DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Helicopter flying towards drone. Tips?

In the SanFrancisco Bay Area there are a good number of helicopters flying at any given time. I always use the app FlightRadar24 to check what's in the air and to see where it might be heading. Coast Guard helicopters usually show up in the app, while military won't. Tourist helicopters generally fly a predictable route. It's law enforcement helicopters that are the most eradicate, especially if they move out of a patrol route into an active response to something on the ground. This is especially true for the East Bay Regional Park Police helicopters that are all over the place on a nice weekend. The last category are the medical air ambulances - but they typically are going to a hospital or back to their airport bases, and tend to fly using major ground landmarks like highways as the quickest way to get to where they're going.
I do the same thing. Even paid for flightradar24. It's an excellet app. But, as you said, CoastGuard, and Police often don't turn on their ADSB transmitters. The police fly so low, you can hear them only slightly, so you think they are far away, until, they are suddenly right on top of you.

In the SanFrancisco Bay Area there are a good number of helicopters flying at any given time. I always use the app FlightRadar24 to check what's in the air and to see where it might be heading. Coast Guard helicopters usually show up in the app, while military won't. Tourist helicopters generally fly a predictable route. It's law enforcement helicopters that are the most eradicate, especially if they move out of a patrol route into an active response to something on the ground. This is especially true for the East Bay Regional Park Police helicopters that are all over the place on a nice weekend. The last category are the medical air ambulances - but they typically are going to a hospital or back to their airport bases, and tend to fly using major ground landmarks like highways as the quickest way to get to where they're going.
I’m not sure I clearly understand your question

There are quite a few videos on YouTube that show CSC performed from a 'decent' height, no more than the 400', and able to restart before it it hits Earth.
I expect you need time to let go of the sticks to allow them to recentre, then move the sticks back to CSC.
Quads seem to fall upright, as they are fairly well balanced and the props act as resistance up top . . . maybe a bit of swaying motion, but restarting seems to work ok.

There are quite a few videos on YouTube that show CSC performed from a 'decent' height, no more than the 400', and able to restart before it it hits Earth.
I expect you need time to let go of the sticks to allow them to recentre, then move the sticks back to CSC.
Quads seem to fall upright, as they are fairly well balanced and the props act as resistance up top . . . maybe a bit of swaying motion, but restarting seems to work ok.
I'll let you know how well it works. Just go 400 ft and do the CSC and, I'm joking. Not something i'd think about testing. LOL. ?

Not something i'd think about testing. LOL.

True, the YouTube channels that do this are usually given one to test fly etc, so not their $$$ if it goes pear shaped.

Just good to know I guess, better than having it crash to Earth.
If a pilot was worried about a manned aircraft to do a CSC to get down fastest, it'd likely be they are up around the max legal altitude, nothing to lose I suppose trying a CSC restart.

I'd say after the aircraft shuts down (after 3 second CSC), by the time you let go the sticks, do CSC again, it'd have dropped a fair way to be relatively safe to whatever problem there was.

True, the YouTube channels that do this are usually given one to test fly etc, so not their $$$ if it goes pear shaped.

Just good to know I guess, better than having it crash to Earth.
If a pilot was worried about a manned aircraft to do a CSC to get down fastest, it'd likely be they are up around the max legal altitude, nothing to lose I suppose trying a CSC restart.

I'd say after the aircraft shuts down (after 3 second CSC), by the time you let go the sticks, do CSC again, it'd have dropped a fair way to be relatively safe to whatever problem there was.
I've had emergency landings and a few strange sudden power loses ie 2 forced powered landings and 2 drop out of the sky type incidences. I am one not to fly directly over roof tops, pavement, cars or people. So, when I had these things happen, no one or no thing was damaged. My drones survived except for a few minor repairs I was able to perform myself. I try to stay over grassy areas or areas with vegitation for cushioning in case I go down or need to go down. Hopefully, it's never to avoid a manned aircraft.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent