DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Helicopter drone strike in Chile.

And of course the flyer would have synched his incriminating flight data ... ?
I was thinking about the synchronisation... If he didn't upload the flight log or data to DJI server or airdata site or anywhere else I guess the only way to have access to these data is through the drone or his phone. If the authorities removed and hold his phone and drone , this drone pilot needs these flight record evidence to be accessible in case to use them to prove his innocence , if he is innocent ...

Reactions: Sjassie
I want to see the last flight log of this drone....speed, attitude, direction etc
I hope these records are stored also at DJI database. I would like to hear both sides. If this drone pilot broke the rules , he will be in big trouble and there will be a chain reaction which will affect all of us.
Seeing the logs would indeed answer some Q's... but technically, there are no sides on this, assuming Chilean sUAS laws are similar to USA laws, it is up to the drone pilot to stay clear no matter what.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
My buddy flies a Eurocopter EC130. The windshield is polycarbonate. Just one of the reasons he wears a helmet with visor when he flies. In the helicopter the windshield has a pretty sharp angle. He has hit a bird once going about 50mph. It basically left a scuff mark, the bird was not so lucky

It will be interesting to find out at exactly what height this happened, I have a strong suspicion the helicopter was below 130m, they seem to think they can fly around ultra low level all the time which is totally unneccary for what they are doing. I was flying my MA2 along the beach the other day and got a warning of 'traffic' when a civilian chopper flew past so low it was below my drone height which was I think at about 40m!!! The chopper was not actually close to my drone though.

It will be interesting to find out at exactly what height this happened, I have a strong suspicion the helicopter was below 130m, they seem to think they can fly around ultra low level all the time which is totally unneccary for what they are doing. I was flying my MA2 along the beach the other day and got a warning of 'traffic' when a civilian chopper flew past so low it was below my drone height which was I think at about 40m!!! The chopper was not actually close to my drone though.

First off WELCOME to the forum @747ace .

Exactly what altitude do you suggest the helicopter should have avoided? Why do you think your toy UAS should have any type of priority of any manned aircraft?

In this case the navy helicopter was patrolling the beaches looking the people swimming, in Chile the navy act as coastguards. in this case is very nessesary fly "ultra low level"

First off WELCOME to the forum @747ace .

Exactly what altitude do you suggest the helicopter should have avoided? Why do you think your toy UAS should have any type of priority of any manned aircraft?
Going by the previous postings that in Chile UAV's can operate up to 130m then that would be a very good place to start and NOT come below. I can not see how a helicopter patrolling the beach would need to be any lower unless it was involved in an operation when it would be much slower if not even hovering. No where did I suggest for 1 minute that my 'toy UAS' should have any type of priority, so not sure how you read that in there, I was simply stating what happened! I know from first hand experience that helicopters tend to fly around much lower than is really necessary....'cause it is fun!

ATP SE/ME/Helicopter recently retired 747 Captain with over 30 000 hours.

Reactions: MSAllen618
Going by the previous postings that in Chile UAV's can operate up to 130m then that would be a very good place to start and NOT come below. I can not see how a helicopter patrolling the beach would need to be any lower unless it was involved in an operation when it would be much slower if not even hovering. No where did I suggest for 1 minute that my 'toy UAS' should have any type of priority, so not sure how you read that in there, I was simply stating what happened! I know from first hand experience that helicopters tend to fly around much lower than is really necessary....'cause it is fun!

ATP SE/ME/Helicopter recently retired 747 Captain with over 30 000 hours.

How do you/we know what kind of PATROL they are doing? If they find something and need to go lower what process do you suggest to notify all the hobby/toy UAS operators in the immediate area while maintaining a sense of urgency?

I respect your designations and I'm shocked that someone with so much seat time is advocating for hard MINs for manned aircraft. Especially since this wasn't merely a Joy Ride but a Patrol Helo doing what they need to do. I just find it ironic that a person of your distinction takes such a hard stance.

Reactions: sar104 and Malcx
Rather curious how much damage the Mavic 2 inflicted.

https://aeroaccess.ebizcdn.com/media/AA-Polycarbonate-Windshield.pdf

Bell 206B windshield should’ve been capable of handling this impact better than that shown in photos. Makes me question if an inferior replacement shield was used in the helicopters maintenance.
The windscreen material originally installed on Bell 206B is polycarbonate- 250x stronger than glass.

I built a Cab for my SxS and the side windows are made out of polycarbonate . They have been extremely strong . They have taken direct hits from logs and not cracked . It is strange how such a light toy could destroy the windscreen . Seeing stuff like this happen will kill the hobby we enjoy

The whole situation it makes me think about a hypothetical scenario...
Lets say I am flying legally a drone up to 120m in a area which is "supposed" to be free of any aircraft.
But suddenly an aircraft appears from nowhere in a high speed and low altitude. Will I have time to react quickly and take the drone down to avoid any kind of accident even a deadly one?
Because if there is a slight chance something like that to happen and I end up in prison this is not very encouraging to fly drones anywhere in this planet.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest