DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Heliports and No Fly Zones

ArtsyFartsy

Reactions
Hello,
I am a new and first time drone pilot...for a total of about 60 seconds. I've had major frustration setting up everything, and finally thought I crossed that bridge. I took off, inside my house, for 15 seconds and my Mavic Air landed itself with a warning that I'm in a no fly zone. I have the B4UFly app and there are literally 45 heliports within 5 miles of me (the closest actual airport is 13 miles). I read that I have to let the location know when and for how long I will fly. Seriously, I have to notify 45 heliports about this??? I also read that there is not an easy, straightforward approach to do this. Anyone have any knowledge?? I am in Houston, TX (77006 zip) near several TV stations and the TX Medical Center.

Thanks for your help!

Does it do the same thing outdoors with good GPS reception?

Thank you for responding!! I actually continued to struggle with it and ended up at Best Buy for help (it was ordered through Costco, though). Something was malfunctioning with the device. I bought a new one from BB and it works perfectly! It was easy to set up and I had none of the bizarre issues like with the original one.
Now if it would just stop raining in Houston.....

Thank you for responding!! I actually continued to struggle with it and ended up at Best Buy for help (it was ordered through Costco, though). Something was malfunctioning with the device. I bought a new one from BB and it works perfectly! It was easy to set up and I had none of the bizarre issues like with the original one.
Now if it would just stop raining in Houston.....

Where are you in 77006? I live in Montrose and fly around Buffalo Bayou frequently.

I'm by the Montrose HEB! Right now I'm so new I'm afraid to do much. DJI is offering an all day class on Jan 14 that I will be taking to hopefully get up to speed with technique, rules and regulations. Let me know if you need the link to the class. Registration is around $175 and the class in in the Galleria area.
I see you joined Dec 7. Are you as new to this as I am?

I'm by the Montrose HEB! Right now I'm so new I'm afraid to do much. DJI is offering an all day class on Jan 14 that I will be taking to hopefully get up to speed with technique, rules and regulations. Let me know if you need the link to the class. Registration is around $175 and the class in in the Galleria area.
I see you joined Dec 7. Are you as new to this as I am?

I bought the drone last April. I don't have a lot of time on it but I did get my FAA Part 107 license so I think I am up to speed on rules and regulations. I really wanted it to film triathlons and try to make a little money from that.

These really are easy to fly. Just make sure you have a good GPS signal and your compass is oriented correctly.

I am looking to use in my established photography business, so I too will need to get the FAA Part 107 license! I had big dreams of flying in Memorial Park but I see on their website that it is not allowed. Bummer.
Are you a triathlete?

Yes. I suppose I am a triathlete. A good one? No. But a triathlete non the less.

I didn't know Memorial Park didn't allow drones. I was running there not too long ago and saw what I thought were some good spots to fly and film.

Kudos to you, even though you don't think you're a good one!!

Maybe I will run into you one day in the area!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez