DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Maine

Hello, thanks for responding to this thread. I have noticed the number of restrictions on scenic locations across the state is significant. I think the state park restriction is probably the most frustrating given that I buy the annual state park pass each year it would've been nice to fly and photograph those areas from a new view. It is also hard to find information regarding where you can and cannot fly if its not an obvious place like near an airport or state or national park. I don't believe many of the towns have updated their information to include or exclude drones at this point. Since Mt.Battie is within a state park that's unfortunate you can't get views from the top although you almost don't need a drone to do so.
I am not positive , but I think the DJI Flly apps actually prevents one from flying in resricted zones. I have looked to see if Camden has any town restrictions and have not found any, so Curtis Island light should be a go. I have not checked Rockland yet. Rockland Breakwater may be too close to Owls Head Airport. I am more excited about summer flying and events like the Scooner Race, and Friendship races in Rockland. I have a boat so the islands and Penobscot bay are my playground. We do have an Iceboat club in Rockland so if the ice gets good I want to do some shooting there. I am totally a new comer to drone flying though so I might be ahead of myself. What part of Maine are you from?

I am not positive , but I think the DJI Flly apps actually prevents one from flying in resricted zones. I have looked to see if Camden has any town restrictions and have not found any, so Curtis Island light should be a go. I have not checked Rockland yet. Rockland Breakwater may be too close to Owls Head Airport. I am more excited about summer flying and events like the Scooner Race, and Friendship races in Rockland. I have a boat so the islands and Penobscot bay are my playground. We do have an Iceboat club in Rockland so if the ice gets good I want to do some shooting there. I am totally a new comer to drone flying though so I might be ahead of myself. What part of Maine are you from?

If the app does prevent from flying in restricted areas that would be helpful, I usually look on the map within the app before flying to check and see if its in any of the airport danger zones. I'm in Portland so there are warnings within the app around the Jetport. I was wondering if the Rockland Breakwater was legal or not it is really close to the airport, I have seen some beautiful drone video of the Breakwater during a storm where most of the wall is under water, really stunning stuff. Not sure if it was taken legally or not though, seems like a bunch of people like to the take the risk given what I've seen of drone footage of state parks on youtube. Having a boat really will open up possibilities for you though especially since you can launch from it. It's my first week flying a drone so I'm right there with you, totally in beginner mode.

Hello everyone, I'm new to drones and the drone community. I just bought my Mavic Pro and am planning on using it mostly for aerial photography and video footage here in coastal Maine. Is anyone else from the New England area and if so any recommendations on scenic spots to fly.
Hello, I just saw your post and thought I would reply. I am in midcoast Maine and love to fly, I have a couple flights in and love it. I would certainly enjoy flying with you if you have the time or desire to try a few new places.

Hello everyone, I'm new to drones and the drone community. I just bought my Mavic Pro and am planning on using it mostly for aerial photography and video footage here in coastal Maine. Is anyone else from the New England area and if so any recommendations on scenic spots to fly.
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton, Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic Pro, Fly safe and have fun!

Welcome to the forum. I had the pleasure of visiting Maine back in 2006. A beautiful place, and great for a drone.

I've noticed lately a bunch of drone videos on instagram that are definitely taken in restricted areas around Portland and in the Jetport no fly zone. Are people just hoping no one figures out its a no fly zone? Wondering if people fly early morning in hopes to not get caught? Places like Bug Light Park which are in a restricted zone on the DJI app have videos posted all the time, in fact I thought this would be a good spot as well because it overlooks the city and you can get some great photos but saw it was in the restricted zone. I've noticed some zones just restrict the altitude but this doesn't appear to be one of them. Obviously I'm not planning to break any rules, just wondering if a good amount of people risk breaking or bending the rules just to get a great shot.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki