DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from NYC

28mm

Reactions
Finally bit the bullet of wanting a drone since they came out!

I held myself back a number of times from getting one. If these existed when I was a teenager or in my 20's, I know I would have probably done more stupid things than I probably will do!

But the real reason is my girlfriend lives out of the city and there's perfect places around to fly it safely.

I didn't want to own one and either rarely or never fly it or fly it.

NYC is not the place to learn how to fly these things even if they are allowed with they don't seem to be in Manhattan.

Got an amazing unexpected surprise when I went out for my first flight this weekend. I asked my gf for her suggestions of places we can fly it and she said, "How about in the back of my condo?" I said what back of your condo..She replied, "Oh we have this huge field that is mowed and never used. It would be perfect!"

We walked to it and jaw dropped. Absolutely perfect place to learn!

FIrst couple of flights I was for the most part clueless and careful but it went well for first outing.

Yesterday, after reading and watching videos, I was more confident and went out again and ran down 4 batteries.

By the last flights, I was surprisingly comfortable but still got a sinking feeling if I flew it high and not even that far away...I still want to make sure I don't do anything stupid and really didn't feel like losing the drone on the first weekend with it.

Back to the city and updated the firmware. I thought I already did that but apparently not.

Decided it must be legal to fly in my own apartment!

So I did.. felt in control, felt experienced and dare I say 'cocky".

Then since I felt so confident I decided to shut off avoidance detection and the like.

Let's just say it was funny in a terrifying way as the Air approached me and i quickly corrected by sending it back into a lamp in the corner, which it had a mighty battle with. Ultimately the Air lost and wound up on it's back props spinning full speed on my new wood floor!

Pulled myself together, activated all the avoidance settings and we were off and attempting an aerial apartment tour but cut that short as the Air wouldn't get too close to anything!

Glad I decided day one to keep prop guards on when flying and am in no rush to be removing them anytime soon! Especially in the apartment! <joke)

Looks like a great forum and I look forward to participating!

Last edited:
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.
The Air is a nice portable quad. I have one myself. And don't try any of those fancy options like asteroid for example, until you are in a big open area.
Enjoy!

Reactions: 28mm
Welcome to the forum! :)

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.
The Air is a nice portable quad. I have one myself. And don't try any of those fancy options like asteroid for example, until you are in a big open area.
Enjoy!

Thank you for the welcome and the advice.

I wasn't able to set up the drone to be able to use hand gestures and the like and figured it was more important to learn the basics before I use any gestures or modes like asteroid, etc.

I had read open space is needed but since you mention it, how big an area is needed?

Thanks again!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.40805

Finally bit the bullet of wanting a drone since they came out!

I held myself back a number of times from getting one. If these existed when I was a teenager or in my 20's, I know I would have probably done more stupid things than I probably will do!

But the real reason is my girlfriend lives out of the city and there's perfect places around to fly it safely.

I didn't want to own one and either rarely or never fly it or fly it.

NYC is not the place to learn how to fly these things even if they are allowed with they don't seem to be in Manhattan.

Got an amazing unexpected surprise when I went out for my first flight this weekend. I asked my gf for her suggestions of places we can fly it and she said, "How about in the back of my condo?" I said what back of your condo..She replied, "Oh we have this huge field that is mowed and never used. It would be perfect!"

We walked to it and jaw dropped. Absolutely perfect place to learn!

FIrst couple of flights I was for the most part clueless and careful but it went well for first outing.

Yesterday, after reading and watching videos, I was more confident and went out again and ran down 4 batteries.

By the last flights, I was surprisingly comfortable but still got a sinking feeling if I flew it high and not even that far away...I still want to make sure I don't do anything stupid and really didn't feel like losing the drone on the first weekend with it.

Back to the city and updated the firmware. I thought I already did that but apparently not.

Decided it must be legal to fly in my own apartment!

So I did.. felt in control, felt experienced and dare I say 'cocky".

Then since I felt so confident I decided to shut off avoidance detection and the like.

Let's just say it was funny in a terrifying way as the Air approached me and i quickly corrected by sending it back into a lamp in the corner, which it had a mighty battle with. Ultimately the Air lost and wound up on it's back props spinning full speed on my new wood floor!

Pulled myself together, activated all the avoidance settings and we were off and attempting an aerial apartment tour but cut that short as the Air wouldn't get too close to anything!

Glad I decided day one to keep prop guards on when flying and am in no rush to be removing them anytime soon! Especially in the apartment! <joke)

Looks like a great forum and I look forward to participating!
Howdy from Wyoming @28mm , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic, Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun