DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA investigating near-miss involving drone over Falls

jeplane

Reactions
FAA investigating near-miss involving drone over Falls

Officials at the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating a near-miss between a remote
a6e763d751808796c00adccb0f9e7f8f.jpg
controlled drone and a helicopter captured in an online video, a spokesperson for the organization said Friday.

In its first 10 seconds, the video depicts the upper Niagara River rapids, the precipice of the Falls and the sky above the local landscape. Then the drone - an unmanned aerial vehicle with four propellers and a camera - rotates left toward the Niagara Scenic Parkway and a local air tour helicopter flies in from the bottom of the frame.

Pat Proctor, vice president of marketing for the company, Rainbow Air Inc., said when he first saw the footage he was alarmed but, unfortunately, not shocked.

"I’m glad you and I are talking about this as an incident and not a disaster," Proctor said during an interview with a Niagara Gazette reporter.

Proctor noted that pilots with his company are highly-trained and familiar with scanning the skies in flight for any foreign objects. He said he became aware of the video, which appears to have been recorded last summer, after it was forwarded to him by other drone pilots he knows. The reaction from pilots from his company was harsh, he said.
"Their words probably can't be printed. They were super upset," Proctor said, adding the pilots likened the behavior to the non-permitted or irresponsible use of a firearm.

But Proctor was kinder in his evaluation of the pilot who captured the video – who remains unidentified – giving the individual credit for including an apology with the footage. In a description that accompanied the Youtube.com upload, the pilot said, in part: “I made a mistake. I thought I was safe to fly since I was not in a No Fly Zone ... I did not think of what was going on around the area. My drone was within eyesight, however it was quite far away.

"I was doing a Facebook Live (broadcast) at the time and I actually giggled, but that was my defense mechanism. I hope that anyone that saw that post understands that I do not take my mistake lightly.

"Once I landed the drone and processed what had happened, I was terrified. I couldn’t imagine crashing into a helicopter possibly causing it to crash and kill someone. I’ve learned my lesson. I hope others will learn from this as well," the pilot wrote.

Proctor said, if there is a positive aspect to the incident, it is that it provides an opportunity to educate the public, but it should not be the tour company's responsibility. Drone pilots are accountable for their own understanding of the rules of the skies.

"It's becoming more and more of a nuisance," he said of drone flights in the area. "We’ve seen these drones on more than one occasion."

The rules for flying are strict in the skies above Niagara Falls.

Only permitted aircraft, like the tour helicopters, are allowed in the airspace between the ground and about 3,500 feet, Proctor said. FAA regulations prohibit any drone flights in the area.

A permit is required to launch a drone or fly it around the state park, according to a Dan Keefe, a spokesman for the Office of State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, but it has not stopped some pilots.

"Park police and staff frequently respond to unauthorized use of unmanned aircraft, and ask them to comply with the restrictions," he said.

Keefe said there are no physical signs in the park but there is a notice on the state parks website. Disobeying the regulation can result in a monetary fine, he said, but operators tend to comply when identified by law enforcement.

Jim Peters, a spokesman for the FAA, said the administration has conducted 85 enforcement investigations related to its drone regulations across the U.S. since 2014.

In the past four years, Peters said there have been 10 incidents that have resulted in legal enforcement action, four civil penalties and a suspension of the credentials that allow drone pilots to operate their crafts.

If not mistaken there was a video on that that has been took down and the thread is here about it
Near miss?? Comments?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Last edited:
I have to at least give credit that's a guy did man up about it and not get belligerently pompous and say screw the world I'm doing what I want to do. LOL.
Over the years I've gotten into situations I did not expect and then I look back and realize I'm not perfect! I try to be a rule abiding citizen and pilot but sometimes things happen!
And fortunately tried to be smart enough to learn from those mistakes!

