DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello all.....Newbie here.... Mavic Pro due in a couple of days

Grmtnmn

Reactions
Hello all. I have thought a long time, off and on, about getting a drone so I finally purchased one. I will actually be receiving it in a couple of days. That said, I have started to research where and how to fly it. I started with the FAA website to find out what the rules are and found them to be straightforward and reasonable enough, however, I mistakenly assumed that the FAA was the only law making body pertaining to it. Now that I have looked at the hobby in more detail, I see that it appears the states, cities, and counties are also making laws regulating and/or banning their use. I can see that pursuing this hobby is not going to be as easy as I assumed. Living here in the SF Bay Area, I am finding trouble so far researching online for a place where I will be able to fly it. So far I found a stale thread indicating Baylands Park was a good place, but then I found another post saying it has been outlawed there, if I read it correctly. Others have mentioned Treasure Island is a good place. It appears the entire East Bay Regional Parks system is completely banned, which is really unfortunate because those wide open spaces are near me. I guess I have my work cut out for me in regards to learning how to fly it and where to fly it, the latter seeming to possibly be the tougher of the two. I remember what seems like not long ago when I could find people flying RC planes in our local park. I and many others enjoyed watching them. Who would have imagined that someday that would become illegal? Times they are a changing. I am optimistic that joining others at this forum will help me in this endeavor to engage in this hobby.. As the saying goes, "2 heads are better than one," so with all the people here, I imagine there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Hello all. I have thought a long time, off and on, about getting a drone so I finally purchased one. I will actually be receiving it in a couple of days. That said, I have started to research where and how to fly it. I started with the FAA website to find out what the rules are and found them to be straightforward and reasonable enough, however, I mistakenly assumed that the FAA was the only law making body pertaining to it. Now that I have looked at the hobby in more detail, I see that it appears the states, cities, and counties are also making laws regulating and/or banning their use. I can see that pursuing this hobby is not going to be as easy as I assumed. Living here in the SF Bay Area, I am finding trouble so far researching online for a place where I will be able to fly it. So far I found a stale thread indicating Baylands Park was a good place, but then I found another post saying it has been outlawed there, if I read it correctly. Others have mentioned Treasure Island is a good place. It appears the entire East Bay Regional Parks system is completely banned, which is really unfortunate because those wide open spaces are near me. I guess I have my work cut out for me in regards to learning how to fly it and where to fly it, the latter seeming to possibly be the tougher of the two. I remember what seems like not long ago when I could find people flying RC planes in our local park. I and many others enjoyed watching them. Who would have imagined that someday that would become illegal? Times they are a changing. I am optimistic that joining others at this forum will help me in this endeavor to engage in this hobby.. As the saying goes, "2 heads are better than one," so with all the people here, I imagine there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained.
Howdy from Wyoming Grmtnmn, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent people here.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf