DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sudden, often unexpected, close proximity to police helicopters creates unique challenges for drone operators.

With all due respect I'm calling bologna on this whole scenario. You honestly think your local PD is dispatching a Manned Helicopter to chase/harass your drone over a neighbors complaint? Do you realize the EXPENSE and EFFORT that would entail? Not only that, but they are dispatching a MANNED aircraft to a scene of Unmanned Aircraft activity when the proper procedure for a UAS sighting is to CLEAR THE AREA of all MANNED aircraft. If they clear the air due to UAS activity during an official EMERGENCY, you expect us to believe they are going to dispatch a MANNED aircraft into a suspected UAS area because of a neighbors complaint? Do you see the absurdity of this claim?

For the record, I have asked the FSDO in Miramar FL to reach out to the Naples PD about this matter. If they are indeed dispatching a MANNED aircraft to track down a drone they might need to re-evaluate their procedures.
What I don't understand is how there is responsible flying happening when you can not be aware of your surroundings due to trees a nd limited distance. I fly my neighborhood and I am constantly checking the sky and the camera. Sometimes I make an unneeded circle just to check the sky. I guess I feel that since we are to yield to all manned aircraft; we need to drop lower than or just above the tree and hover. No matter how you look at it, if you are responsible for downing a manned aircraft, you will hang so to speak and rightfully so. I do like that my DJI FPV notifies me when an aircraft is near. It has happened several times and I immediately descend below tree level or land.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
With all due respect I'm calling bologna on this whole scenario. You honestly think your local PD is dispatching a Manned Helicopter to chase/harass your drone over a neighbors complaint? Do you realize the EXPENSE and EFFORT that would entail? Not only that, but they are dispatching a MANNED aircraft to a scene of Unmanned Aircraft activity when the proper procedure for a UAS sighting is to CLEAR THE AREA of all MANNED aircraft. If they clear the air due to UAS activity during an official EMERGENCY, you expect us to believe they are going to dispatch a MANNED aircraft into a suspected UAS area because of a neighbors complaint? Do you see the absurdity of this claim?

For the record, I have asked the FSDO in Miramar FL to reach out to the Naples PD about this matter. If they are indeed dispatching a MANNED aircraft to track down a drone they might need to re-evaluate their procedures.
Hmmm. ??‍♂️

Update on incident request: No response from the records department yet. I gave them the incident address, my name, approximate time, general location, and a description of the incident. I'm not going to hold my breath for a response.

Reactions: Droniac
What I don't understand is how there is responsible flying happening when you can not be aware of your surroundings due to trees a nd limited distance. I fly my neighborhood and I am constantly checking the sky and the camera. Sometimes I make an unneeded circle just to check the sky. I guess I feel that since we are to yield to all manned aircraft; we need to drop lower than or just above the tree and hover. No matter how you look at it, if you are responsible for downing a manned aircraft, you will hang so to speak and rightfully so. I do like that my DJI FPV notifies me when an aircraft is near. It has happened several times and I immediately descend below tree level or land.
A note about ADS-B. Not all manned aircraft transmit their location. Especially police helicopters. Whenever one flies in proximity to my ADS-B equipped mav air 2 , it doesn't report an aircraft nearby. It usually reports private helicopters and Emergency services helis, but never police helis. They must be allowed not to have to transmit, due to the nature of what they do.

A note about ADS-B. Not all manned aircraft transmit their location. Especially police helicopters. Whenever one flies in proximity to my ADS-B equipped mav air 2 , it doesn't report an aircraft nearby. It usually reports private helicopters and Emergency services helis, but never police helis. They must be allowed not to have to transmit, due to the nature of what they do.
Gottcha...that makes sense...thanks.

If you're flying so far away that you can't See & Avoid then you're not flying by the Regulations. If you even remotely think you are going to cause an incident with a Manned Aircraft you have the CSC option. Yes this could create another incident but you are obligated to See and AVOID Manned aircraft period!!

I gotta say your attitude and actions (if they are indeed as you describe) would probably fall under gross negligence and reckless behavior. If you KNOW there is Manned Aircraft activity in the area and you still fly in such a way as to potentially have an incident, you are the problem.

I hope you seriously reconsider flying in the area you mention as to NOT become the first UAS operator to bring down a Manned Helicopter. Remember those aircraft have LIVIING PEOPLE on board and regardless of what your thoughts are they have FULL RIGHT OF WAY! If you have to land in a swamp, field, person's yard SO BE IT!
One thing I haven't read so far from the OP is whether he had his strobe on. That may have caught their attention and if his drone is more than 500' away with trees or whatnot in between then he is violating the VLos intent. at least as this newbie interprets the rules...

One thing I haven't read so far from the OP is whether he had his strobe on. That may have caught their attention and if his drone is more than 500' away with trees or whatnot in between then he is violating the VLos intent. at least as this newbie interprets the rules...
I didn't think I needed to mention my use of Anti Collision lights. It's a given. Of Course I was using lights. If I didn't, the police probably wouldn't have been alerted to the drone.

Reactions: New England Droning
Notice: I still haven't received a police incident report from the records department. At this point, I doubt they will send anything.

Sounds right on this end. Godspeed

Sounds right on this end. Godspeed
They were on. There were 4 Firehouse XL lights blinking away. The most powerful strobes currently on the market. That's what made the neighbors call the police in the first place. I almost would have been better off , if I didn't use lights. The whole incident wouldn't have happened. But, I will always use the lights for VLOS and obviously anti-collision.

Notice: I still haven't received a police incident report from the records department. At this point, I doubt they will send anything.
Are you sure you sent it to right agency? The only reason I ask is because I thought you said city of Naples PD patrol cars and officers arrived on scene and spoke with you. You did not say who owned the helicopter. You said that you sent public records request to county. You have to make sure you send request to right agency or entity, at city, county or state levels. Of course it’s possible there was no record made by anyone but if you want to verify the best way is usually through public records request made under your state’s public records act.

Are you sure you sent it to right agency? The only reason I ask is because I thought you said city of Naples PD patrol cars and officers arrived on scene and spoke with you. You did not say who owned the helicopter. You said that you sent public records request to county. You have to make sure you send request to right agency or entity, at city, county or state levels. Of course it’s possible there was no record made by anyone but if you want to verify the best way is usually through public records request made under your state’s public records act.
I'm sure it was sent to the right department. I talked to both Naples and Collier. Naples Said Collier county had the records, according to the incidents location. I guess I'll try again as you suggest. Wish me luck. I'd really like to see the report myself. I'm pretty sure a neighbor called. What they said to the police, must have been pretty inflammatory.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54