to 180 deg off every time AC has a gps lock and it is very inconvenient to fly in this scenario. I have done IMU and compass calibration as required ,still no improvement. I am using iPhone 7 Plus with RC on mavic 2 pro . Any suggestions! Also I have noticed that iPhone compass with RC CONNECTED shows 90 deg off heading and immediately after removal of RC iPhone compass shows correct heading !
It might be that your Mavic's compass is calibrated OK, but is your iPhone's compass also calibrated?

It might be that your Mavic's compass is calibrated OK, but is your iPhone's compass also calibrated?

Many thanks ! I have calibrated the phone compass as advised and have tested with short flight! All seems to be in order !! I didn’t knew AC depends upon phone compass for direction ! Will revert again after a long flight results .

I didn’t knew AC depends upon phone compass for direction ! Will revert again after a long flight results .
It doesn't.
Your display depends on the phone or tablet compass to know which way you are facing, but the display compass has zero effect on the drone.

I have noticed that iPhone compass with RC CONNECTED shows 90 deg off heading and immediately after removal of RC iPhone compass shows correct heading !
That's a result of the magnetic field of your controller deflecting the compass in your phone.

Either try to calibrate your phone compass already attached to the RC ... alternative you can try to turn your phone 180 degree in the RC attachment to see if the RC doesn't influence the phone compass in that direction.

Reactions: ajshippy
Either try to calibrate your phone compass already attached to the RC ... alternative you can try to turn your phone 180 degree in the RC attachment to see if the RC doesn't influence the phone compass in that direction.
That’s exactly what I did tonight ! It was showing again 180 deg off ! Recalibrated the phone compass attached to RC and later on it was pointing in the correct direction.

Interesting to know that the radar uses the device is compass. The radar is perfect when I fly with the regular controller in my iPad mini but with smart controller it’s way off.
I went into settings and calibrated the compass for smart controller and now the radar is correct

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting to know that the radar uses the device is compass.
The drone's compass is providing data showing which way the drone is pointing
Data from the compass in your device is necessary to display the direction of the drone relative to where you are facing.
The radar is perfect when I fly with the regular controller in my iPad mini but with smart controller it’s way off. I wonder if there’s a way to calibrate the smart controllers compass.
A little googling brings up this suggestion:
When the Go 4 app has taken you through to the ready to fly screen, you swipe the screen downwards twice which will bring up the controller menu. In the bottom right of the options is Settings. Select that and then scroll down until you see Compass. That will show you how to callibrate the SCs compass.

So I discovered. That’s actually an android menu. The settings are really more like system settings.
Meaning they have nothing to do with the DJI app.

Your display depends on the phone or tablet compass to know which way you are facing, but the display compass has zero effect on the drone.
Very interesting. I'm using an old phone without compass. So it mean I won't have acurate headings. That's also an important information for choosing tablets, as cheap ones also don't have compass.

But there´s probably some less accurate calculation going on, although I've noticed a couple times when the heading is off, most of the time it seems accurate.

Very interesting. I'm using an old phone without compass. So it mean I won't have acurate headings. That's also an important information for choosing tablets, as cheap ones also don't have compass.
You'd have to be looking at a nasty, old tablet if you have one that doesn't have a compass.
And a cheap, old tablet isn't going to run the app very happily.
The app is demanding and needs a fast processor and plenty of RAM.

I've never found a compass-less tablet to try so I can only guess how it displays.
Perhaps it just shows north-up rather than the direction you are facing being up?

You'd have to be looking at a nasty, old tablet if you have one that doesn't have a compass.
And a cheap, old tablet isn't going to run the app very happily.
The app is demanding and needs a fast processor and plenty of RAM.

I've never found a compass-less tablet to try so I can only guess how it displays.
Perhaps it just shows north-up rather than the direction you are facing being up?
You´re probably right. The phone I'm using actually has a compass, what it doesn't have is a gyroscope: Samsung Galaxy A9 Pro (2016) - Full phone specifications

I wonder if that wouldn't important also. I know I can't use apps that require precise movements because of that, like 3d apps. It might also affect the phone's ability to display accurate radar info.

I wonder if that wouldn't important also. ... It might also affect the phone's ability to display accurate radar info.
Your phone doesn't need any sensors except the compass to display the app properly.
All the phone has to do is act as a video screen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123