DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Heart Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a fixed wing & variable pitch rotor RC Pilot for 20 years. I was itching to buy a drone & couldn’t pass up on the Air 2
I was so impressed with the stability even in windy conditions and the incredible vistas. But it’s all over for now. Yesterday I took my MA2 up to my 88 yr old mothers home she’s preparing to list for sale to get some aerial shots. I went straight up to 300ft & slowly came down taking pics and video. At about 35ft her neighbor came running out of his house with a shotgun screaming like a madman. I can’t repeat what he said but it was the ranting of a lunatic. Within seconds he fired both barrels & my newest buddy fell into her yard. I calmly call the police. Cut to the chase, he’s getting charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm in a residential area & reckless endangerment. Fortunately I was doing everything by the book and presented pictures & video to illustrate how carefully I was flying. I was so looking forward to going out to some scenic places this week and having some fun.
My God! Some people's brains work a bit differently than most!

Reactions: jato
Excuse the pun but it’s up in the air. My mother at 88 yrs must live next to this person. At least until she sells. The city is definitely charging him but I’d hate to bring retribution onto my family. The police were quite sympathetic & are encouraging me to follow up.
You need to follow it up otherwise the loonies win! Stay safe. ? ?

Reactions: jato
At times like these, I know you are interested in being reasonable, given that your 88 year old grandmother lives next door, but this person is very much in need of some comeuppance. It is possible that a friendly lawyer letter would get your money back out of court, or else it could be mentioned that the fright that both you and she endured (the sleeplessness, etc) could be worth something in a court of law. Pain and suffering, I think they call it. That could be worth a call to someone. Just sayin. I own weapons, and this kind of loose cannon just gives us all a bad name.

Reactions: jato and 23tony
Been a fixed wing & variable pitch rotor RC Pilot for 20 years. I was itching to buy a drone & couldn’t pass up on the Air 2
I was so impressed with the stability even in windy conditions and the incredible vistas. But it’s all over for now. Yesterday I took my MA2 up to my 88 yr old mothers home she’s preparing to list for sale to get some aerial shots. I went straight up to 300ft & slowly came down taking pics and video. At about 35ft her neighbor came running out of his house with a shotgun screaming like a madman. I can’t repeat what he said but it was the ranting of a lunatic. Within seconds he fired both barrels & my newest buddy fell into her yard. I calmly call the police. Cut to the chase, he’s getting charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm in a residential area & reckless endangerment. Fortunately I was doing everything by the book and presented pictures & video to illustrate how carefully I was flying. I was so looking forward to going out to some scenic places this week and having some fun.
I think I’d offer to drop the charges if he got you a brand new drone immediately. It would give him a way out of s legal hole and you’d be back to square one. Also that way he shouldn’t bear any grudge toward you and certainly not to your mom.

Reactions: Bbarr
I'm hoping that DJI does not define being shot by someone else as deliberate. Legalities withstanding, of course.

Anyway jato,
very sorry to hear what happen. It is crazy world we live in. I know your Constitution allows the arming of your citizens but perhaps it is time to look at the pros and cons.
If I lived next to a nutter like that, I would be glad to have an equal right to bear arms ........ a magnum! ???? Stay safe! And take some nice flowers to your Mum ?????

I think I’d offer to drop the charges if he got you a brand new drone immediately. It would give him a way out of s legal hole and you’d be back to square one. Also that way he shouldn’t bear any grudge toward you and certainly not to your mom.
Offer to take some nice aerial pics of him, his gun and his house ..... then encourage him to use them to also sell up and move away! ??? ? Stay safe

• Haha
Reactions: bzmot
Sorry for you luckily in the UK its relatively difficult to access a firearm we get verbal abuse more misleading info to the public what drone flyers are only enjoying there hobby MavicAir 2 is a great drone encourige you to carry on.

Welcome to the forum from the woods of Maine!

Sorry for your disastrous first flight. You would probably win in Small Claims court if he won’t reimburse you....

Your well written words demonstrate a very level headed demeanor. Given your description of the lunatic’s demeanor (holding a shotgun) were you ever in fear for your own life? I realize shooting a person vs a drone is another level of crazy, but the thought did cross my mind when I read your post.

I am a newbie but since the FAA regulates these drones, wouldn't they get involved in an incident like this. To me, messing with a drone operating in free airspace would be the same as messing with someone's mail, it should be a federal offence. If someone would do that to my drone, I would be contacting the FAA since to me it falls under their jurisdiction and is the same as shooting at any registered air craft. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

Have you filed a law suit in civil court? you should be able to get a judgement to get the cost of the drone from your next door neighbor drone murderer - Good Luck....

Reactions: KurtpH

Hexshoujd have to replace it. If the judge doesn’t make him, take him to small claims court. It’ll be a slam dunk.

I am a newbie but since the FAA regulates these drones, wouldn't they get involved in an incident like this. To me, messing with a drone operating in free airspace would be the same as messing with someone's mail, it should be a federal offence. If someone would do that to my drone, I would be contacting the FAA since to me it falls under their jurisdiction and is the same as shooting at any registered air craft. Am I wrong in thinking this way?
It is a violation of a federal law and you should check into that.

Reactions: KurtpH
So sorry to hear that this happened @jato. It must have been horrific and surreal. Your mom must have been in shock!

I found it interesting that the police didn't charge him with a felony specifically related to shooting at an aircraft. It was my understanding that shooting at a drone was viewed, legally, in the same light as shooting at any aircraft.

So, as mentioned above, welcome to this wonderful forum, even under these circumstances.

I was going to say what a crazy world we live in.

But no, we live in a beautiful world...... with too many crazy people!

Stay safe!
Spot On! Great way of looking at life on this orb. :)

Reactions: Papa_G
I’d go straight to the FAA with this one. This was a registered aircraft, with a certified operator and there is a mandate provision for reporting accidents in a specified time. I’ll look it up if someone doesn’t beat me to it.

10 days to file an FAA report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acott