DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello From Basingstoke UK Buying MP2 tomorrow

Randall8686

Reactions
Just thought I would check in and say hi, plan on buying a MP2 tomorrow as a little treat for my travels. Have flown drones in the past about 6 years ago when I make a TBS Discovery with DJI controller. Things have come a long way and want to get back into it.

Been doing loads on homework on where I can fly etc and plan on taking the drone to the US and Hawaii in a couple of months. Plan on buying the MP2 with the fly more bundle most likely from jessops tomorrow as they have a great price.

Is there anything else I should consider? Planning on two 128gb cards and an iPad holder so I can use an iPad Air 2 as the screen to fly with. Also thinking of taking out the DJI refresh although finding it if it did sink I’m sure is not possible as assume they don’t float lol!

Anyway looking forward to chatting with you all in the future and sure I will be along with stupid questions in the near future. Flying it I will be fine as I also fly rc planes and helis :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Reactions: Randall8686
Welcome to the forum! :)

The items you mentioned will get you off to a good start. Maybe wait until you get some flying under your belt before you start buying a bunch of additional accessories that you might never need.

Reactions: Randall8686
Thanks guys! Notice your from the US travelling around the US with a drone on planes, how does this go down with US Customs etc? I will shorty be flying into Vegas then Hawaii then onto SAN Fran all in one trip. Hoping to take the Mavic as hand luggage all the way.

Arris Raptor pontoons

I've liked the idea of those since seeing them for the MP and other DJI drones . . . if the attachment is solid, they'd be great for hand catching.
I imagine the lower sensors wouldn't be an issue if you could grab it like a Phantom by a skid.

Of course add pontoons and it'd be good for water recoveries, but I personally wouldn't attempt landing on water in general with them (mist etc from prop wash, tipping), if fitted for over water flights.
Just the body retrieval if it went down into water, and then maybe only a benefit if you have refresh ?

Expect the Raptor skids and pontoons would have greater wind resistance than getterback = less flight time, but a good option to get the hand catching main benefit from the skids.

I plan on buying refresh so could be ideal.

Does anyone know can you keep buying refresh each year or is it a one trick pony?

Not 100% sure, but think from memory you get 2 cracks at it, but only in the first year . . . I suppose after that you would have learned both flying and little idiosyncrasies of the various DJI products refresh is available for.

Just checked, yes above is correct.

Just thought I would check in and say hi, plan on buying a MP2 tomorrow as a little treat for my travels. Have flown drones in the past about 6 years ago when I make a TBS Discovery with DJI controller. Things have come a long way and want to get back into it.

Been doing loads on homework on where I can fly etc and plan on taking the drone to the US and Hawaii in a couple of months. Plan on buying the MP2 with the fly more bundle most likely from jessops tomorrow as they have a great price.

Is there anything else I should consider? Planning on two 128gb cards and an iPad holder so I can use an iPad Air 2 as the screen to fly with. Also thinking of taking out the DJI refresh although finding it if it did sink I’m sure is not possible as assume they don’t float lol!

Anyway looking forward to chatting with you all in the future and sure I will be along with stupid questions in the near future. Flying it I will be fine as I also fly rc planes and helis :)
And a hello from Basingstoke from me too!

And a hello from Basingstoke from me too!
Haha ! Nice to have a fellow local, can you recommend and decent local sites to have first few test flights? Mavic 2 is sat here waiting to fly this afternoon

Do you fly around Here much?

I am far end Kempshott area

Try Old Down (just south of Gabriel Park): avoid flying over the houses, though, as there is one native that gets restless! I - of course - always avoid flying over houses; but in the course of trying out the quickshots, the drone slightly overflew one property and a Lady came marching out. That is the only problem I have ever had.

I have flown on Brighton Hill Playing fields, Old Down, Crabtree Plantation and Basingstoke Common (for shots of Basing House). I don’t fly as much as I should......

Haha, I flew on Old Down for my first flight. Went really well. Not tried any of the quick shot stuff yet still feel quite nervous flying it tbh for some reason. Pushed out to 800 meters and was for some reason untrusting of it. I’m sure after a bit of getting used to it I will trust it a little more.

Want to try flying with a friend who has one as he is comfortable pushing his so he can follow me so I can learn to trust it.

What happens if you loose signal? Assume it will just go into RTH?

I don’t like flying over houses so that’s not a problem for me tbh. I would not like one flying over my house so kinda respect that back. Although a friend lives on Gabriel park so I did go right to the edge to take a shot of his house but was not over a house but right on the fence line.

If you haven't played with settings, it should be on default, which should be RTH at 30m.

But, this may not be a suitable mode or height for every flight, so you should adjust as needed for every flight, to suit surroundings and flight plan.

Sometime setting to hover is best, if under tree canopy for example.

I haven't as yet had a flight where I've felt auto landing is a good idea for loss of signal, but there may be a scenario or two out there.

In an ideal situation where the aircraft has a usable GPS signal, it will ascend to the set RTH altitude (the altitude over top of the takeoff location), return home, and land.

Here are some other things that could happen:
  • If the aircraft is too close to the home point, it will auto land at its current location.

• If the aircraft does not have a usable GPS signal, it will auto land at its current location.

• If you change the Remote Controller Signal Lost setting in DJI GO to Hover, the aircraft will hover in place at its current location and auto land if the battery reaches the critically low level.

• If you change the Remote Controller Signal Lost setting in DJI GO to Landing, the aircraft will auto land at its current location.

• If the wind is too strong for the aircraft to make progress toward the home point, it will drift away with the wind to an unknown location and auto land when the battery reaches the critically low level.

• If the aircraft does not have enough battery power to make it back to the home point, it will land in an unknown location somewhere in between the home point and the location where it started flying home.

• If a no fly zone comes between you and the aircraft, the aircraft could reach that zone on the way home and auto land since it's not allowed to fly into it.
Carefully read the "Return to Home" section of the Mavic 2 Pro manual (a few times). It covers a lot of the common situations you'll counter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143