If you look closely at the video, once the copter passes - up to the left about same level on screen there is a small dot flying from left to right... can't tell if it is a bird, or a distant plane or super-drone... could that have been a second drone?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
If you look closely at the video, once the copter passes - up to the left about same level on screen there is a small dot flying from left to right... can't tell if it is a bird, or a distant plane or super-drone... could that have been a second drone?
good catch

Reactions: JakeRobinson
This video is really scary. It also brings into the discussion not adhering to NFZ. As for the other drone, it appears to have rotors and is likely either another fairy close drone or another helicopter off in the distance.

It's clearly another helicopter.

I saw the video that sar104 provided a link to, and must say that it is scary. It appears that the original clip was played forwards and backwards, multiple times, creating confusion.

Clearly, the video is taken looking down on the helo, and there isn't much altitude between them. The video suggests that the helo pilot, assuming he was looking in the direction of the drine, would have seen a dot, against a sky background, slightly above the horizon. The drone operator, if he was maintaining a visual LOS, would have seen both against a bright sky background, and maneuvered away. Also, he would likely have heard the approaching helo from the ground.

Without hearing more from the drone operator, we can't be sure, but it seems clear to me that this incident could have been prevented entirely by the drone operator on the ground.

On a related topic, whenever I hear about people flying drones at extreme ranges, it scares me. There is no way to maintain meaningful situational awareness from a kilometer or more, even if you are getting a video feed from the drone. The video feed is limited to the field of view (FOV) of the camera, which is only a small fraction of the field of regard (FOR). Further, your camera that's looking where you're going, is blind to a threat coming up from behind, or the sides.

I saw the video that sar104 provided a link to, and must say that it is scary. It appears that the original clip was played forwards and backwards, multiple times, creating confusion.

Clearly, the video is taken looking down on the helo, and there isn't much altitude between them. The video suggests that the helo pilot, assuming he was looking in the direction of the drine, would have seen a dot, against a sky background, slightly above the horizon. The drone operator, if he was maintaining a visual LOS, would have seen both against a bright sky background, and maneuvered away. Also, he would likely have heard the approaching helo from the ground.

Without hearing more from the drone operator, we can't be sure, but it seems clear to me that this incident could have been prevented entirely by the drone operator on the ground.

On a related topic, whenever I hear about people flying drones at extreme ranges, it scares me. There is no way to maintain meaningful situational awareness from a kilometer or more, even if you are
getting a video feed from the drone. The video feed is limited to the field of view (FOV) of the camera, which is only a small fraction of the field of regard (FOR). Further, your camera that's looking where you're going, is blind to a threat coming up from behind, or the sides.

Yeah, had a discussion with another member here that thinks flying out to 6000-feet is still keeping it within VLOS (Insert facepalm emojii here...) I’m not going to say anything to others what they did wrong anymore unless they asked specifically for help or advice about it.

Yeah, had a discussion with another member here that thinks flying out to 6000-feet is still keeping it within VLOS (Insert facepalm emojii here...) I’m not going to say anything to others what they did wrong anymore unless they asked specifically for help or advice about it.

As requested.

facepalm.png

Yeah, had a discussion with another member here that thinks flying out to 6000-feet is still keeping it within VLOS (Insert facepalm emojii here...) ...
With the unaided eye and a drone with stock lighting this is true.
Properly equipped I can easily see my drone and determine it’s orientation relative to me with my unaided eyes at 2.5 miles (over 12,000 ft) distance from me in midday AZ sun. I do keep it below 400 ft. The answer for me was 4 of the ARC2 strobes in standard aircraft fashion.

Properly equipped I can easily see my drone and determine it’s orientation relative to me with my unaided eyes at 2.5 miles (over 12,000 ft) distance from me in midday AZ sun. I do keep it below 400 ft. The answer for me was 4 of the ARC2 strobes in standard aircraft fashion.

Really? At night I agree, but during the day in bright sun I haven't found those to be visible beyond a few hundred feet.

He didnt have strobes...

How do you see orientation? The color strobes are very difficult to see at a distance.

Guys, I understand with stock lighting and about the aircraft referenced. I can see mine with the strobes. Don’t know all the differences in humidity, dust and other problems in various US locations, but I can see it as posted above... much farther than the 6000ft referenced by the comrad who’s post I commented on...just saying, not arguing.

Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe