DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Delays DHART Helicopter Taking Off With Seriously Injured Woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks but of course you know when I posted 0/0/0, that's supposed to mean insignificant and negligible
Insignificant and negligible is not what 0/0/0 means - if you mean few enough to not be statistically relevant you need to say it that way instead of 0/0/0... no one here can read your mind.

When it comes to solutions and answers, I'm left standing here alone.
So far, I haven't seen you post any solutions nor answers. Could you enumerate a few of these for us? In simple terms?

Sure no problem. When it comes to posting the injuries and destruction caused by drones, the posts come fast and furious and decisive. When it comes to solutions and answers, I'm left standing here alone. Happens alot.
  • In this thread there have been several suggestions for improving SUAS safety and operator education. See posts 14, 16, 20, 26, 33, and 38. Several other folks posted support of those ideas.

• There has been a single person condemning those suggestions. See posts 39, 41, 44, 46,and 49.

• In this thread there have been several suggestions for improving SUAS safety and operator education. See posts 14, 16, 20, 26, 33, and 38. Several other folks posted support of those ideas.

• There has been a single person condemning those suggestions. See posts 39, 41, 44, 46,and 49.
I am currently condemning suggestions that involve more unnecessary government rules and regulations. I have repeated mentioned let's get the manufacturers more involved in promoting safety and help with combating issues like encroaching on forest fires and showing up at airport runways and interfering with operations; let have them do more more. Can you help me out with that?

Reactions: mobilehomer
Insignificant and negligible is not what 0/0/0 means - if you mean few enough to not be statistically relevant you need to say it that way instead of 0/0/0... no one here can read your mind.
Yeah I see that now. Honestly, I thought everybody knew that. I thought it had been discussed over the years that drone incidents are so few and so infrequent that it isn't necessary to talk about the few unfortunate injuries that have actually occurred and finally accept that we need to pivot on the issue. I really wish we could get past that but unfortunately we cannot. And I believe we cannot because if we acknowledge that drones are not dangerous or risky, we lose a lot of ground. NYC wouldn't be able to say they have no initiated a brand new safety program in 2023 that will allow residents to safely fly drones across the city. As long as the few horrendous incidents are propped up in this fashion, anything done in the name of safety and privacy will resonate. I knew this wasn't going to be easy.

• Wow
Reactions: Torque
I am currently condemning suggestions that involve more unnecessary government rules and regulations. I have repeated mentioned let's get the manufacturers more involved in promoting safety and help with combating issues like encroaching on forest fires and showing up at airport runways and interfering with operations; let have them do more more. Can you help me out with that?
You are asking for Government Mandates that would force drone manufacturers to take responsibility for educating consumers?
Or do you think if we ask DJI nicely, they will toss a "safety manual" in the drone box?
One that will be read with the same gusto and enthusiasm that the owner's manual enjoys?

• Haha
Reactions: umanbean
I knew this wasn't going to be easy.
Fighting the good fight all by yourself, eh?

let have them do more more. Can you help me out with that?
Help you out with what exactly? Are you contacting manufacturers to ask them to put safety and educational materials in the box, or something to that effect?

Reactions: BigAl07 and Torque
You are asking for Government Mandates that would force drone manufacturers to take responsibility for educating consumers?
Or do you think if we ask DJI nicely, they will toss a "safety manual" in the drone box?
One that will be read with the same gusto and enthusiasm that the owner's manual enjoys?
No sorry I'm not asking for more government mandates. I'm asking for less government mandates. I believe manufacturers can do more. I don't think DJI should "take responsibility" I think they should take just "a little bit more responsibility." It can be done without laws and regulations, just look at the other stuff in our society and use that as a model. Mobile phones, social media, cameras, gps. With a stellar safety record in the drone space, it won't be hard to DJI to put a little bit more effort into make the sky safe and continuing to make the consumer drone of the safest hobby activities in the world. If you or DJI don't know how it's done, just ask us....We'll get it done.

I don't see it that way, I disagree. I don't believe the only way to get a "safety manual" in the drone box is to pass a law or a government mandate. Again, if you would abandon your government heavy handed ways (which won't work) and ask us how to get it done, we can go that route and we can put this behind us. We've already done quite a bit without the rules, just look at our impressive safety record and you'll see what we can accomplish without unnecessary rules and regulations. However, there may be just a couple of more steps to go. I agree the big stuff like RID, etc needs government intervention. For example, you pass a 400 feet rule, we take it from there.

BTW, this "safety manual" we can write will be 10x better than any government employee can write. It won't be full of weasel words and hollow threats that are unenforceable and make no sense. It will be designed to educate so the honest flyer can easily comply because we know the dishonest flyers are the government's job to deal with (because nothing can be done about them) and we prefer to be kindly left out of that nonsense when we deal with the majority of hobbyist that enjoy flying drones. Give us a chance, it cannot hurt.

By the way, I use the word "us" so it doesn't apply to "me." It's not about me it's about the problem...please focus on the problem.

• Haha
Fighting the good fight all by yourself, eh?

Help you out with what exactly? Are you contacting manufacturers to ask them to put safety and educational materials in the box, or something to that effect?
We knew it wouldn't be easy but from past experience with dealing with other issues, I personally knew it wouldn't be easy, too. There are many of us fighting the good fight. Most everyone here on this forum has a position and a voice in the struggle to sustain the hobby.

Help us with ideas please. Solutions to the problems. I realize a lot of people have been working hard on coming up with a good plan and we support those effort that involve more flyers and less government.

Ok gang... we (myself included) are woefully Off Topic here....

Let's stray back to the original topic and if we want to dive into the side track then someone can start a new thread about it and I'll go back and CLEAN this one.

Allen

No sorry I'm not asking for more government mandates. I'm asking for less government mandates. I believe manufacturers can do more. I don't think DJI should "take responsibility" I think they should take just "a little bit more responsibility."
How? Who determines what the parameters of "responsibility" vs "a little responsibility" are going to be?
Who enforces it? DJI, out of the goodness of their heart?
If you or DJI don't know how it's done, just ask us....We'll get it done.
I'm asking right now? How you gonna get it done?
Again, if you would abandon your government heavy handed ways (which won't work) and ask us how to get it done, we can go that route and we can put this behind us
OK, I'm asking HOW?
We've already done quite a bit without the rules, just look at our impressive safety record and you'll see what we can accomplish without unnecessary rules and regulations.
.....oh?
For example, you pass a 400 feet rule, we take it from there.
Who is we? How?
BTW, this "safety manual" we can write will be 10x better than any government employee can write. It won't be full of weasel words and hollow threats that are unenforceable and make no sense. It will be designed to educate so the honest flyer can easily comply because we know the dishonest flyers are the government's job to deal with (because nothing can be done about them) and we prefer to be kindly left out of that nonsense when we deal with the majority of hobbyist that enjoy flying drones. Give us a chance, it cannot hurt.
Huh?

By the way, I use the word "us" so it doesn't apply to "me." It's not about me it's about the problem...please focus on the problem.
You also used the word "You?" a lot. Does that mean its about me? heh.

I would love to see a drone course from pilot institute entitled "Your drone and forest fires don't mix" or something to that effect.

Another video that is related to the issue in this post would explain why you cannot fly your drone anywhere near an emergency scene. Entitled "Don't fly your drone near an accident scene: Here's why."

This won't solve all the problems but it will solve some of the problems by using the power of social media to get the word out. Too many pilots don't understand why and too many pilots violate because they don't know they are violating....this may help with one or two of those.

Last edited:
I would love to see a drone course from pilot institute entitled "Your drone and forest fires don't mix" or something to that effect.

Another video that is related to the issue in this post would explain why you cannot fly your drone anywhere near an emergency scene. Entitled "Don't fly your drone near an accident scene: Here's why."
GREAT IDEA!
And at the end of the teaching material they could give us a short quiz! They could call it TRUST and give us a certificate when we complete it! I love this idea!!!

GREAT IDEA!
And at the end of the teaching material they could give us a short quiz! They could call it TRUST and give us a certificate when we complete it! I love this idea!!!
TRUST is ok but it's not working obviously. I'd like to go one step further. Explain the details about why it's such a bad idea (rather than just saying don't do it) to fly in these places. Explain how you are putting lives in danger and why a plane cannot fly when you fly. Go into details of how to spot an emergency situation where you don't belong and point out that looks are deceiving when you think there's the all clear. These types of videos can go viral and reach more people and when pilot institute tells it, more people watch and listen. TRUST is falling on deaf ears, I hope the community will pick up from here. I know I tell anyone that will listen when I get the chance especially if they've already done TRUST.

The truth is TRUST is feckless. Half the people stumble thru the questions and don't pay attention. Nobody will share TRUST videos and people just forget about it. Not against TRUST but I know when it's not doing the complete job. Not saying it should go away but if someone is relying solely on TRUST to get the job done.....anyway, it might be time to make drone safety more than just a cliche and remind people constantly that drone safety can be achieved rather than just assuming all flight are dangerous.

I get it, about TRUST, when speaking to the recreational community there is only so much the government can say about the hobby beyond TRUST. This is why I feel it becomes more important for fellow hobbyist and the manufacturers to do more and pickup where they left off. Torque, you keep trying to shove the government in there where they can't help much, I'm sorry I just don't think that works. If the FAA wants to hire a private agency to get the job done, I'm all for it.

• Wow
TRUST is ok but it's not working obviously. I'd like to go one step further. Explain the details about why it's such a bad idea (rather than just saying don't do it) to fly in these places. Explain how you are putting lives in danger and why a plane cannot fly when you fly. Go into details of how to spot an emergency situation where you don't belong and point out that looks are deceiving when you think there's the all clear. These types of videos can go viral and reach more people and when pilot institute tells it, more people watch and listen. TRUST is falling on deaf ears, I hope the community will pick up from here. I know I tell anyone that will listen when I get the chance especially if they've already done TRUST.

The truth is TRUST is feckless. Half the people stumble thru the questions and don't pay attention. Nobody will share TRUST videos and people just forget about it. Not against TRUST but I know when it's not doing the complete job. Not saying it should go away but if someone is relying solely on TRUST to get the job done.....anyway, it might be time to make drone safety more than just a cliche and remind people constantly that drone safety can be achieved rather than just assuming all flight are dangerous.

I get it, about TRUST, when speaking to the recreational community there is only so much the government can say about the hobby beyond TRUST. This is why I feel it becomes more important for fellow hobbyist and the manufacturers to do more and pickup where they left off. Torque, you keep trying to shove the government in there where they can't help much, I'm sorry I just don't think that works. If the FAA wants to hire a private agency to get the job done, I'm all for it.
Please approach Greg at the Pilot Institute with your idea of taking the responsibility of safety and education from the FAA and making TPI responsible for ensuring our skies are safe.
Please let us know what Greg's response it.

In the meantime we've been asked to get back on topic, so this is my last respone on this thread.

Last edited:
Please approach Greg at the Pilot Institute with your idea of taking the responsibility of safety and education from the FAA and making TPI responsible for ensuring our skies are safe.
Please let us know what Greg's response it.

In the meantime we've been asked to get back on topic, so this is my last respone on this thread.
No problem, agreed it will become my last response on this point in the thread as well since it's pretty difficult getting my points across.

The FAA is ultimately responsible for ensuring our skies are safe. This is my firm belief from the very beginning and it isn't going to change. I know it's a tough pill for the FAA to swallow when they are not upholding their responsibility but the least they can do it let someone else help. They could have used a little help where they failed miserably with RID leaving the entire community holding the bag. Maybe that's an area we all can focus on in the future, how to pick up the slack without stepping on any sensitive toes.

THREAD CLOSED!!

Reactions: MS Coast
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas