DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Heart Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I asked how he saved the video if the aircraft was destroyed

I'd think it a pretty high chance that (assuming he was using one) a microSD card would have survived. Extracting it from a broken drone might be problematic, but it's small enough and encased within the drone that I would not be at all surprised to see the microSD card still intact.

Been a fixed wing & variable pitch rotor RC Pilot for 20 years. I was itching to buy a drone & couldn’t pass up on the Air 2
I was so impressed with the stability even in windy conditions and the incredible vistas. But it’s all over for now. Yesterday I took my MA2 up to my 88 yr old mothers home she’s preparing to list for sale to get some aerial shots. I went straight up to 300ft & slowly came down taking pics and video. At about 35ft her neighbor came running out of his house with a shotgun screaming like a madman. I can’t repeat what he said but it was the ranting of a lunatic. Within seconds he fired both barrels & my newest buddy fell into her yard. I calmly call the police. Cut to the chase, he’s getting charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm in a residential area & reckless endangerment. Fortunately I was doing everything by the book and presented pictures & video to illustrate how carefully I was flying. I was so looking forward to going out to some scenic places this week and having some fun.
Did you have it insured? If not, call your insurance agent for your new one. State Farm is insuring mine. $60.00 premium covers up to $1,500.00 in value.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I think I’d offer to drop the charges if he got you a brand new drone immediately. It would give him a way out of s legal hole and you’d be back to square one. Also that way he shouldn’t bear any grudge toward you and certainly not to your mom.
never drop the charges this guy need to be charged and then made an example. Show the world yu can't do this stuff and get away with it.

Reactions: Rudiger and naiku
I bought the care refresh package with my Mavic pro a few years ago and have used it
Twice..
Dji never even ask for the data and one time I sent in what Little was left of my bird and got a replacement and the other time it was run over by a car and got replaced no question ask..
So I believe you will get a replacement and DONT WORRY IT WILL NOT BE A REFURB!!
I’ve seen post here where people claimed that happened..

I'm wondering how shotgun pellets might be acceptable by DJI when they open it up, lol.
If they did ask, the OP could just say the neighbour thought it was a duck !

Well, the OP has to make a decision on FAA filing / federal aspects of punishment for the neighbour, if it is 10 days to report the incident to the FAA.

That's a big step, the neighbour probably deserves it, but once the report filing 10 days has past, the OP might lose the ability to do this if the neighbour turns off to requests for compensation.
That would still leave civil action of course, which the OP should win easily.

Not sure if going through FAA is the best choice, if the OP just wants a replacement Mavic and be happy again.
Qfter all once the FAA get its teeth into such a case, they would not likely drop it.
The neighbour might be put in a position (incarceration) where he can't work, earn, pay damages etc.

Having civil action leverage for restitution is probably enough for the OP.

People like this neighbour as seen all the time in vehicle dashcam road rage videos online, they just act without thinking about consequences.

Wonder if we'll ever see dedicated drone rage channels popping up ?
Suppose then you'll see idiots flying their drones to create incidents, some of the motorbike channels have riders obviously do that for dramatic video.

The neighbour might be put in a position (incarceration) where he can't work, earn, pay damages etc.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Too many people these days not accepting the consequences of their own actions, if he didn't want to deal with the fallout of shooting the drone down, he shouldn't have shot it. OP likely would have been reasonable if the guy just talked to him.

Cut to the chase, he’s getting charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm in a residential area & reckless endangerment. Fortunately I was doing everything by the book and presented pictures & video to illustrate how carefully I was flying. I was so looking forward to going out to some scenic places this week and having some fun.

What’s the likely outcome and penalty in the states for an offence like that? I hope it’s a harsh penalty. There needs to be some sort of deterrent to stop these brain damaged, mentally challenged clowns from coming out with guns and threatening to shoot.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Too many people these days not accepting the consequences of their own actions, if he didn't want to deal with the fallout of shooting the drone down, he shouldn't have shot it. OP likely would have been reasonable if the guy just talked to him.

I agree totally, but just taking a look from outside our drone forum / knowledge base etc . . . how many people not associated with drones would have a clue it's a federal / serious offence to cause a drone to crash for any reason, be it shoot it down, throw rocks at it, or indeed throw a towel at it ?
It wouldn't be a tiny % of the US population (or other such regulated country) that would know this.

Reactions: naiku
There needs to be some sort of deterrent to stop these brain damaged, mentally challenged clowns from coming out with guns and threatening to shoot.
From the OP there was no threatening.
. Within seconds he fired both barrels

I agree totally, but just taking a look from outside our drone forum / knowledge base etc . . . how many people not associated with drones would have a clue it's a federal / serious offence to cause a drone to crash for any reason, be it shoot it down, throw rocks at it, or indeed throw a towel at it ?

It's a very good point, i often wonder what percentage of drone owners have then registered with the correct authority, labeled etc.

To counter your point though, maybe it will be good for general knowledge if the guy gets fully punished... "hey, did you hear about" type of thing could spread some useful information, of course, as with anything where the general public is involved, it's tough to predict what any outcome would be.

After he has been "convicted/found guilty" (hopefully) of unlawful discharge of a firearm, then it's time for small claims court to get compensated for the loss of your camera equipment....

The criminal court can and typically DOES also add restitution for damages caused during an offense, so that the offender is required to pay for what they did to the person(s) whose property was damaged. Be prepared to testify as a witness/victim, bring documentation to prove the value/cost of your damaged equipment, and offer to provide a copy of the video as evidence.

I am thankful that no one was injured, and that your okay. Sorry for the agg and your loss but your still here to post it and in todays world that counts for a lot.

Reactions: Capt KO
Unreal i would had been in a fist fight, so sorry some crazy nut ruined your hard earned money,do not give up, been flying for 4 years and no trouble

No Part 107 needed to film your mother’s house. Nothing illegal bout that even if using to sell the house. No money changed hands. (Even if it did, no one would know). Mom won’t tell.
Personally, I would sue for damages even if care refresh replaces it. Hope publicity doesn’t hurt the sale. Madman next door. He needs to be put away or at least stopped.
Good luck, rootin for ya. ?

Just showed this thread to my wife. She says her friends husband, just this week, bought a shotgun to blow the drones out of the sky in their private gated community. Thinks they are all paparazzi filming his family because he’s famous, in his own mind. A self-absorbed nobody wanting to “Serve and Protect” his little serfdom. Idiot!
She is passing this on to them as we speak. Pass it on, this has to be stopped. A few going to prison or huge fines might do the trick.
Stay safe, y’all.

Just showed this thread to my wife. She says her friends husband, just this week, bought a shotgun to blow the drones out of the sky in their private gated community. Thinks they are all paparazzi filming his family because he’s famous, in his own mind. A self-absorbed nobody wanting to “Serve and Protect” his little serfdom. Idiot!
She is passing this on to them as we speak. Pass it on, this has to be stopped. A few going to prison or huge fines might do the trick.
Stay safe, y’all.
yikes. May I know what is the easily fatal range to be hit by a shotgun, to avoid it if possible?

yikes. May I know what is the easily fatal range to be hit by a shotgun, to avoid it if possible?
I make the mistake of pausing at aprox 40ft to show my mother the display from the drone. If I’d just kept moving I’d been ok. Or better yet if I’d been watching the feed I would have seen him running out in time to take evasive maneuvers.

• Sad
I'm hoping that DJI does not define being shot by someone else as deliberate. Legalities withstanding, of course.

Anyway jato,
very sorry to hear what happen. It is crazy world we live in.
edit- I would like to apologize for the subsequent talk on the topic of arms.
I’m of the mind that this guy would have done something violent with or without a firearm. Interesting note, the Mavic was still operational! It took a terrible hard hit so it’s on it’s way back to Dji service but it was still alive & kicking after all that.08524A85-0861-4D55-8616-CFB95BA9EE7E.jpeg

• Wow
Good point Cyborg . . . I'd go after his homeowners insurance. He discharged the firearm from his own yard (illegally).
He’s being charged for unlawful discharge of firearm & wreck less endangerment. The police officers said the city is charging him regardless. The mavic is on its way back to California/DJI. Depending on the cost to replace I’ll be holding him responsible for that amount.

I am sorry that your Mom's neighbor decided to act so irresponsibly, illegally as well as dangerously. Once your MA2 was shot it could have done some serious damage to someone on the ground. One caution, however, is that I believe the FAA guidelines in the US prohibit drones from being flown over a person not protected by some form of structure. I could be wrong but worth checking into.

Reactions: jato
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard